Forums
May 13, 2024, 02:10 PM

Author Topic: Darts - Introducing the official "Rebound Rule".  (Read 422 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Darts - Introducing the official "Rebound Rule".
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:28 PM »
*This rule affects anyone playing Darts in TuS Free League - Tested by the dS community / Confirmed by MonkeyIsland*

For those of you who don't want an explanation why this rule has been implemented, here it is:

Quote from: The Rebound Rule
If your worm rebounds off the target on another area of the map or into the water you add the lesser of the 2 scores.

For example:

If you rebound off the target between 3 and 5, your score is 3.
If you rebound off the target between 1 and 0, your score is 0.

0 = Water/Miss/0

*On any map where you must close the drill before touching the target board, the rebound rule only counts if you close the drill 1st, this can be checked by pressing "S" repetitively within a replay*

Example of a rebound on Darts "Classic":

Example of a rebound on Wings Of Beauty:

Example of a rebound on Cour Darts:

Here is the full post:

Introduction:

Darts has came a long way since M3ntal 1st introduced me to the scheme a few years back, where I instantly realized it's potential and became hooked.

What used to be a scheme that had a lot of luck in it and played mostly just for fun between playing other schemes has became a highly competitive and pretty much luck-free scheme:

• More and more players are starting to realize how competitive & fun Darts is/can be
  • The most popular TuS Free League scheme
  • Routine Cups
  • Routine Tournaments
  • dSC's (The new dSTC which will surely be a lot more fun, competitive & replace dSC)
  • dST's (We will be starting a new & improved season of dST's soon)
  • Always very successful in Worm Olympics

The idea for the rule was mentioned by myself over a year ago after noticing how well it worked in Darkones Roping Range challenge, but seeing as I stopped playing WA for a while it was forgotten.

Over the past month I raised the issue again, and for the last week or 2 some of the dS community have been testing the rule and now dS fully support it, we've confirmed implementing the rule officially with MonkeyIsland.

So here we are with the official "Rebound Rule" addition:

What is a rebound?

For example on the map "Darts "Classic"" by SiD it's quite common for the worm to hit the edge of 1, 2, 3 or 5 and bounce back into the water, this is called a rebound:

Why do we need a rule for rebounds?

We want Darts to be as luck-free, skillful and competitive as possible right?

Even with very high resolutions, such as the one I use 1920*1200, so you can see more of the map on your screen, it's impossible to avoid a rebound if it's going to happen.

Once you've released the drill, there isn't really anything to do but hope you don't hit the edge and rebound into the water...

And even if you close the drill early to change the course ever so slightly, it's impossible to know for sure 100% if you were going to rebound or not anyway, at the very best you can 50/50 guess, sometimes be right, and sometimes be wrong, this is like playing roulette with "red bet" and "black bet" - This is 50/50 LUCK.

Rebounds were cool when Darts was 1st discovered because it added to the realistic novelty that real-life Darts has when a dart hits a metal wire and bounces out, however this is a VERY rare occurrence in real life Darts all over world, especially more so at a professional level, on WA it happens quite a lot on maps where it is possible, ruining competitive games.

How did we fix this?

Simple, we took the same rule from my map "Rattle it !" and used it in the general rules for Darts:

Quote from: The Rebound Rule
If your worm rebounds off the target on another area of the map or into the water you add the lesser of the 2 scores.

For example:

If you rebound off the target between 3 and 5, your score is 3.
If you rebound off the target between 1 and 0, your score is 0.

0 = Water/Miss/0

*On any map where you must close the drill before touching the target board, the rebound rule only counts if you close the drill 1st, this can be checked by pressing "S" repetitively within a replay*

Example of a rebound on Darts "Classic":

Example of a rebound on Wings Of Beauty:

Example of a rebound on Cour Darts:

We re-worded it slightly to make better sense for overall Darts.

The benefits:

• Eliminates luck entirely on carefully designed Darts maps.
  • Improves players competitiveness by not having to worry about getting unlucky, makes games look more professional
  • With this rule, we will have even more possibilities in map design, if you like Super Mario Darts World, wait till you see what we can do with this!

The following is the full list of maps saved by using the "Rebound Rule":

Darts "Classic"
Darts CB 1
Wings of Beauty
Angry Darts
Angry Darts Remix
Dragon DartZ
Luigi's Darts
MajinDartZ
TheSimpsDarts
MajinDartZ II
Mario Darts
CourDarts
Luigi Remix
Sonic Darts

You can view the Darts scheme with the full description and rules here.