Forums
May 30, 2024, 03:50 AM

Author Topic: Any astronomy lovers around?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline barman

Any astronomy lovers around?
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:37 PM »
The planets Jupiter and Venus are now positioned close to each other on the celestial sphere. You can see them very easily from virtually any point of the globe if you have a cloudless sky and look in the western direction shortly after sunset. They appear as two very bright points of light (Venus is the brighter one) and you can actually note the change of their apparent positions if you observe them for several consecutive nights. Try it!

Here's how they looked from my backyard 2 days ago, quite a beautiful sight isn't it :)
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Re: Any astronomy lovers around?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Yup, I agree. Yesterday was a possibility of seeing an aurora borealis so we gathered and drove to a darkest and highest point in the area. Didn't see the aurora borealis but the sky was crystal clear and the stars where shining like crazy diamonds (PF fans! ;) ). We saw these planets and all the stars pretty much while lying down on the grass. That was quite amazing experinece I must say!

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Can this be related to the fact that I had passed a very bad night, with a lot of difficulty to get asleep ?
I mean do the astres influence on the human behaviours ?
I've heard full moon does it !

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19 PM »
You're just turning into a werewolf. :)

Offline barman

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Can this be related to the fact that I had passed a very bad night, with a lot of difficulty to get asleep ?
I mean do the astres influence on the human behaviours ?
I've heard full moon does it !
If you live in a dark area and are not used to artificial light during the night, a full moon can be really distracting and stressful if it's shining right into your room. But if you live in an urban area, there's not much of a difference in the ambient sky brightness produced by a full moon and city lights.
Planets don't really influence us at all, neither physically nor psychologically.

Yup, I agree. Yesterday was a possibility of seeing an aurora borealis so we gathered and drove to a darkest and highest point in the area. Didn't see the aurora borealis but the sky was crystal clear and the stars where shining like crazy diamonds (PF fans! ;) ). We saw these planets and all the stars pretty much while lying down on the grass. That was quite amazing experinece I must say!
That's cool to hear, I'll probably (not 100% sure yet) be visiting your region in the second half of August for a star party in Jeziorowskie, we could possibly hang out for some star hunting and rope racing 8)
My photography work

barman's fails are best

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48 PM »
hehe i was half joking; but full moon has an influence on life on earth for sure! and its not only about light :)

Offline Guaton

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57 AM »
omg , so these two points ive been seeing are jupiter and venus? wow nice , i have been watching them for some days , cos i knew that had to be something weird  XD i like to see at the stars in night when im high , and i didnt remember those 2 points before , and about change of position they changed a little until today , they are closer if im right

wow this rly impressed me , i like this weird stuff from space , never thought they would be jupiter and venus

tx bar :D!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:58 AM by Guaton »

Offline Husk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21 AM »

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:13 PM »
but full moon has an influence on life on earth for sure! and its not only about light :)

It's true, the closest example known by me are the tides which both the Moon and the Sun affect on its appearance. The strongest tides are at the full moon.

That's cool to hear, I'll probably (not 100% sure yet) be visiting your region in the second half of August for a star party in Jeziorowskie, we could possibly hang out for some star hunting and rope racing 8)

Yay, I totally would go for it. It's indeed really near my city. :) I'm looking forward for it!

Offline harpy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 02:15 PM »
ha who distinguish between astronomy and astrology ha. I disagree that they are complementary aspects of astrology reach people like introverted orientation (real angelic aspects are few and depending on the degree of solar and other factors), some these energies come as a gift (moral strength) - physical energies , others need treatment and awareness. I watch the coincides Jupiter and Venus  cal will be conjunct my birthday Venus conjunct Rahu on MC.
for years I seeker elemental precious stones, or they find me. at last there is movement among people to seek natural stones. I do not like blatant speculation but will have to lev(or eur)to the family
cheers

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49 PM »
ha who distinguish between astronomy and astrology ha.

Astronomers :) And other people who know what astronomy is about, of course

Offline harpy

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18 PM »
aha :) I sometimes sorry these moments. Sigourney am that astronomy is very cool  8)

Offline Rok

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Today the two planets are almost exactly vertical to each other, Jupiter being below, correct? I knew the Evening Star is in fact Venus, but had no idea Jupiter can be spotted so easily.
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline barman

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Today the two planets are almost exactly vertical to each other, Jupiter being below, correct?
Yes, only from intermediate northern latitudes though. If you were to travel south (or north), they would appear more and more tilted with respect to the horizon.

I knew the Evening Star is in fact Venus, but had no idea Jupiter can be spotted so easily.
Planets are actually among the brightest objects in the sky. You can also see Mars in the evening, search for the bright orange point of light in the southeast after sunset. It's actually the third brightest object after Jupiter and Venus.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:22 PM by barman »
My photography work

barman's fails are best

Offline Husk

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:22 PM »