Forums
May 01, 2024, 06:41 AM

Author Topic: the best program for map making  (Read 2233 times)

the best program for map making
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:33 AM »
i know 90% of mapmakers work in photoshop, including me. some of photoshop maps are really cool but still i think photoshop isnt optimized for the maps at all.
there is another adobe program called adobe illustrator. Anyone worked on it? Its pretty hard but making maps in it is just awesome and the result is great too

it takes few mins to draw shit like that

Offline Husk

Re: the best program for map making
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:54 AM »
yeah I have tried illustrator and it's fun

but I'd have to say the best overall results from any program for me is microsoft paint, because its default settings go hand in hand with worms maps... what I mean by this? well as a beginner for photoshop, I'd often find myself creating alot of fake black in places I dont' want it and also the hassling with layers if u have no idea what you are doing, sometimes need to merge layers or some shit just to be able to move a text u have wrote in the map. but with microsoft paint u don't accidently fake black anything and you only have 1 layer, you always know everything is editable/movable.

Offline Hurz

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:36 PM »
totally know whatya mean husky, its just a bunch of stuff to remember all the time working with ps. but it has way more opportunities than paint. so i think putting some time to learn ps is worth it, despite yo wanna stay simple with the maps. for simple maps paint is perfect.
i tried illustrator once, as you say impo its pretty hard :D but if its worth it i may give it a try and maybe it pushes me back to mapmaking coz atm im just too lazy for the effort :o well not only lazy but rare time.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:39 PM »
totally know whatya mean husky, its just a bunch of stuff to remember all the time working with ps. but it has way more opportunities than paint. so i think putting some time to learn ps is worth it, despite yo wanna stay simple with the maps. for simple maps paint is perfect.
i tried illustrator once, as you say impo its pretty hard :D but if its worth it i may give it a try and maybe it pushes me back to mapmaking coz atm im just too lazy for the effort :o well not only lazy but rare time.
ill try to show what illustrator is capable of
(by the way my signature i made in illustrator+ps+ms paint.. lol that oxygen text is paint stuff yea)

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:06 PM »
ok, i was lazy to make a new map, so i just took the most popular map in wmdb which was jacko shopper
http://wmdb.org/4020
traced it into vector and put funcy effect, took me around 30 second but take a look at it now
http://wmdb.org/26145
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:25 AM by Impossible »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:35 PM »
it makes no sense now

are you saying illustrator turns maps into modern art?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 03:03 PM »
it makes no sense now

are you saying illustrator turns maps into modern art?
trying to f@#! up another topic? i just showing what can be done in illustrator, or you expected me to draw a new map for that purpose?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I'm genuinely interested, what exactly did you accomplish doing whatever it is  you did to the map other than turning a clear "city" into an abstract "something"?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:58 AM »
I like abstract something
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30 AM »
those fools from wmdb who make the reviews didnt even look at my map, they just thought i uploaded jacko map and put not-so-good graphics, unimaginative and other shit on it to get 0 exp lmao.. had to make another version because of that, hope this time they will notice the difference http://wmdb.org/26145

Offline Husk

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I havn't took wmdb reviews seriously for half a decade =)

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:55 PM »
i always take that shit serious, and so should they

i wonder how they will rate it this time

edit: okay they rated it as... "private".. uhm what the hell, i dont want it to be private, i made it for players lol
jeez whats wrong with reviewers, they were much better few years ago, now i cant switch it back to public.. have to reupload that shit for the 3rd time now xD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:50 PM by Impossible »

Offline Hurz

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 10:21 PM »
guessable reason: remixed too often :D

Offline francot514

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33 AM »
I like the architect for map making, do you think is enough???

Offline Husk

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:43 AM »
well, architect is awesome program that has resulted in many nice maps, I have made an architect map which can be found here: http://www.wmdb.org/2084

map made 9 years ago xD