Forums
May 02, 2024, 03:28 PM

Author Topic: Cow Rule Change in WXW  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Desetroyah

Cow Rule Change in WXW
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:39 PM »
In this game  https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/game-90747/msg94620/?topicseen#new  it became obvious to me that the current official  rules on skipping after a cow are simply not fair since the shape of the game can change totally and the punishment is not nearly enough for the player that broke the rules.

I say "official" since it is true, as MI said, that the rules of wxw state that a cow only means that next turn can have no attack from the "cower's" side, however I have never played against anyone who hasnt simply skipped the next turn utterly and completely, which is the fairest possible thing to do.

For those too bored to watch the game lemme just describe what happens:

MI has no time to touch last wall and attack so the zooka he throws hits my worm square bullseye. So, he:

-broke the rule and attacked a worm for max damage (ofc by mistake but the facts remain), then continued and
-piled carefully(!)
-played next worm normally+safely to get the crate (!) and
-piled again safely the minute he was uncovered (!).

I express my amazement even though its "what the rules say" since the things described above arent really a punishment of any kind since:

the turn he "skipped the attack" he made up for the cow he made in a turn where shouldnt've been ANY damage, so

I propose that the rule of wxw on cow is changed officially, so to make the game fairer, i.e.

The player breaking the rules, SKIPS COMPLETELY the turn after his cow

Sounds fair? Since TUS 2 is soon to come out I propose a vote on this and ask you to write your thoughts if you think I'm not making sense.

ta

Offline Hussar

Re: Cow Rule Change in WXW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:26 AM »

Sounds cool for me, am voting for yes!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:23 PM »
 i think its best to let the player take his cr8 in a situation like this, giving up a turn and a cr8 for a accidental zook? kinda too much of a punishment... what if he is giving up a powerfull weapon like a minigun etc... his penalty gave you an extra turn to do damage, you had 2 turns to his 1 at one point in the game to do 46 hp or more which is a gift to you imo

every situation is different, and maybe there should be a rule about piling when this happens, the extra time from not attacking makes it kinda easy to make a precise pile that can be a pain for the other player

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47 PM »
I agree that every situation is different but not breaking the rules is kinda what every scheme depends on and yes, not all cows are alike but like I said:

for example in this situation he was gonna have no attack since he was too late for last wall so his cow gave him the attack he skipped on the next turn, essentially giving him no punishment at all! On the contrary, he had his nice hide afterwards and so for the next turn so basically he had a chance to tidy up any wrong placement (lets remember that not having to touch every wall means that in his "skipped attack" turn he had 30s to simply go the crate, come back and think how and where to hide properly).

however, I'd rather have a harsher rule (I'll remind that 99% of the players I've played are applying the "skip completely" rule in tus games anyways rather than having situations where a cow can give advantages
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:49 PM by Desetroyah »

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:01 PM »
every situation is different
You can be a good diplomat ;D But... ANY COWARDS MUST DIE! THIS IS SPARTAAA!!! >:( :P

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:10 PM »
just dont kick me into the pit of doom.... plz :)

Offline AlTarf

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:38 AM »
learn not to cow
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:31 PM by AlTarf »

Offline JayX

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 12:50 AM »

To be honest I always assumed that is what the rule was. I agree with you 100% here Dese, and in the situation you described I would go as far as to say that is not unfair.. and if you will excuse my foul language it's total bullpoopie

If somebody collects crates and piles safely after cowing there is no punishment at all. I'm surprised to see something like that in the rules.

ANY COWARDS MUST DIE! THIS IS SPARTAAA!!! >:(

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:47 AM »
we think alike man hehe.

I ahve spoken with MI and he told me his reasons for having this (i.e. cow is not "punished", but rather the game is re-balanced, no "punishment" as such) and I respect them, however I still disagree and think that breaking the rules should be punishable.

Keep in mind that for someone inflicting 9 (nine) damage on me while trying to escape timer end I would not ask for a skip for example so I guess its a matter of good faith that both players are fair. but since thats rarely the case I have proposed for the change.

PS: my game with MI is only an example and MI had every right to play as he did since the rules where such, I was simply stunned to find the actual rules :P

Offline JayX

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Agreed, and if I ever cow like that I will skip on principle and would expect any player with an attitude for fair play to do the same.

I like MI's attitude with the "no punishment" idea but it's simply not fair. Cows happen, by accident mostly but that's where skill comes in, if you make a mistake that results in cheating and an unfair advantage you should be punished.

What about if we start to exploit this?

Just rope over to the oppenent, zook him right in the balls and then collect my crate and pile safely.

And repeat this process for the entire game?

Pretty much an assured win, easy TUS points.. I like it.

wXw TUS anyone? lets ruin the game!  :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:31 PM by JayX »

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 02:49 PM »
hehe, nah, games with deliberate cows and cows that debalance a whole game face being voided by the mods so that won't happen but the point is simply whether we want punishment or not. I said "yes" so thats what this is about.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:14 PM »
We're discussing the topic, sir :)

Keep in mind that if the rules for cowing are changed, they won't take effect on games that have already been played, though!
Cheers for pointing it out, though 8)

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 02:28 AM »
Hey D1 :)

Ofc I was referring to something that will have a "from now on..." at the beginning heh.

Besides, my feelings for the game(s) I brought as examples were made clear above, no misunderstandings :)