Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:50 PM

Author Topic: MapGEN v0.8.7.2  (Read 54773 times)

Offline Plutonic

Re: MapGEN v0.8.6.1
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Ha! Yep, ok... I get the same thing. Will add that too the list :)

Offline MitenkovVanya

« Reply #256 on: September 07, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I can't download MapGEN from the website. Is it me or the website is down?

UPD: Nevermind, I downloaded it here -> https://worms2d.info/files/InstallMapGen.exe
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:24 AM by MitenkovVanya »
This account is inactive since January 25, 2020 because of my new nickname.
My new account: https://www.tus-wa.com/profile/m1t3nk0v/

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #257 on: September 07, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Hi!  Yes, sorry, the server is very much down… to be more accurate it is sat on my bedside table… I am working on both getting it fixed and migrating to something not in my house!

The link you found is a bit out of date, I will try and get the latest up somewhere in the next few days.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #258 on: September 07, 2018, 05:29 PM »
ARTemych released the egyptian theme
Spoiler! View

Offline Sensei

« Reply #259 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17 PM »
ARTemych released the egyptian theme

Got files to send me?

Plutonic, if you'll be free, pls add SiD's tetris terrain in next mapGEN update, would be nice. Don't know how to do it myself (even tho you said it's possible)

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #260 on: September 07, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Got files to send me?
Check description

pls add SiD's Tetris terrain in next mapGEN update, would be nice. Don't know how to do it myself (even tho you said it's possible)
It is possible, I was able to do it myself, which is why I asked the gradient question

Offline Plutonic

Re: MapGEN v0.8.6.2
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Ok, a new version is up that fixes the dodgey fort map terrain edge issue.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2018, 09:03 AM »
that reminds me... here's the Tetris theme

I feel like that we'll need to split themes into default, world party and community

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2018, 09:32 AM »
that reminds me... here's the Tetris theme

I feel like that we'll need to split themes into default, world party and community

Nice! That looks realy good :)

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39 AM »
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2018, 12:30 AM »
There is this issue where if you press generate a random amount of times it gets stuck at "Generating..." when it says on the bottom that the map was generated in 0.2 seconds.
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Hmm interesting, will see if I can get it happening here.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Plutonic, I really like it! It has been 3-4 years since I last posted here and during that time I have plunged myself into gamedev field. I'm developing a game inspired by W:A and I'm trying to implement a map generator.

If it's not a secret, I'd like to get some hints about the underlying algorithm you implemented:
  • Are you generating maps from noise? You mention about interpolation.
  • How do you texture grass?
  • Also interested how objects could be placed, I guess you decide it based on pixel normals of some sort...
  • RR generator is decent as well, I imagine you run some maze algorithm for that.
This might all be not relevant for my use case because the actual collision shapes are generated from image via contour tracing algorithm.

So yeah, I'd like to know your opinion.  ;)

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Hi! Happy to answer but don't have time right now, if I forget to do it later feel free to poke me!

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Plutonic, I really like it! It has been 3-4 years since I last posted here and during that time I have plunged myself into gamedev field. I'm developing a game inspired by W:A and I'm trying to implement a map generator.

Hey, it's looking pretty good! The rope and bazooka physics look pretty close to WA already.

If it's not a secret, I'd like to get some hints about the underlying algorithm you implemented:
  • Are you generating maps from noise? You mention about interpolation.

Nope, no noise in the standard island maps (though I do use noise in the SSR generator), the maps are made out of a selection of randomly (well, somewhat random, with some rules about how close to others they can be placed, and what areas they are allowed in) generated points, that are then ordered such that the lines between them don't cross and are then tessellated and interpolated to produce the final result. The interpolation in question is a Hermite Curve, as documented here:
http://www.cubic.org/docs/hermite.htm, though it is the tessellation stage that actually provides much of the shape. The tessellation algorithm went through MANY different versions, but the most recent is based on an image someone else in the community posted as a possible solution to making the maps nicer. So far I haven't had much luck finding it annoyingly, but if I stumble upon it I will post it again. But basically it involved adding new points in between two others at the mid-point, and then offsetting it perpendicular a randomised amount where the maximum allowed offset was restricted based on the distance between the original points, and it was not allowed to produce an overlap with the already existing lines.

• How do you texture grass?

This actually wasn't too tricky. The WA graphics provide an image of a small section of grass that tiles horizontally. In order to map it on to the generated map I split it up into as many images as the graphic is wide and then store them in an array. Then, for every pixel that is a "top edge of the map", we just place one of these 1px images on it (centered), where the modulus of the x co-ordinate is used to look up the correct image.

Code: [Select]
GetGrassSliceImage(pixel.x % xGrassImg.width)

• Also interested how objects could be placed, I guess you decide it based on pixel normals of some sort...

Urrrr, I probably *should* use normals. But it currently doesn't. And object placement is realy not all that great in MapGen to be honest!
The idea is basically:
1) Scan along the bottom of the object image and work out how wide the "base" of the object is, and where the middle of this base is.
2) Scan through all the edges of the map, look for areas in which the objects "base" would be entirely in the floor, and potentially there aren't other collisions with exisiting map/objects.

• RR generator is decent as well, I imagine you run some maze algorithm for that.

The RR generator is probably the one I am most proud of if I am honest, as while I didn't come up with the method myself, it took a LOT of reading / searching for something usable that provided the results I wanted - I think I was on the look out for solutions for a good 3 years or so!
My original version was indeed a maze generation algorithm, it would produce a basic maze, and then split the paths down the middle to produce a large loop. This works, but you get lots of back-tracking and a weird predictability to the maps, it also means that the start and end are always next too each other.

The current version is not a maze generation algorithm as such, and while I sort of remember the technique, not enough to explain it to someone else. I have managed to find the site that explained it well enough for me to work from at least: https://orden-y-concierto.blogspot.com/2014/12/unicursal-mazes-and-cavern-mazes.html

Hopefully that was helpful? If not, or you want to know more let me know and I will try my best!

Edit: Found the RR info, added it in!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:04 PM by Plutonic »