Forums
May 08, 2024, 08:36 PM

Author Topic: How the Cups function  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Ramone

How the Cups function
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:21 PM »
The way they were function on TuT too...
1. MI u arrange with trusted ppl to be MODs, every scheme should have it's own MOD (or few of them)..
2. MOD announce the rules for the cup he hosts
3. MOD can provide a map pack (if it's needed) so u can gather maps for ur map database thing...
4. MOD opens the sign ups until he gets a number of players (32, 48, 64..)
5. MOD make the groups of 4 players (by subjective method - according to ranks, skills, experience.. MOD can make 4 pots, so in every group theres 4 players from each pot... if any1 knows better method plz suggest it.. )
6. MOD announce the deadline for games to be played
7. Two players from each group goes further, playoffs with 16 players

Who's up for this?
Plz post up your suggestions and opinions, I'm just starting a fire here...   ;)

Offline obscure

Re: How the Cups function
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58 PM »
ye i really think some important schemes should have their own mod who made rules of that specific scheme.i totally agree with what u said ramone.
MonkeyIsland on August 26, 2010, 09:39 am:I'm considered as a noob

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Well, if any1 remembers cups from tut, and that they worked out pretty well I think we should stick to some old things like:
4. 16-32 ppl, depends of a scheme.
5. this one should be totally random, so everyone gets a fair chance

+ maybe coding a registration part and deadline thing+uploading replays for each round (it's like PO's, gj on that MI) would make it a bit more cool :)

Offline Ramone

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:39 PM »
5. this one should be totally random, so everyone gets a fair chance

I was thinking about pots so we could avoid having favorites in the same group..
For example in Intermediate Cup, U don't wanna have Dario, Bytor, Koras and Jigsaw in the same group... That wouldn't be fair imo...

Offline Ramone

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:11 PM »
C'mon, I need help here...
If some experienced MOD would say a word or two..? 

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:09 AM »
I think not being fair is spreading in different groups. Fair would be let the system pick between them. in football worldcup, They do not put strongest teams in different groups, do they?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Ramone if all the favorites are in one group and you change it , it's not random anymore  :(
Get 16 favorites guys and your prob is fixed  ;D

Offline Ramone

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I think not being fair is spreading in different groups. Fair would be let the system pick between them. in football worldcup, They do not put strongest teams in different groups, do they?

Actually they do... They also make 4 Pots separated by ranks...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_2008%E2%80%9309_group_stage
 xD

Ramone if all the favorites are in one group and you change it , it's not random anymore  :(
Get 16 favorites guys and your prob is fixed  ;D

Yeah, but what is 'random'? It's hard to guarantee... I mean, how could others know that it was random pairings... If I was in group (in inter) with Dario, Koras and Jigsaw, I'd thought "oh god, this MOD hates me..."  :P

Dunno... just thoughts...
If we do a 'random-system pairings' then MI would have to code some kind of pairing tool here on site, a? And I thought to give him a break.. at least with Cups ;P

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:38 PM »
We can't give him a break  :D

Offline Rioter

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Hello?

Ye ok no need for standings, so that's why I said no need to do free cup and classic cup ,no?
Basically what he said.

Now the cups and that are returning, I consider walking in these parts again (I dare touch the league even with a spiked stick which would kill me in two ticks).

OK, just for my two cents in this.

With the group pairing, I'd prefer Random as in RANDOM. Not "oh you're too good, let's pair you with another too good player" or "I must put all good players first, then the naff ones with the good and just say it's random" or base it on ranks. No.

How I feel the system should be set up

1) Authorised people (i.e. the Cup Moderators (which from TuT were Darkmaul, Rioter, Chaakman and GreeN)) would need to set up a cup in a control panel box. (i.e. from the My Panel).
2) They configure how many players there are going to be (i.e. 16/32/whatever math works)
3) Once set up, other players have the ability to join in tourneys.
4) Once the allocated slots are filled, a random table (like the table in TuT) is generated. (i.e. Group A has player 3, 4, 8, 13)
5) They both play, and then the winnings are reported.
6) After a specific amount of time (i.e. 21 days) if there are blanks and non-played games, they are given 0. If a player fails to play any game, they are automatically given the loss for their games. It would also mean they would not be able to join any other cup until further notice (like a cup ban if you see it that way)
7) Once the groups are done (or still being done, but still sufficient results to continue) then the knockout stages can proceed.
8) A winner is then declared from the final. (There could also be a third place playoff)

9) Any trophies could be put in the "Trophy Cabinet" in your profile and possibly displayed on the forum left info part

The Cup Moderator's job is to make sure everything runs smoothly, resolves any issues, and so on. If there were any problems, on the cup page for the specific cup there could be like a mini forum or something like that.

That's a rough idea on how it could work. I haven't thought of every stinking scenario, so don't hack my head off.

Offline Ramone

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Hello?

Hello!
Glad to see someone cares...

Anyway, basically it's the same way as I suggested for Cups to function..
Only diff is that 'groups-making' stuff... How do you make 'random generated tables'? Use pairing tool program here on TuS or..?

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I guess Monkey will code us something :)
And agree with rioter

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 08:52 PM »
If you don't wanna run it manually, I guess you have to wait after the tourneys are done ^^

Unless I code cups first? :/
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rioter

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Hello?

Hello!
Glad to see someone cares...

Anyway, basically it's the same way as I suggested for Cups to function..
Only diff is that 'groups-making' stuff... How do you make 'random generated tables'? Use pairing tool program here on TuS or..?

Lemme suggest this. DONT WORRY, and

It will be sorted. If there's something drastically wrong then it can be sorted

Offline Ramone

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34 AM »
 :o

What are you talking about? Theres no panic or worries here... You've misunderstood something obviously... It's just simple communication... 

If you don't wanna run it manually, I guess you have to wait after the tourneys are done ^^

Unless I code cups first? :/

So what do we do..? Wait or start manually? To make a poll about that too? lol  :D