Forums
April 28, 2024, 10:44 PM

Author Topic: Mad TUS  (Read 75 times)

Offline HHC

Mad TUS
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I suppose Mad TUS is what we are trying to accomplish?  ???

Mission achieved then? lol.

It does list all the links in the left sidebar now, but I don't know if that's a perfect solution. The sidebar is humongous now  :o In a full screen only 1/3 of all the links are visible, you need to scroll down to see the rest.
It's also pretty weird all the 'my tus' options are visible whereas the general ones aren't. I have all the options to change which group I'm in, but I will need to browse through a few pages to find the current standings for TEL (the standings aren't divided into seperate sublinks).

I also don't think it was a good idea to have all these wormy pictures behind the menu's. As with the old design.. it makes things look more confusing than it really is.

The old design has a short list of links to the left and I think that's how it should be. You get all the links without having to scroll down and when you hover over the links you get access to all the seperate options you need.

I would stick to that.

Or, if you must use all these links.. add another sidebar to the right. But yeah, the short links bar is much easier to use.

I'm gonna try and draw a design, to give you an idea of what my ideal design would look like. Ill try and post it later today.. or tomorrow.

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Mad TUS
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 12:15 PM »
I'm just releasing the old TUS designs. (I'll try to put TEL sub menus and stuff there too) In a few hours I'll release Elegant design.

Old designs weren't solutions, just for different tastes. You guys are supposed to come up with solutions :P
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:54 PM »
I'm done with my concept, it's in the attachments.

No dropdown menu's, just a sidebar with all the basic options and more advanced options in flyout menu's.

That way everything fits on the first page and IMO it's far easier to navigate this way with all the old My TUS options (as put in the left sidebar) and General TUS (as put in the top bar) put into a single menu.
I also divided all the options into 3: community, competition and goodies. That too should clear things up.

Leagues could be put as one, or a link for each seperate league as I did. I wrote all the names in full so people won't be confused by all the abbreviations anymore.

Shoutbox goes below the main menu bar and below the shoutbox could be the TUS search window from the new Mad TUS design.

As said, all personal and general options have been combined in the various submenu's. The top menubar is completely gone. Perhaps the flags of the language-settings could be moved there now, instead of on top of the main page logo. I think that would look pretty cool.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:56 PM by HHC »

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:03 PM »
I think it's good :)

Let's wait for fada and perfect.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Perfect

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 07:11 PM »
It's a good save for that template, but I disagree with this being case closed. There are lots of little things that can be tweaked to please the nooby and advanced audience. Pending fada's opinion, I will continue working slowly on a new theme.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:34 AM »
Sorry for the long reply. I wanted to come up with some "template" but as said perf for me it is totally not enough. The way I see it is more than "just" a design as I said before.
Sorry for the off topic: Perf did you speak about the project to statik or steps ?

Offline HHC

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Well, it's just a start. You need to start somewhere.

It's a basic set up for a menu, a way to navigate around the site. Once you've established a basic navigation you can (then) move on to fixing seperate pages.

That's the way we should do it IMO. First find a basic design that allows newbies and pro's to find what they are looking for in no-time and in no-effort. And only when that is done we can start on improving individual sections. Like the leagues, or the rules or whatever needs to be 'cleaned up'.

If this is not the way you are working Perf, then what is? What do you mean by 'new theme'? A new template?

The design-model I made is merely that, something we might use as an example of how to fix the menu-issues. That is by throwing the top and side bar together and dividing all the options into 3 basic categories. IMO that's a good start to finetune the whole thing.

Offline Perfect

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:26 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, HHC. I tried to write a neutral post, but my words read like a prick. I like the menu consolidation that you did. It is indeed a good start. :)

IMO, I like the side navigation to be the advanced (and organized) menu like you drew up. I also like fada's idea of a simpler menu for new folks. So with the inclusion of the side navi you drew up, perhaps my idea of a simpler menu on the top can be somewhere down the lane of brainstorming.

I don't know what new players like now a days. Things are fragmented with wormkit, project x, and tus-league, and whatever. The fragmentation can be both good and bad, for their respective reasons. The paradox of choice (google it!) talks about how less choices reduces the stress in the prospective customer/client/user. So despite the corny look of the inclusion of a simpler menu, maybe a limited menu can help new members get rolling in the league; and branch off from there.

For the record (coming soon in a post), your revised menu should make the list, if fada is cool with it.

As for the template/theme, I suppose a new template; or a modified one. The animations have to be set at a minimum on the forum and some more worminess wouldn't hurt; there is an art to this.

I g2g for now, but lets talk more about this.  :P