Forums
May 14, 2024, 04:54 PM

Author Topic: Compiling a big map pack, need tips!  (Read 1636 times)

Compiling a big map pack, need tips!
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:11 AM »
So I've been working on compiling a fairly encompassing starter map pack, something even more complete than the SfX pack, I thought it would be convenient for the new Steam players and for everyone in general. I've got pretty robust selections when it comes to RR and Roper, everything else could use a little help. I want to make it a fairly classic selection, so that we include every must-have map we can. Individual map suggestions are good, though it's even better if people can upload an author's full selection for a scheme.

Let me just outline what I have for each scheme:

Battle Race- I've got most of the older black and white maps, Bloopy, Djoszee, Walrus, but I need some newer authors. I have Scribe and Dario when it comes to color maps, any other necessary authors?
BnG- Not sure this even needs to be a section, mostly using some older maps.
Boom Race- Only got maps from Bloopy, Hybrid, Jase, Maury, Sic0, and BigBilly, tips appreciated.
Bow and Arrow- Should I include this scheme? If so, I should probably just use someone's BnA folder, if they think they have a pretty solid selection.
Bungee Race- Pretty much just Bloopy, Syc0, and a few Bloopy collaborations.
Capture the Flag- I have maybe 30 CTFs, most obtained through WMDB. This is a section where individual map suggestions would probably help a lot.
Fort- Bloopy, Djoszee, Shayxpere, TJH, and several authors who only have one map. I definitely need all the WWP maps, for starters.
Golf- Just downloaded every map on WMDB, around 50-60 of 'em, I'm guessing that's enough.
Jetpack Race- I have Dario, Bloopy, and just a few other authors with a couple maps.
Parachute Race- I have all the PRs on WMDB and 3 older ones from Bloopy, anyone got some hidden gems?
Rope Race- You name it, I probably have it. Although, I don't really have too many color maps here. I'm keeping Big RRs and Tower RRs in their own section.
Roper- I've got my maps, fab's maps, MrBlacksgy, Bloopy, Markavian, HHC, Camper, luz4k, THeDoGG, Rok, and a bunch more, but toss out any names y'all can.
Shopper- Bloopy, Dogma, Silver86, EusKaDi, and a bunch of older maps. I have 12 FFie maps and 3 DarkOne maps, which are all the ones listed on WMDB, anyone know if there are more?
Mole Shopper- I'm thinking this is the only other form of shopper I should bother including, there are too many types. So many maps too choose from on WMDB, anyone got some suggestions? Considering how easy it is to make these, I probably won't want to include too many.
Super Sheep Race- I just have a smattering of maps, maybe someone could upload all of Cue's maps?
Tower Rope Race- I don't want to put too many maps in here, definitely no more than 50. I have about 30 right now, including several from Cheetah, yuurepoer, and some others. I pretty much just selected from the top 200 most downloaded on WMDB, but you guys should tell me the indispensable ones ;0.
Walk for Weapons- I downloaded all the maps on WMDB, should be plenty.
Warmer- I've got BaZa, franz, KRD, Mablak, nlF, OoO, Alenic, ANO, gAMbOa, and all the X-worms maps we've used since 2004... and also a few classic older maps like Cheesy. I could use some more WxW-style linear warmers, if anyone has a nice bundle.
Wascar- Well, I wouldn't worry about this scheme too much, but if someone has a plump Wascar folder, I'd like to see it ;O.
WxW- I've got barman, Euskadi, Berria, ANO, Silver86, nlF, wnL, Punisher, and several others. Any major authors I'm missing?

So yeah, that covers it, any help would be awesome. I could include a folder for miscellaneous schemes too, possibly. Any schemes people think absolutely need to be covered?

Re: Compiling a big map pack, need tips!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:35 AM »
Battle Race - theres shit load of good/very good colour maps out there. First to mention authors like Nail, Wyvern, Understreet, Drumstick, Scribe - those are my favs.

BnG - forget it

Bungee - just like BR - i have my own favs, if you need direct links talk to me on irc

CTF / WFW - yeah, thats hella map quality dependend, so hardcore selection would be needed. Im probably too nazi if it comes to these 2, its like out of ~200 ctf/wfw maps only 20 are playable to me.

Mole - forget it, PNG maps are not only clumsy but ugly and without grass on the top

You should think of including Board Games - those give a lot of fun to new people especialy casuals, just theres 1 problem - basicaly every map requires original scheme file.
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:49 AM »
One mappack covering many schemes is a bit harsh. Categorizing them a bit would make more sense. For example, Wascar is rarely played. Mole shopper maps are basically one map with a different image.

IMO gathering many schemes (specially colored maps) will increase the size of the mappack which matters a lot. Many people with slow/medium connections won't bother to download big mappacks (like me) and that's the biggest flaw and would work against the concept of familiarizing new players.

My suggestion is to break the mappack into pieces, more related schemes and control the number of maps for each author, just enough to present their best work.

Submit the mappack on TUS, it makes your life much more easier. A sample:
https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/mappack-36/

Fluffy has categorized his maps into folders. You can click on each folder and see the maps inside. You can create folders inside folders, rename them, delete them, add maps to, delete maps from them, all online. Meaning the second you're done editing, your mappack is updated. You don't have to update the zip file manually each time it is updated and upload it again on some server. That gives you the power to edit your mappack, add authors/remove them anytime you want.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:51 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:31 AM »
Size is definitely important, if it wasn't, I might as well just be trying to compile every single map out there. Right now, the map folder comes out to be about 207 MB, and it's pretty respectable as is. It will definitely remain under 300 MB, and of course, I could go much lower. But yeah those features would be majorly helpful. As far as server space goes, is 200-300 MB too much for the site, MI?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Nah it's fine but since it will be the first mappack with this size on TUS, I'll have an eye on it. You can upload the mappack in its current state (the zip file), then continue adding maps online.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:03 PM »
For shopper, I would include this map and a couple of EVILxBUNNY maps. Not sure if my shopper maps are suited for the must-have list, though I was pretty pleased with the last one.

For WFW, you may want to make a selection of the really good maps, since there are some bad ones out there. Personally, I really liked ShootMe's maps since they were really well balanced overall - Perhaps not all map parts are used, but you were definitely moving around a lot to get the upper hand. Same goes for FFie's maps, but I might be a bit biased there :)

For RR, I think it would be best to split up your selection somewhat, like TonY did for the RRkit map pack - since not all players look for the same thing in a RR map. Some people go for linear and fast gameplay, others may like a more complicated map with perhaps the odd death trap or two.

Is tie dye included in your warmer pack? Loved the hell out of that map.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Is tie dye included in your warmer pack? Loved the hell out of that map.

It better be, I was very clear in my instructions.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:31 AM by KoreanRedDragon »

Offline Pleiadian

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:00 PM »
I'd love to see a map pack for free and classic schemes and all individually foldered.

10 of each would be sufficient for me.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 06:01 AM »
I've got a pretty solid base now, though I still need some help. MI, I can't upload the thing on the upload a map page, should I send it to you directly maybe?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 06:08 AM »
Ok send it to me.

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:08 AM »
What about branding it with an official TUS label, making newcomers more keen on downloading it?

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Husk Wascar mappack

https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/mappack-60/

I might have all authors of ttrrr and roper here (.bit).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:21 PM by Insan3Lik3 »
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:46 PM »
Battle Race- I've got most of the older black and white maps, Bloopy, Djoszee, Walrus, but I need some newer authors. I have Scribe and Dario when it comes to color maps, any other necessary authors?
Necessary/legendary b&w BR maps:
theperk
garg0yle
MrT
bas1c
sephiroth
mrblacksgy

Color is a different story, refer to lacoste's post, he knows more im sure.  Catch Bloopy on IRC, hes got a huge mappack collection of the old black and white maps.  theperk and garg0yle maps are a must though, basically kick-started the genre and still some of the best out there.