Forums
April 28, 2024, 09:54 PM

Author Topic: Mame / Arcade Games Thread  (Read 2731 times)

Mame / Arcade Games Thread
« on: May 16, 2011, 02:07 AM »
Hi guys,

I want to start a thread of everyone's favorite classic arcade games.  For those who remember the arcade scene, it was the only place to go to play the best games around because consoles at the time were far inferior.  The atmosphere used to be incredible on a busy saturday down my local arcade.  Nowadays it's just full of fruit machines.  

So through the normal legal channels I acquired 25gb of arcade games.  What a download I tell ya.  It's pretty much every arcade game ever made.  Just under 8,500 games.  Mortal Komat series, Tekken, Pacman, Street Fighter, Shinobi, Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Chase HQ.  You name it and I've got it (unless you say Killer Instinct).  This really is heaven I tell you and I don't know where to start :D

I got a pad coming to make the best of this insanely cool shit.  Classic style one like I had on my snes.  Keyboard isn't ideal for Street Fighter 2.

These run through the arcade emulator mame which a lot of you will know about.

So what are everyone's favorite arcade games?  Be good to play some new ones I haven't played, so recommendations welcome.  I'd also be interested to hear about any arcade memories people have.

Here's some arcade memories of mine.  

When WWF Wrestlefest first came out I remember having to queue up in my local arcade just to get a go at it.  This was 1991 so I was 11.  It was an awesome 4 player cabinet allowing 4 players to play in the Royal Rumble separately or co-op in tag teams.  By the time that game ended it's rounds in arcades I was a master and could win it every time with a single credit.  I hail Wrestlefest as the 2nd best arcade game ever.  It was simply awesome.  I can still play that and have as much fun today as I used to in my local arcade.

Mortal Kombat was another classic.  No one had seen a beat em up quite like that game, with it's digitised characters and fatality moves.  The impact that game had in arcades was immense.  Mortal Kombat 2 was another.  I had to travel to a different town to get my hands on that one when it first came out and the anticipation was like nothing else.  I had mileena's fatality written on my hand and when I pulled it off I almost pissed my pants with excitement.

Let's talk arcades!

:<

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:12 AM by Cueshark »

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Mame / Arcade Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Have you got Killer Instinct? I have :P

The downloads you have, are you talking actual arcade style, or like Mega Drive, SNES etc?

If it's arcade, you gotta hook me up mate xD

My favourite arcade game ever, i've just spent 20 minutes trying to find it but I can't remember what it's called, thats lame I can't remember :(

But, it was a shooting game, and like, I can't explain it lol, it was cartoony, I think you had a choice of 4 rooms, you chose one, and it was some random level you had to shoot things, like, there was clay shooting, shoot the jumping face, and lots others, sorry, I dunno how to explain it, but hopefully you know what I mean...

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Have you got Killer Instinct? I have :P

The downloads you have, are you talking actual arcade style, or like Mega Drive, SNES etc?

If it's arcade, you gotta hook me up mate xD

My favourite arcade game ever, i've just spent 20 minutes trying to find it but I can't remember what it's called, thats lame I can't remember :(

But, it was a shooting game, and like, I can't explain it lol, it was cartoony, I think you had a choice of 4 rooms, you chose one, and it was some random level you had to shoot things, like, there was clay shooting, shoot the jumping face, and lots others, sorry, I dunno how to explain it, but hopefully you know what I mean...

You're talking about point blank.  Pink and Blue guns.  That indeed was an awesome game.

And yeah, it's the actual arcade.  You need to insert coins and you see the machine boot up etc.

Killer Instinct requires a hard disk file but I had it a few years ago and it was awesome.  My download does include a bootleg Snes version though but it's nothing compared to the arcade is it? :P

*edit* Yeah I got point blank.  Here's a screen shot from my version.  No gun though!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:06 AM by Cueshark »

Offline Abnaxus

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Raptor !  :P
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline philie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:31 PM »
killer instinct ne1? i can do some special moves with cinder :)

my most awsome experience: playing house of the dead in an arcade hall on majorca when i was 15.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:27 AM »
killer instinct ne1? i can do some special moves with cinder :)

my most awsome experience: playing house of the dead in an arcade hall on majorca when i was 15.

House of the Dead was indeed a classic.  

:)  Also very good on the Sega Dreamcast.

Offline Ramone

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Boulder Dash on Commodore 64! I remember there was smth like 12 parts of that game and I've finished them all... I was an Boulder Dash addict some 20 years ago..

I've just searched the YouTube for it and look what I've found:

Maaaaaan, it's like time-travel machine, this picture, those sounds of moving rocks and picking diamonds gets me back in time.. .. .

Eeeeeh....  nostalgia... ;x

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I used to love going to the arcade room :P

Bust a Move was one of my favorite:

also another game with same characters : Bubble Bobble !!!

And about shooting games, of course the classical like house of the dead, or time crisis !!!
Also car games like Crazy Taxi!! or GTI club :P

PS: Ramone, I had boulder Dash on nintendo NES, cool game :P

Offline avirex

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:28 PM »
bubble bobble was my favorite, had is on nintento, i used to love that f@#! game!! was a good 2 player game, co-op <3

Offline philie

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 03:37 PM »
boulder dash, yeah! awsome! nearly forgot about that 1..

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 06:06 PM »
bubble bobble was my favorite, had is on nintento, i used to love that f@#! game!! was a good 2 player game, co-op <3

And do you remember playing the sequel to Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and the next one after that was Parasol Stars.  Both classic games also :)

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I loved Bubble Bobble! Used to play Parasol Stars on a friend of the familys Amiga back in the day!

My favourite arcade game has to be Metal Slug, such satisfying gameplay with great humour! Me and my friend spent 10 quid on that game trying to complete it lol, classic childhood game!

worm and learn

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29 PM »
I loved Bubble Bobble! Used to play Parasol Stars on a friend of the familys Amiga back in the day!

My favourite arcade game has to be Metal Slug, such satisfying gameplay with great humour! Me and my friend spent 10 quid on that game trying to complete it lol, classic childhood game!

Definitely man Metal Slug owns.  I was a Parasol Stars freak.  Loved that game.

I spent about that much on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  That game was ace.

Offline sock

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:42 PM »

Offline Devilage

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08 PM »
Donkey kong country ftw! I still got the game of supernineto, sold my sn tho

Smoking proud.