Forums
May 01, 2024, 01:08 PM

Author Topic: Temporary leauges instead of cups ?  (Read 682 times)

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
Temporary leauges instead of cups ?
« on: April 08, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Place all the players into one big group. Give them a week or 2 to play 1 game vs everybody else and proceed top 4/8/16/32 players into knockout.BANG ! Inactivity is no more.

The main reason as to why people are inactive in cups is that they can't find their specific cup opponents online at one specific time. But if instead of 3 group opponents. You had 31 group opponent. The change of coiciding with someone would be far greater.

Simply request that in order to advance a player has 70 percent of their games played. 1 point for a loss and 3 points for a win in order to encourage activity. Then in the knockouts #1Vs#9 and #2Vs#10 and so on so that the top 8 are staged to not see each other untill the quarters. And the top 4 won't see each other untill the semi finals. And the top 2 will meet each other first at semi finals.

I don't think this would be hard to implement at all and it would kill some problems with inactivty.

Re: Temporary leauges instead of cups ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Place all the players into one big group. Give them a week or 2 to play 1 game vs everybody else and proceed top 4/8/16/32 players into knockout.BANG ! Inactivity is no more.

Why would you need a knockout phase if you theoretically played everybody in the cup? I don't see how this will solve inactivity either

The main reason as to why people are inactive in cups is that they can't find their specific cup opponents online at one specific time. But if instead of 3 group opponents. You had 31 group opponent. The change of coiciding with someone would be far greater.

Or, if your time playing worms is limited, you'll have a greater number of players you need to arrange your games with. Cups are ideal for people who don't have a lot of time for WA but still want to get somewhere competitively.

Simply request that in order to advance a player has 70 percent of their games played. 1 point for a loss and 3 points for a win in order to encourage activity. Then in the knockouts #1Vs#9 and #2Vs#10 and so on so that the top 8 are staged to not see each other untill the quarters. And the top 4 won't see each other untill the semi finals. And the top 2 will meet each other first at semi finals.

Again, if the first phase of the cup pretty much determines who's the strongest, why would there have to be a knockout phase?

I don't think this would be hard to implement at all and it would kill some problems with inactivty.

Certainly, it will kill some problems with inactivity but in the process, it would create several more.
I personally wouldn't mind one big group and have everybody play everybody, but then that should be it. No knockout phase, just everybody plays everybody. Only reason for additional games would be a tie

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Temporary leauges instead of cups ?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:49 PM »
And as I  already told him, that will be a small league, not cup.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.