Forums
May 06, 2024, 12:02 PM

Author Topic: Season 32 of TRL - You have reached legit playoff requirements!  (Read 664 times)

Offline TheKomodo

With 4 days remaining the first season of Multi-TRL, 4 players have successfully met the requirements to play in the Playoffs:

It would be nice to have 8 players.

What is your general opinion if 4 others reach the games played requirement of 30, even with a lower win % we could let them into Playoffs as well?

Also, nice announcement for the next Season of TRL during the podcast this Sunday! Stay tuned!

Offline TheWalrus

Re: Season 32 of TRL - You have reached legit playoff requirements!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 06:32 AM »
With 4 days remaining the first season of Multi-TRL, 4 players have successfully met the requirements to play in the Playoffs:

It would be nice to have 8 players.

What is your general opinion if 4 others reach the games played requirement of 30, even with a lower win % we could let them into Playoffs as well?

Also, nice announcement for the next Season of TRL during the podcast this Sunday! Stay tuned!
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, and I’ll continue saying it until someone listens:  winning percentage has been the silliest pre qualification for playoffs.  It rewards players that handpick their easier opponents, or only play certain schemes, and handicaps players that play a large share of their games against great players (oldsock, specifically).  This is an ELO based league, why are we still doing win% when a weighted scoring system exists to determine value?  It has never made an ounce of sense.  Games played I can understand, but win% is lol worthy, we should be rewarding activity.

Additionally, a player such as jago, who is very skilled, basically plays only during later NA hours, where he can basically only play me, camper, and tita; 3 players already qualified for playoffs.  Should he be punished because all of his games played are against good players?  I think not. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 07:16 AM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 09:54 AM »
This new league is a bit of an overkill atm. Even with win% removed, there's no 8 people that played 30+ games.

Alround and Free aren't any better, but at least players have variety of schemes to choose from.

If money didn't help, hardly anything will.

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 10:21 AM »
Furthermore, it would be nice to have playoffs among 0% winning ratio players in order to award the loser of losers!

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 07:33 PM »
This new league is a bit of an overkill atm. Even with win% removed, there's no 8 people that played 30+ games.

Alround and Free aren't any better, but at least players have variety of schemes to choose from.

If money didn't help, hardly anything will.

I'm not sure what issue you have exactly :D

For me personally TRL turned out even better than expected, and next Season is setup to be even better! All we needed was 4 players to reach playoffs, even by ONLY games played, and we smashed that, 4 legit players making the playoffs by both existing requirements, there will probably be 8 if we get rid of the win % requirement.

If more than 8 players make PO then it's the 8 with the highest win % - Simples!

ANNOUNCEMENT:

They've asked not to reveal their name but someone from WA got in contact, and is actually going to sponsor the TRL League stuff I'm doing via their business, so long as I run a couple adverts for their business during TRL streams, they are adding another £100 to the prize pool for the next season. (Might increase over time).

So next Season, Season 33, there will be a £200 prize pool split between the top 3 players.

I always said I'd never sellout for adverts, but I'm quite happy to do it when I am not receiving the profits and the profits go to the players and the community!

You know, it doesn't usually bring me any satisfaction when people say "You can't do that" or "It won't work" and then it does happen and/or it does work... But this time it genuinely feels satisfying because it's not for myself!

It's a great way to stick the middle finger up and yell "LOOK HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING BWAHAHAHAHA!".

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 07:48 PM »
Two inactive league players shitting on how inactive/bad the league is, what else is new :)

You two are headed dangerously into skunk3 territory

Offline Sensei

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 08:52 AM »
I'm inactive due to work. This league in particular isn't my cup of tea anyway, due to schemes I'm either not playing or not fond of Komito's "K" variants.
Don't really get your comment about us saying how bad (??) the league is!? Neither me nor Runaway said that. I just stated third league is a bit of an overkill in a system with 2 inactive leagues. Lowering threshold of win% to enter playoffs won't really make any of the league better or more competitive. It seems like a surrender in my eyes. Which is a pity. Idea seems okay, money involved is a good addition, although - players are either gone or not really see it as something groundbreaking enough to get online and compete. Comparing myself with Skunk3 on a "leagues activity matter" just seems silly, Walrus. Don't really get why you said that.

I'm not sure what issue you have exactly :D

Only issue here is that you took my comment personal..again.

If current TRL league activity exceeded your expectations, I guess that's great. Won't comment it anymore.  Gl in future seasons.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 08:55 AM by Sensei »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 03:46 PM »
Only issue here is that you took my comment personal..again.

Why do you think everybody takes it personally all the time lol? Any time ANY ONE questions you - IT'S PERSONAL!  :D

I saw you generally moaning about something as usual and was curious why, which is why I specifically said "I'm not sure what issue you have exactly". So if I am not even sure what your problem is, why would you think it's personal?

You did however answer the question thanks.

I just stated third league is a bit of an overkill in a system with 2 inactive leagues. Lowering threshold of win% to enter playoffs won't really make any of the league better or more competitive. It seems like a surrender in my eyes. Which is a pity. Idea seems okay, money involved is a good addition, although - players are either gone or not really see it as something groundbreaking enough to get online and compete.

For starters, there are 5 inactive Leagues on TUS, however the 2 "main leagues" are active, people are literally playing them...

TNL - HAL - Classic - TEL - TTL - These are currently inactive, the rest are all active.

Also, lowering the threshold DOES make the league better, at least in the subjective sense better because it achieves a goal better than not lowering the threshold.

The point is, we shouldn't be using win % as a restriction, but rather as a method of judgement.

So let's say 13 people play 30 games, the 8 who have the most points and best win % will make the PO.

It's actully fascinating you see it as "a surrender" when it's the complete opposite, this is HUGELY successful, it's not a failure in the slightest lol.

If current TRL league activity exceeded your expectations, I guess that's great. Won't comment it anymore.  Gl in future seasons.

Thanks!

2nd glance at this though...

That's literally the MAIN reason why this 3 scheme TRL League is even happening right now. The "main"  leagues have too much variety, there are literally too many schemes for ANYONE to master:

Big Rope Race
TTRR
Tower Race
Shopper
WxW
Roper
Intermediate
Aerial
Elite
Hysteria
Team17
BnG

Sure, it's a competitive League, but it feels SUPER casual because of how people pick what they play, the same handful of players in the playoffs, and the same handful of players who usually win.

Anyway... That's 12 schemes... It takes years to be a top player at any individual scheme... The main league was made for players who have been playing for 10+ years, it's overwhelming to new players and casual players, even many serious players because they just don't have enough time to practise all of those schemes!

That's not competitive or fun at all for a lot of people... Beating people in schemes you are superior at when they have next to no experience, losing at schemes you don't even enjoy playing lol... How is that competitive or fun?

The whole point of TRL using 3 different types of schemes, is to give people a consistent and reliable competitive environment that they can focus on each season, and only have to practise 3 schemes per season just like the good old days!

Each season it's always 1 artillery scheme, 1 physical scheme and 1 strategic scheme, you only need to be great at 2 out of 3 of those to have a chance of winning playoffs.

Most people are good at or can at the very least enjoy playing 2 out of 3 types of schemes... As opposed to 12 schemes in allround, or 21 schemes in TFL, which is what most people actually consider to be genuine overkill being "too many schemes" lol.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 07:35 PM »
I saw you generally moaning about something as usual and was curious why, which is why I specifically said "I'm not sure what issue you have exactly". So if I am not even sure what your problem is, why would you think it's personal?

English is not my native language. From what I've learned, having an issue would be the same as having a problem. So I didn't know why you'd think i'm having a problem because of (in)activity of your league.

If writing an opinion on a public forum is seen as 'moaning' (as you politely described), that's also okay.
Whatever you say, as usual. :)

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 07:47 PM »
If writing an opinion on a public forum is seen as 'moaning' (as you politely described), that's also okay.

Actually, yes, writing an opinion that is negative showing you don't like something is actually a definition of moaning. When you make a sort of subtle complaint about something you're not a fan of.

For those who may be interested, moaning is also a sound people make and it can be either a good moan, a bad moan, a lazy moan, etc...

If I were to guess, the reason why we call making negative opinions moaning as well is because just like an actual moan, you're making an unpleasant sound to others with your voice.

We all do it from time to time lol.

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 08:14 PM »
Two inactive league players shitting on how inactive/bad the league is, what else is new :)

You two are headed dangerously into skunk3 territory

Wait, did wally mean I am the second "inactive player shitting on how bla bla bla "?

Offline Triad

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2024, 11:24 PM »
For those who may be interested, moaning is also a sound people make and it can be either a good moan, a bad moan, a lazy moan, etc...
If we get Darts in the next TRL, then I'll be moaning alright ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Korydex

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 07:32 AM »

2nd glance at this though...

That's literally the MAIN reason why this 3 scheme TRL League is even happening right now. The "main"  leagues have too much variety, there are literally too many schemes for ANYONE to master:

Big Rope Race
TTRR
Tower Race
Shopper
WxW
Roper
Intermediate
Aerial
Elite
Hysteria
Team17
BnG

Sure, it's a competitive League, but it feels SUPER casual because of how people pick what they play, the same handful of players in the playoffs, and the same handful of players who usually win.

Anyway... That's 12 schemes... It takes years to be a top player at any individual scheme... The main league was made for players who have been playing for 10+ years, it's overwhelming to new players and casual players, even many serious players because they just don't have enough time to practise all of those schemes!

That's not competitive or fun at all for a lot of people... Beating people in schemes you are superior at when they have next to no experience, losing at schemes you don't even enjoy playing lol... How is that competitive or fun?

The whole point of TRL using 3 different types of schemes, is to give people a consistent and reliable competitive environment that they can focus on each season, and only have to practise 3 schemes per season just like the good old days!

Each season it's always 1 artillery scheme, 1 physical scheme and 1 strategic scheme, you only need to be great at 2 out of 3 of those to have a chance of winning playoffs.

Most people are good at or can at the very least enjoy playing 2 out of 3 types of schemes... As opposed to 12 schemes in allround, or 21 schemes in TFL, which is what most people actually consider to be genuine overkill being "too many schemes" lol.
Well so far the stats are:
Grenade Wars - 115 games - 51 %
Elite - 63 games - 28 %
Big RR - 46 games - 20 %
Honestly it could as well be traditional TRL season with only GW scheme. I'm kinda concerned how the playoffs turn out with this 3 schemes system, because a lot of people play only one scheme.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 01:41 PM »
Nah that's fine Kory. GW is a very popular scheme, and Walrus lives by it lol. It was actually expected, the other 2 are doing well enough

As long as all 3 are being played, its nice to see even 1 scheme receive such love 😊.

That's why in the Playoffs you must play all 3 games, even if you already won, that's the deal 👌