Forums
May 01, 2024, 05:10 AM

Author Topic: Any good photographers?  (Read 3250 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Any good photographers?
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:12 AM »
I bought this yesterday, it will arrive within the next 6 hours:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78032/show.html

I plan on doing alot with lalo over the next year, visiting places, taking pictures of beautiful scenery/weird things n whatnot, and would like to capture as much of it as possible, I generally know how to use it, but does anyone have any tips/advice which would be useful to get the most out of it?

Offline Ray

Re: Any good photographers?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:53 AM »
You should point it's lense directly to what you are about to capture, I heard that's like good or something? I don't know, I play worms.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:06 AM »
You should point it's lense directly to what you are about to capture, I heard that's like good or something? I don't know, I play worms.

THANKS  :D

Now I feel pro xDxD

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:10 AM »
I've got a Nikon too, welcome to the club!

I should know enough about it to be able to explain the basics. The rest you'll figure out as you play with it anyway, but you know where to find me.

Offline barman

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I am a Nikon owner as well. You can find some of my photographs in the "what's your real passion" thread in off topic.

First of all you should learn to post process your photographs on a computer (color balance, levels, curves etc.). Buy Photoshop Elements or download Gimp for that.

Also, do you already know how does shutter speed, aperture and ISO setting affect the pictures? That knowledge is not essential to be able to take photographs with a DSLR camera, but it never hurts to grasp some theoretical fundamentals ;)

Here's a good beginner's tutorial I found... http://lifehacker.com/5815742/basics-of-photography-the-complete-guide
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Have you heard about Nikon's recent statement on their Fb profile? A lot of customers said they will resign from further buying their equipment. Though Nikon has placed a response to this issue. Just a curiosity, I'm not into photographing. :)

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:59 AM »
photographer? sX PyroMan work as photographer! :D

Offline Prankster

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Use it a lot and you'll explore! :)

There are only a very few things you must know about using your camera.

Play around with shutter speed. Learn what's the slowest you can use without a stand and without getting blurry images. Take photos of a fountain to see how blurry/sharp the water(drops) gets with different speeds, or take photos of a cyclist (follow the movement while you shoot) to see how blurry background you get.

Try different apertures. With a higher f number you will need slower shutter speed but the depth of field (the spatial and plain province of sharpness) will be bigger, and vice versa.

If you take a picture of something horizontal and you actually want it to appear horizontal on the picture, watch for it to be horizontal. :D This might sound trivial, but it's not. Even a little bit of displacement can be annoying. You can adjust the lines of the object to the margins of the viewfinder, for example.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-82m1nEgmcuo/SAm2D11_tMI/AAAAAAAAGKg/Qh3ggKVbA4k/s640/SH100120.JPG it feels like this building is falling down.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8WV8g1VIkxU/R9ZzOI7NtzI/AAAAAAAAGDY/piD6TFm9WN8/s1152/_H100015.JPG
If you don't take photos of horizontal objects, but there are straight lines: lines that go from the bottom left to the top right are comfortable to view at for the most people.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ka93KnXkB0E/SAm2RV1_tTI/AAAAAAAAGLY/Z0VFP06cBmQ/s640/SH100139.JPG this feels like you are falling down from the picture, isn't it?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jDXv76Peu8E/SQCHuStZPeI/AAAAAAAAKQY/whtw6jyz07w/s912/SH102884.JPG

Plus one more thing from me. I don't have a professional flash, so I use the built in. But I hate when I get pictures with burning faces and background dark as hell, so I found out a very simple method to avoid this: use longer exposure time, around 1-2 secs (with f around 5-10), and the flash. This way you get somewhat lighter backgrounds, but the main object will be still quite sharp, because the flash illuminated it for a very little time with strong light. example: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZQl-45S0Q0c/TjU84fi6GdI/AAAAAAAARFU/wqcW4g0OvAk/_MG_5155.jpg

Oh, and try every time of the day! In the morning, or afternoon when the subeams shine through leaves with a low angle, that can be beautiful. ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:17 PM by Prankster »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Great advice Ramone xDxD I didn't understand some of it, I am a noob with professional cameras, when I said I know how to use it, I meant the very very basics, like connecting it to a PC, the automatic features, zoom in and out lol, getting videos from it, how to attach the lense and generally focus a bit at different distances.

I think I have a great eye for weird things to take photo's off, we will see in time xD

First of all you should learn to post process your photographs on a computer (color balance, levels, curves etc.). Buy Photoshop Elements or download Gimp for that.

Also, do you already know how does shutter speed, aperture and ISO setting affect the pictures? That knowledge is not essential to be able to take photographs with a DSLR camera, but it never hurts to grasp some theoretical fundamentals ;)

Here's a good beginner's tutorial I found... http://lifehacker.com/5815742/basics-of-photography-the-complete-guide

It'd be cool to learn more about post processing, I know absoluletely zilch, well at least I think I know nothing about it, I don't know about shutter speed, aperture and ISO setting.

But I plan on obviously learning how to use it as good as I can until I can take pictures that satisfy, I don't want to seem ignorant and spend good money on a professional camera and use it just to take facebook pictures of a hairy hungover 30 year old with a toothbrush up his nose (I don't use facebook, but I do have that photo on my bebo ahaha)

I will read that tutorial later thanks for the information barman that's great.

Dulek lol, I read that statement, I don't think it's that bad tbh, I am not (yet) a passionate photographer so maybe thats why I don't feel offended, but then again, that statement (even though accidental) is probably the opinion of the person who wrote/posted it, and if they have so much confidence in Nikon, then i'm f@#!ing glad I chose Nikon xD

KRD, i'll catch you there mate xD

Offline Prankster

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Great advice Ramone xDxD I didn't understand some of it, I am a noob with professional cameras, when I said I know how to use it, I meant the very very basics, like connecting it to a PC, the automatic features, zoom in and out lol, getting videos from it, how to attach the lense and generally focus a bit at different distances.

It'd be cool to learn more about post processing, I know absoluletely zilch, well at least I think I know nothing about it, I don't know about shutter speed, aperture and ISO setting.

I hardly do post processing, only cropping and such easy shits.
with higher ISO you need less light with the same shutter speed and aperture, but get more noise, so use the lowest you can (unless you want noise, but you can add some at post processing too)
f number means the rate of the focal length and the aperture diameter

"Ramone" lol

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Oh sorry, Ramone rofl, sorry haha, Prank :P

Offline Prankster

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:16 PM »
I wish I was Ramone! ;X  8) 8) ;D

Offline nino

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 09:13 PM »

komo taking a pic xDDD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 01:15 AM »
my flat mate works at jessops lol, I might be able to get you a discount komo (really). Ill ask him xD
worm and learn

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 08:39 AM »
my flat mate works at jessops lol, I might be able to get you a discount komo (really). Ill ask him xD

I've already ordered it/paid for it mate. Future reference could be cool though as i'll probably get updates and memory cards, stands and other crap lol xD As long as you don't need to go through hell for me haha, but I wouldn't say no :)