Forums
May 15, 2024, 06:21 PM

Author Topic: Updating leagues  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Chicken23

Re: Updating leagues
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 08:43 PM »
cough * overall * cough

Offline Free

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Whole TUS rating system should be more based on Wormers ACTUAL needs instead having an too fancy rating system.

Offline Ray

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Free, what exactly do you mean? So, what would you advice in practise?

By the way, this is an endless discussion, impossible to find the happy medium. :) But let's keep trying. :P

Offline darKz

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Why do you need to find a medium? It's a fact that it makes more sense to display the standings by overall rating. As it is right now I gotta search all the pages of the standings if I wanna see who's in playoffs. :P And in general it's not right to show the standings in an order inappropriate to the skill of the players..
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Random00

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 10:49 PM »
The main question is: who should be in Playoffs?
If we all have the same answer to this, then we can find a solution how to get these people into the playoffs with a fair system.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 01:55 AM »
Its only Ray who argues for seasonal points display of standings.

Once the standings are displayed with overall first to cause less confusion and the playoffs having 16 spots. 10 for overall, 6 for seasonal i think who makes playoffs will be fair.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 04:43 AM »
btw what do you think about 10 overall with 6 seasonal places? I mean how do you match them together?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10 AM »
FB had 12 and 4 handicaps (basically seasonal) Im not sure how they grouped them. Darkone may remember. He was in charge of the playoffs..

Offline Ray

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Who told you that? ???

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Who told you that? ???

no one else backs you up!

and then me, dark, random00 and free all seem to agree hehe

Offline Rok

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Whole TUS rating system should be more based on Wormers ACTUAL needs instead having an too fancy rating system.

Free, enlighten us, what are the ACTUAL needs of an average wormer? We've heard a lot complaints about how weird the rating system is, but I don't remember one single post in which someone would actually propose something better. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. We've only been discussing playoffs requirements so far, which is fine, but no one tried to come up with a rating system. The current system is in no way fancy, as you call it.

It's a simple system based on so called "ELO rating system". (Yes, I repeat this for zillionth time). There's a number of sites on the net explaining it (including wikipedia), yet I wonder how many people actually read about it and tried to understand its 'hows' and 'whys' before they start to complain. FB's system, which is so praised by some, worked the same way as ours, with slight difference in numbers.

So what are the needs of wormers? 2 points for win, -1 for loss? Less points for loss, like it already was in TUS? Ideas, people! Mind you that we already had a discussion when this league was just starting and ratings were prefered over points back then.

I'm not picking up on you Free, as it may look like, I just took your post as an example  :)
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline Free

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Yeah, I agree it's hard to find good medium for everyone, but here's my take.

I don't like ELO-system at all, I think simple 2 pts for win, -1 for loss would be better for worming community. I see it would boost overall and seasonal activity (average wormers wanna compete also with their 1-2 strong schemes) and most importantly, it makes it more fun. Every season would be fresh start with the new hype going on amongst players.

You can pick the scheme you actually WANT TO play, that's the main idea here, for a wormer to have fun while competing. In TUS singles it's not that big of a problem because you can find variety in Singles often and quite fast, but in clanners it gets annoying sometimes. You're chilling with your clanm8 and you guys would like to play Elite against some clan but after you finally find a clan, you notice that you get too low points for it, you're forced to pick Hysteria/WxW instead, which weren't the schemes you actually WANTED TO PLAY. :)

ELO-system forces you to become all-round if you want to be successfull, but so would this system also. People pick their strongest scheme so you're forced to become good at them also if you want to make + points.

Were a small community and we just want to have fun while having a competition between us, why restrict the amount of fun we can have when we just want to play the scheme(s) we'd like. There would be still tactical picks going on and all that jizz.

Offline Rok

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53 AM »
What you wrote is all fine, but the problem is that many people dislike the 'scheme-bashing' on the other hand. About the activity:

season 7:   1102 singles, 357 clanners
 season 8:   2155, 369
 season 9:   2750, 480
 season 10:   2918, 644
 season 11:   2924, 833
 season 12:   3192, 787
 this season's estimates: ~4300 singles, ~880 clanners!

I doubt that points system could significantly improve this trend :) It surely enables more noob bashing and also you need to limit the amount of games/season otherwise the activity plays too big role in standings.

While I think points system is completely inapropriate for singles league, it could actually do good for clan league, I guess. Go ahead and try convince people and of course the almighty boss of all this - MI. :)
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 10:55 AM »
Free, I've only been playing TuS for like 20 days now, and already I am 27th, some players I play are good, some are not so good, I try to play everyone I can, I pick BnG 99.5% of matches because I enjoy it, notice my last 40+ games (BnG) i've been receiving 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 points a game, and I am still winning enough of other person's pick, to get good points, and what is even cooler, against the players I know I can beat in other schemes, I could easily have been picking those, and by now I would have at least another 400-600 points, so yeah I agree, pick what you enjoy, not what you can get points with, cuz after all, what are points worth to you if you haven't enjoyed getting them?

Offline Free

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Yeah, limiting games / season would actually hurt activity between some players, but I think it would boost all-round activity (more players). I don't mind singles that much anyways, since there's enough variation going on between players. My main point has been that most of the wormers just want to have fun while competing, so why restrict their picks.

I'd definately like to see things change in Clanners though, as they are pretty rare candy. :)