Forums
May 02, 2024, 09:10 AM

Author Topic: The Rotated League  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Ray

Re: The Rotated League
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 10:10 PM »
-I am not worry about the activity
-I don't like the rotated/division combination
-I do like however the divisions idea, and I think the best way it would work is if it will be allround league best-of-five
-The biggest issue, I think, is how you decide which players to accept into the league? I'll elaborte.. If each division consists of 6 players, then 3 divisions will make room for only 18 players. I don't think there's a point in 4th division, I mean, I don't think anyone would actually play there.. Who can bother playing there? The whole point is to be the champ, and if you're a player in 4th devision, you need a minimum of 3 months playing just so you can climb to first division, and then another month to be the champ. Maybe that's not true for everyone, but I just think people really care about winning or at least playing in first division - with the good guys - and won't bother, or care enough, to play in the low levels. That leads me to the real issue: How do you select the top 18 players of W:A ? I only assume at least 100 players will be willing to sign up in the first months.
I was not planning on limiting the number of divisions. My idea was that not everyone who is registered on the site is automatically put right into the league, players would have to sign up for the next season. If the number of players who signed up reaches 6, new division is started, if not, then a division of less than 6 is started, I don't exactly know the way it would work yet, but it's something like this.

It is true that it might take a bit long to fight yourself up to the first division, but if you don't have the ambition, you don't even start, and that really cuts back the number of players expected to be seen I think.

Maybe having 7 or 8 players in a division and eliminating/promoting 2 players could mix the players up a bit more, I don't know.

Yo Ray, this is (almost) exactly the system I used in the (early) days of WEL.

Dunno if it will work again though. TUS is so all-round and complete, it's hard to compete with that.

I think WEL had 3 divisions at one point, of about 20/24 people each. If I recall correctly the max number of games people could play was 30 (2 times against everyone). I made the divisions bigger than 15 players so that any inactive players or people who had given up would not have an impact on player's ability to max out. So people only needed to play 2/3 of the players in their league to reach the max limit of games. Made it a lot easier.. and well, every player in the division was good, so there was no incentive to avoid players.

As the seasons progressed though I had to limit the # of divisions from 3 to 2 (cl2k style), to eventually 1, as less and less players kept being active.
As WEL implies, it was only Elite scheme. I think for a system like this that works best. But a split in roper and default leagues could also be an options (bo3 Elite,T17,Hyst in default; bo3 Rope,RR,wxw/shop in the roper one).
Sounds interesting... One roping and one default season, huh? You guys are full of ideas. :)

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09 PM »
An idea I had a couple of years ago for getting games done is by having a weekly time to get the games done: Round one is played on thursday, at 7PM GMT (example). Be there or arrange a different time yourself.
Didn't work out as well as I thought, but it still got more games played than I thought :)

Offline Ray

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 01:25 AM »
We used premade schedules in the Hungarian Worms League, which was basically a similar system a few years back. It actually worked out quite well, except from a few instances. But I doubt there is any need for a weekly schedule in this case.