Forums
May 03, 2024, 12:03 AM

Poll

Do you want to have it such thing for seasons?

Hell yea!
18 (47.4%)
I don't know...
9 (23.7%)
o0 It's a total disaster!
11 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Prize on the leagues  (Read 4354 times)

Re: Prize on the leagues
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 08:59 PM »
$10 is pointless... theres no real added incentive, I doubt you'd make the community any more active with a prize like that.

Unless you find a way of coughing up some big bucks (which you wont, wa has too small a community to pursuade advertisers to sponsor leagues) then theres not much point in a bit of pocket money for winning a league.

Also unless the league system is flawless (which most are not) and professionally run by paid employees, prizes for winning a season will never work, there are just too many things that could go wrong.

Paying to participate in a tournament (via paypal) seems to me the only way of incorporating money into competative wa play. But this will never happen because nothing has been created for this to happen and most probably never will be!

Its just a pipe dream!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:02 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline Face

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 10:22 PM »
well $10 isnt really much of a prize... what u gonna do buy some kinder eggs with it?

I like the idea of having a really secure server for tournaments with buy ins.

Any player who wants to play pays $10 to enter, if 50 people play thats a $500
jackpot. Now that would make for an exciting tourney.

Dont think its possible for this sort of thing to work on wa tho.
Old thing, worked out long time ago.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Old thing, worked out long time ago.

elaborate
worm and learn

Offline Face

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Like, Madden hosted cash-prize elite tourney which was pretty big success, but then he disappeared (he gave prizes first of course :P ).

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 01:50 AM »
oh okey dokey facey boy but this isnt really anything like what I was talking about is it now?

u been on the crack tonight? I thought u gave that shit up back in june?
worm and learn

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 05:56 AM »
lol NAiL I had made exactly that kind of thing you painted.

A bet system connected to paypal and so. But the site didn't end well cause of couple of things .
You see maybe it is possible to make it 100$, But as WookA has mentioned :"If a prize is set, it must be for every season" which I can't put 100$ for each season (each month)
Making this community bigger is not a one-day plan. It needs time to grow little by little.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 01:40 PM »
ah thats cool Monkey, I would like to have seen this thing you made!

but dont waste your own money on us ungrateful wormers!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:42 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 04:44 PM »
nails right monkey, i dont think enough people care enough about the prize for you to be putting your money into it

Offline darKz

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Change free league to cash league? Entry fee $10, need to sign up manually each season.. Accepted only after the 10 bucks are on your account Monkey. Problem solved.
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16 PM »
I have coded it before like with paypal you could transfer the money in your "site account". and that was instant. But the problem is not that actually. Its deeper than that.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 06:55 AM »
Since nothing especial is with the poll, the prize is canceled.

But TUS is willing to put prizes on its leagues. This thread will stay open. If you haven't poll yet, You can do so.

The prize will go back again if we receive enough polls.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:35 PM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Unique

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Personally I don't think 10 euro would change anything since the time you have to put in this specially the people with 100+ games where they could earn in the meanwhile much more money. I mean, it's nice to win ' something ' but oldschool players have to raise there skill up again too which takes also a load of time. so specially for this prize they won't come back. I think I remember the paypal site I had an account on it, you started with like 0,05 cents the problems is, nobody would play mablak in TTRR (as example) cause you make no chance and this way only a few matches (who think are equal) will be played specially when you play for a higher amount of money. Tho the 10 euro can't do nothing wrong, but I think it's not needed that much since you should play with the attention to have fun and not only play for the money.

Offline iNviSible

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 10:47 PM »
$10 are better than nothing. its not much - no. but it is a good idea, a small improvement to TUS.

can someone tell me what all this xtc vs tus trashtalk is about?
the only thing that comes to my mind when thinking about this topic is:

"hey, great that we still have more than two leagues, despite of the fact that WA is so f*****g old! YEAH!"

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Its the first time I hear there are some trash talk about XTC and TUS.  I had seen people ruining TUS reputation in public, But not in that way ^^

Offline Devilage

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 08:32 PM »
I always wanted to win money coz of worms so f@#!ing hell yeah!

Smoking proud.