Forums
May 02, 2024, 12:41 PM

Author Topic: quarterlife crisis ne?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline HHC

quarterlife crisis ne?
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Yeah.. it's the new thing nowadays. No longer old men with midlife crises, but young folks in their 20s asking themselves wut the hell must come of their lives.  ???

All the opportunities one could wish for. An education of your own choice, a career of your choice, a partner of your choice.. a lifestyle of your choice. The sky is the limit!

You just have to make a choice, it's all there!

Pick the right one and you'll be happy, rich, succesful ánd liked for the rest of your days!

But where do you start? What is the right choice? Is there one? What if I like them all... or what if none of them seems applicable to my own preferences, or skills? With every choice I make I discard all the other options and constrain my life to just 'that'. And what if 'that' proves disappointing or a failure... in short, the wrong path? Will all these years I spent on it be a waste?

I want it all, I want everything. I want to have a good career, a happy marriage, kids with straight A's, friends, recognition, success, money, and that thing called HAPPINESS.

And then naturally, real life kicks you in the face. And while you wheep about all the opportunities you had and how you wasted them and how your life is nothing but a story of FAIL you go online and find all your interesting friends doing all those interesting things on Facebook and you cannot help but wonder how you got left behind and how you can possibly make up for all the time lost and still chase those dreams that have been mapped out for you.

:o

In short, that's the quarterlife crisis  ???

Thoughts, opinions?

I'm 30 myself, so I guess I'm a little further in life and can safely say that I've accomplished nothing. So there's no more fear of that happening. :D
But yeah, I'm ok with that. Despite not reaching any of the goals that would make a dude succesful in life, I am pretty happy with where I am and certainly wouldn't look back on the last 10 years as a waste of time. I lack nothing and am pretty happy all around.

But... I still don't have a f*in clue on what to do with my life.

I will think about it some more, but I have been doing so for like 5 years now without ever coming up with an answer. I do a lot, but nothing seems to suffice and I guess that's mostly because I don't have a clear goal in mind.

It's like they say, it no longer is enough these days to have a happy, carefree life. Everyone wants to be famous and excel at something.
I guess I'm no different  :-[

But what is there to excel at if you lack the talent ánd the continuous passion for anything?

I'm lost :(

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:38 PM by HHC »

Re: quarterlife crisis ne?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:18 PM »
I want it all, I want everything. I want to have a good career, a happy marriage, kids with straight A's, friends, recognition, success, money, and that thing called HAPPINESS BULLSHIT.

I think all you need are friends and good people around, and it will be enough to live a happy life even in the forest... But yeah, the main goal is to find your place in the life, I think you will feel it when it will happen, and I hope it will happen :D

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07 PM »
there is alot of creative work on life, you just need original idea and space for its development where you bear it among the masses! for example youtube, great sandbox for talents ;D

Offline Husk

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:05 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/

by not making choices... u r not restricted to only that 1 option
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:10 PM by Husk »

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Sense of accomplishment is just an illusion, world will forget you as soon as you die, so what's the point? None of the actions/decisions matter on a larger scale. Our lives are practically worthless. The whole midlife crysis is just an invention of the first world society, so they can feel bad about themselves once in a while, and at the same time being completely full of it.
So just live your life day by day, find one thing you seem to enjoy and commit to it, but for the love of goodness, stop caring about everything. There, a nihilist has spoken.

Oh, or you could try religion, that works for some people. :)

Offline HHC

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22 PM »
yeye van, I was thinking about that as well. But is it a good thought? Only live once and all that  :o

Offline Husk

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:28 PM »
give all your stuff to me and become a monk???

Offline Hussar

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:01 PM »

xDDD

Offline HHC

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:07 PM »

hehe, I actually thought several times of becoming a monk. But yeah, don't believe in god almighty and those buddhist folks can be pretty odd as well.

I find it hard to believe none of you has similar doubts about their lives. You got it all planned and worked out? Or you all suffice with 'not trying' and have a good, anonymous, life?

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Life is not worthless at least for you.  Yes on a larger scale even the earth is worthless. Fact is everything matter within your scale. You don't care about a single ant but this single ant is important in its own "ant" scale (it can be the queen) and you know the whole ant species is not worthless in the life cycle. I think it is the same for us. You might not be important even for the whole humankind but you surely are for your familly ! Their world would fall appart if you weren't here anymore. Everything is about scale. Someone like Newton was important for his surrounding but also the whole mankind. Wether you become important for the whole mankind or not by the simple act of living you became important to something. As being intelligent species we understand it and will always want to be in a larger scale. Why do you think the terrorist from Norway did that ?

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 02:16 AM »
I thought there was a lot of pot going around in the netherlands for this reason, no?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10 AM »
you say you have everything you need but have accomplished nothing

that is the source of all your problems

but you're not stupid, you know that, so the real question is, do you think you deserve what you have?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.