Forums > General discussion

Should they release Worms Armageddon v3.8 on Dec. 31st. even if it's unfinished?

<< < (15/26) > >>

Ytrojan:

--- Quote from: Sensei on May 03, 2018, 09:22 PM ---Probably talking to ghosts but who cares.

Any chance 3.8 (if it ever comes out) could implement WormNAT2 and pre-checked "load wormkit modules" box?
Every now and then there's new player(s) trying to figure out why host button not functioning properly.

Just now there was situation in #ag where 2 Polish guys tried host/join over and over again.
It's pretty demotivating for newcomers when they need to "hack" the game or even router just to play few funners with friends.

This can be easily avoided!(?)

--- End quote ---
Yeah, it's like a similar problem on another game. They are implementing a minigame into the permanent feature set, but they're taking too long.

Worms Armageddon is no different

StepS:

--- Quote from: Sensei on May 03, 2018, 09:22 PM ---Any chance 3.8 (if it ever comes out) could implement WormNAT2 and pre-checked "load wormkit modules" box?
Every now and then there's new player(s) trying to figure out why host button not functioning properly.

--- End quote ---

This is a legal, economic, and technical problem at the same time. If the option is included officially with the game, you become responsible for making sure it always works. Because it becomes part of the product that people paid money for.

Now, as you know, our developers do not receive any money from Steam purchases. In an ideal world, part of this money would be spent on supporting the WormNAT2 proxy. That is how game dev companies provide hosting for the players. But there's no income here, and as you know, the server is prone to go offline every now and then.
Needless to say Team17 themselves are not likely to give a damn about this. Otherwise we could perhaps see something like Steamworks-driven networking, and relay servers support (which what WormNAT2 essentially is).

I hope this clears some things up for you.

j0e:
Got any news about the update StepS / anyone?

Is it correct that the completed 3.8 update was submitted to Team17 for approval months ago? Or are we experiencing delays in development?

Sensei:

--- Quote from: StepS on May 12, 2018, 05:19 PM ---I hope this clears some things up for you.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, thx for your answer. Found one thing funny in all of that:

--- Quote from: StepS on May 12, 2018, 05:19 PM ---This is a legal, economic, and technical problem at the same time. If the option is included officially with the game, you become responsible for making sure it always works. Because it becomes part of the product that people paid money for.
--- End quote ---

Host button never works for ppl that paid money for this game.. And I don't see T17 sweating about it last 20 years :D
Don't see how would they be against CS & DC implement longterm fix for mentioned problem. But yeah, I get your point anyways.
Keep us informed from time to time m8, you surely know more about update than us peasants. Take care ;)

StepS:

--- Quote from: j0e on May 12, 2018, 05:42 PM ---Got any news about the update StepS / anyone?

--- End quote ---

Nothing I can share atm.

--- Quote from: Sensei on May 12, 2018, 09:45 PM ---Host button never works for ppl that paid money for this game
--- End quote ---

Just because people keep coming to #Help to report hosting issues doesn't mean it "never" works. People only speak when something doesn't work. But I have seen lots of newcomers silently host successful games with their partners in WormNET channels. So what you're saying is untrue.

The built-in hosting system implies that the network configuration is correct. It is taken care of by the user. Whether hosting works or not, depends on the connection type of the player. The issue is that there's no disclaimer for this, and no explanation when a "connection is failed". That is what should be improved in my opinion.

WormNAT2, on the other hand, implies that your game will be hosted no matter what. It is taken care of by the developers. That is different.
In any case the option should not be "enabled by default", even if implemented. Because hosting directly, rather than wasting community-hosted bandwidth, is always preferred especially if the user's network setup already allows that from the start. You get lower latency with direct hosting as well (which is not a concern in a turn-based game, but still). Remember the "Greetings" message? The point still stands. Routing traffic requires resources.

Also, if you think nothing is done to resolve the problem, you're wrong. In 3.6.29.0, UPnP forwarding was added, which accounts for many successfully hosted games these days, even though it doesn't work with all routers, and some networks are private.
HostingBuddy constantly pings every game hosted on WormNET. If there's a game that can't be joined, it will message the player when he comes back with further details on how to fix the problem. But of course many people will ignore the message.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version