Forums
May 06, 2024, 08:00 AM

Author Topic: Snooper project - help making it!  (Read 884 times)

Offline Tomi

Snooper project - help making it!
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I have holiday now and got a little free time so I am thinking about making a new WormNet Snooper program. I don't even know if I have the knowledge to make such a program, it may be that I will stuck at the beginning or something comes up and I will have to stop the project, but this game has given me so much fun, that I would like to try to give back something.

Well the first question is that do we need a new snooper program at all? If you guys think that we don't need it, then please stop me now! :D Well we have now The Wheat Snooper which is the best snooper program so far, but doesn't it have anything to be changed or to be completed? I am sure that we have still some good ideas to be implemented.

My idea is to make a snooper program which has a very user-friendly look, so even newbies could use it immediately. Another important feature could be a news section, which could contain the most important news about the worms world. You know I have read a lot of topics about how we could make W:A more popular, and I think that a very well-made snooper program could help that project a lot. I think players would enjoy if they could join WormNet fast and could keep-in-touch with others and the things that happen in the worms world with this program.

I have got also a lot of ideas, but we need to consider, that WormNet is just an IRC server, which protocol (IRC) is designed for text messages, so we can't really store a lot of data about a user that we would like to use. But everything may be possible, just need to work on it a little.

I may need also some help, there is a lot of things to do till the program can be released. The hardest part must be to make a good layout, user-friendly operations and to make it costumizable.

So if you have ideas about features or a good layout of the program, don't be afraid to share it ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:45 PM by Tomi »

Re: Snooper ideas and help making it!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:53 PM »
do a fork of websnooper with authentification, sound, word notification :D

Offline StepS

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:08 PM »
btw yeah, would be nice to have an opensource web snooper that could run like a server on some port. It would be very awesome
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Indeed, also websnooper miss a button "host" and since you login you can whisper and be whispered ! :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:05 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline hollow

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Just a thought - I remember reading about the idea of some sort of "match-maker" program where you could easily find TUS games. Not sure if this project would be the appropriate place to integrate this sort of functionality, but if it did, you might get lots of people on board.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13 AM »
That's right, you could enhance it with status (such as look for tus single/clanner) and have a button for match-maker

Offline Tomi

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Well matchmaking is a good idea. But it needs that users have to log in to the league site (with the snooper program), because like that we can really identify the player, so we will know that he/she is really looking for league game and not just pushing that button coz bored or even ban him/her if he/she press the button but always avoid playing.

TUS right now doesn't have the matchmaking system and I think it is not the task of the snooper program to have the matchmaking logic, but the league site. However I think it would be a cool help finding a league opponent, if the program would signal somehow that which user is looking for league game(s).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:23 AM by Tomi »

Offline MeTonaTOR

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Well, all you need is IRC Based client inside it, wormageddon files (wireshark will help you), and a lot of patience about exploding all <GAME ****>, <SCHEME ***> etc etc. I think is enough
<Asbest> alright im too sleepy, i seen too many idiots today. i hope no one will get what i got. have a good night
* Asbest (~Asbest@5b606b87.bfe48da6.6c2d5d00.IP4) Quit (Quit)
<StepS> party
<OutofOrder> ♫♪♫♪ \o/ _o/ \o\  /o/ ♫♪♪♫
<Bamboy> ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
<StepS> (≧▽≦)
<Bamboy> ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
<WTF-8> ( . )   ( . )

Offline Tomi

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Well I can already join the channels, sending messages, get the active hosts, and I can even join them, so it seems that there won't be any problems about solving the basics. :)

Offline Tomi

Re: Snooper project - help making it!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 01:48 PM »
The progress is about 70% I guess.. I think I can release it in January if nothing comes up ;)

Prior info: it will contain a rudimentary match making system.. or at least it will help you finding opponent for league games ;)