Forums
May 02, 2024, 07:00 PM

Poll

Do you want to have it such thing for seasons?

Hell yea!
18 (47.4%)
I don't know...
9 (23.7%)
o0 It's a total disaster!
11 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Prize on the leagues  (Read 4353 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Prize on the leagues
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:35 AM »
Actually this is not new idea.
People who know a bit of the history of TUS, would smile and say "Finally!"
(Yea yea I will write a history about TUS)

New year started, and TUS showed its potential though there were so many negative advertising about it.
I'd like to lift TUS up to the next level.

*10 dollars as a prize for the winner of season #2 classic league singles*

You don't need any new registration or any payment. As stated, It is only a prize to win, So nothing to lose.

I don't want to make any big deal out of it. So please do not shout on roofs about it.
On the other side, we will be collecting stats for this prize about :

• How many more complaints we receive?
  • How much (more) sucky attitudes, insulting ...
  • How much people will act crazy, So how many people we have to ban?
  • Can we handle it, So that does it worth it?
  • Will there be any games for the free league?

However,
If people can't hold themselves together and start to act crazy
OR
If the poll says "no" :
it will get canceled. (TUS is still a site made by people)

p.s I still hear people complain about the points system. I will be finalizing leagues in the next week. If it really bothers you, put your opinion in leagues ideas.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:38 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Face

Re: Prize on the leagues
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:17 AM »
I like the coincidence of xtc getting back with prizes and already getting haxed after 1 day and you suddenly post about league prizes. XDDDDDDDDD Anyway, it's obvious that there's gonna be billion new complaints, flamewars etc. But dont worry, worms without drama arent worms.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15 AM »
lol I see your point.

but anyway, This idea goes WAY back, more than a year. It has nothing to do with XTC.
I'll write a full history about TUS sometime ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:58 PM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Dario

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:38 PM »
Well, I don't really care about it since I obviously can't win it. But I do care about the well functioning of this league because so far MI has proved to be the most open minded and less arrogant league-owner I've ever seen in the worms community.
Before going into cash-prices I would really try a lot harder to fix some, or most, of the following bugs (by bugs I am talking about little things in the rating system that I personally don't find quite fair).

-Players can, somehow, help their overall stats by not playing the schemes they suck at. Me for example, if I wanted to rank I wouldn't play RR and then keep those 1000 starting points instead of losing the tiniest bit. I honestly have no idea how to fix that given the current rating system.

-Players can rank even if they have played games of 1 scheme as much as the addition of all the other schemes. (39 Intermediates ; 39 rr+roper+elite+hyst+...) Ya, ok, I am not a good example of a 1-scheme ranker, but someone a bit faster than me at roping could if he decided to avoid playing ropers against skilled players. If the item above this one could be solved, then the classic season ranking could be equal to the average of the other rankings. In that way it would be really easy for a better all-arounder to outrank a noob-bashing 1-2-scheme/s player.

-Map choice and noob bashing are other issues. You had  a nice idea for the first one and the latter might simply dissappear with the adjectives ranking after a few more seasons.

*Ty for the bo3 system, I don't know still if 2-1 = 2-0 = 1-0 (regarding the points), it'd be good if it wasn't of course, but anyway I will start asking my opponents to bo3 their pick as well, to be fair.
Momentarily not playing TUS league games.

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:51 PM »
I like the coincidence of xtc getting back with prizes and already getting haxed after 1 day and you suddenly post about league prizes.
Just to know: TUS site's first server was bought for another project, Gamers Guts. Originally, it could have included many ladders for many games and was prize based. It would have included WA as well, but people did not like the idea at all. In fact, MonkeyIsland got banned from Team17 forum for announcing his idea...

Offline Flori

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Hey dudes.
I think it's a good idea to give a money prize to the winner because :
 - old players will maybe come to play again (so more players at the league, a harder league, and more players in ag !!!)
 - People will now play more seriously. And maybe play in all the scheme when they will see it's impossible to finish 1st with only their own 2 or 3 schemes (like me lol)

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41 PM »
U are right Flori but only if U will add more "0" to 10 xD

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I do care about the well functioning of this league
Thanks a lot, It means a lot to me ^^

-Players can, somehow, help their overall stats by not playing the schemes they suck at. Me for example, if I wanted to rank I wouldn't play RR and then keep those 1000 starting points instead of losing the tiniest bit. I honestly have no idea how to fix that given the current rating system.

-Players can rank even if they have played games of 1 scheme as much as the addition of all the other schemes. (39 Intermediates ; 39 rr+roper+elite+hyst+...) Ya, ok, I am not a good example of a 1-scheme ranker, but someone a bit faster than me at roping could if he decided to avoid playing ropers against skilled players. If the item above this one could be solved, then the classic season ranking could be equal to the average of the other rankings. In that way it would be really easy for a better all-arounder to outrank a noob-bashing 1-2-scheme/s player.

I don't think I get it right.
People can't rank if they play only 1 scheme?  Why? You mean the process is slow or what?

@topic
The poll is not going anywhere good till now. I expected more excitement...
It is either it hasn't been advertised well or people simply do not care about such thing.

OR most of WN community have accepted that they can't win it, So why bother? ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:59 PM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Veg

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:22 PM »
I like the coincidence of xtc getting back with prizes and already getting haxed after 1 day and you suddenly post about league prizes. XDDDDDDDDD Anyway, it's obvious that there's gonna be billion new complaints, flamewars etc. But dont worry, worms without drama arent worms.

Im sorry, what? Getting "haxed after 1 day". Intersting. Care to backup that statement?

Offline Face

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 04:46 PM »

Im sorry, what? Getting "haxed after 1 day". Intersting. Care to backup that statement?
Dunno, first day it was all like "yeah we re back", 2nd day it was like "we re cutting out the bullshit". xD

Offline Rioter

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I dunno if this has been mentioned, how is this $10 being raised?

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 06:47 PM »
MI

its a nice idea but dario is right, all the flaws and loopholes in the point system and the rules for playoffs and everything need to be developed and agreed on before a cash prize is used.

Once those things are worked out and everyone can agree on a fair system then adding prizes would bring back alot of old wormers maybe and also make games more serious, it could really help wormnet.

But on the other hand is may also cause people to cheat again like what happened in previous leagues with silkworm, xspeed or even hack the website to destory your work or let themselves win. Id maybe consider another prize, Like a printed mug or t-shirt. This may not cause possible cheats and bad sports to emerge as dramatically as a cash prize!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21 PM »
well $10 isnt really much of a prize... what u gonna do buy some kinder eggs with it?

I like the idea of having a really secure server for tournaments with buy ins.

Any player who wants to play pays $10 to enter, if 50 people play thats a $500
jackpot. Now that would make for an exciting tourney.

Dont think its possible for this sort of thing to work on wa tho.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:23 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline Veg

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:39 PM »

Dunno, first day it was all like "yeah we re back", 2nd day it was like "we re cutting out the bullshit". xD

No, originally is was for 2nd January but i found a bug and posted a message saying that its delayed by 2 days. Get your facts straight, fool.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:28 PM »
NAiL the main idea was that you mentioned. It is actually bet and gambling which is not an easy thing to handle. I had made such site before and people thought it is a scam.

10$ is not big a deal. But it is good as a start.
But look at this thread.

We have over 320 members. Lets say 120 of them are inactive.  We have 200 members on this site. and only 17 votes on this thing. (And one is me) Only 5 people agreed on it.

What does it tell you?
There's an awful way of thinking on most of WN community :
"I will lose"
So many player have zero self-esteem. Most of the people that claims "We only play for fun, no matter we win or lose". They are just some guys that have deeply believed they will always lose, so why risk their mind peace by getting serious?

I think people do not care about the prize. Cause they see themselves far from it.
If the poll continues going this way I'll have to cancel it. I don't wanna put money only for like 10 players all the time.

@Dario, The things i said has nothing to do with your line about "It's obvious I can't win"
Actually I think you have a big sel-esteem in Intermediate.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:30 PM by MonkeyIsland »