Forums
April 29, 2024, 11:53 AM

Author Topic: decisions  (Read 2628 times)

Offline CJ

decisions
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:30 AM »
right ive got a nice bit of money to blow on friday, do i get a pc upgrade or an xbox 360? its all stemmed from playing cod mw2 online and im now hooked, so which ever i choose will be for this game, what should i do, and if its a pc upgrade what things would i need? apart from a gfx card, my pc rig is on my xfire profile where my username is chrisnj....

opinions please
My hometown rugby team Warrington Wolves won the 2009 Carnegie Challenge Cup At Wembley and successfully defended the trophy by beating Leeds Rhinos 30-6 at Wembley on 28/08/10 and got the trophy back beating Leeds Rhinos 35-18 on 25/08/12... 3rd time in 4 years

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: decisions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:27 AM »
Memory: 192MB RAM?

How old is your pc?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:02 AM »
If it is for that game only, get a 360 or PS3 - most people play this game with those consoles online, I am sure PS3 mostly, so it will be more competitive online playing with the console.

Offline CJ

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Memory: 192MB RAM?

How old is your pc?

my memorys 256 its just using 64mb cos i dont have a gfx crd in atm, my pc isnt too old but isnt new either, ive roughly got around £100 to waste, which has been reduced from £150 as i got guilt tripped off the babys mum :( so i could afford a 360 but not a ps3, ive borrowed my mates ps3 today and am playing the original modern warfare on that, and if im honest i think i prefer number two, and it seems alot easier on the 360, but if i was to have it on pc i could use my 360 pad on it...

Ray, your on my xfire, what upgrades do u think i'll need? a friend says just memory and a gfx card, as everything else is fine, i wouldnt know, as if changed pc from the one i had when u gave me the link to download wa 
My hometown rugby team Warrington Wolves won the 2009 Carnegie Challenge Cup At Wembley and successfully defended the trophy by beating Leeds Rhinos 30-6 at Wembley on 28/08/10 and got the trophy back beating Leeds Rhinos 35-18 on 25/08/12... 3rd time in 4 years

Offline CJ

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:30 PM »
my mistake it was monkeyisland that replied not ray, sorry :p

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:27 PM »
I don't know about upgrade prices there and I don't know what model of "Asus" you have.
But by judging 80GB hard drive and 192/256 mb ram, your pc counts as old one and upgrading it means an upgrade for MB/CPU/RAM/Graphic, which you can't go much with £100 so I say go for the console.

But that's judging by the look of your hardware, we could dive into details if you want.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline CJ

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:57 PM »
I don't know about upgrade prices there and I don't know what model of "Asus" you have.
But by judging 80GB hard drive and 192/256 mb ram, your pc counts as old one and upgrading it means an upgrade for MB/CPU/RAM/Graphic, which you can't go much with £100 so I say go for the console.

But that's judging by the look of your hardware, we could dive into details if you want.

yeah mate, please do, my 80gb is more than enough for me, dont know why it says its Asus when its like a home built pc, my processors enough i think, along with my hd, but obviously i aint got a gfx card in at the minute and need to buy a pci express one, but i really dont have a clue when it comes to the technical side of pcs lol

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:36 PM »
Your motherboard probably doesn't have pci-express slot on it. So when getting a new graphic card, you gotta change your motherboard too.

so far: you gotta change your MB/Ram/Graphic then.
You should figure out your exact MB model, to find out how much a dealer will take that and give you a better MB.

Offline CJ

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Your motherboard probably doesn't have pci-express slot on it. So when getting a new graphic card, you gotta change your motherboard too.

so far: you gotta change your MB/Ram/Graphic then.
You should figure out your exact MB model, to find out how much a dealer will take that and give you a better MB.

well im lucky in that respect, a friend i know runs his own computer parts business and has offered me 1gb of ram and a geforce something gfx card for £50, but my motherboard, i wouldnt know which one i have and/or which one i'd need...

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Ask him about the exact geforce model. You gotta open up your pc and read on your motherboard surface its model. Or bring the PC to your friend's and have him check that. If you're lucky maybe you don't to change the motherboard. But what is CoD requirements?

Offline CJ

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:24 PM »
 Hard Drive Requirements: 16 GB free hard drive space
 • Operating System: Windows Vista/XP (but Win 7 will be compatible)
 • CPU: AMD 64 3200+ or Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz or better
 • RAM: 512 MB RAM (XP) / 1 GB RAM (VISTA) / (Assume 1 GB RAM for Win 7)
 • Video Card: Shader 3.0 or better 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6600GT / ATI Radeon 1600XT or better

and thats the gfx card that im getting, the 6600gt

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Seems you need to change CPU too. :/

Offline CJ

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 12:08 AM »
harsh on me this, tis gonna cost me a fortune :(

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 03:14 AM »
If you care about upgrading your pc, can't you wait a little and increase your budget? (Or you're gonna spend this one too? ;))

Offline QuiK

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:07 AM »
OK CJ to be TOTALLY honest.  The only thing you can run with a computer like that is Worms Armageddon.  The requirements for mw2 you wrote down are minimum requirements.  And usually minimum requirements refer to offline play only.  A computer like that is at MINIMUM 9 years old.  I don't recommend f@#!ing with it.  If you really want to play mw2 then just buy xbox360. 

But speaking of bad ass war games... Battlefield Bad Company 2 blows CODMW2 out of the water.  Watch some game play trailers of both and then compare.  You'll see.