Forums
May 20, 2024, 12:25 PM

Author Topic: New laptop with 7, C:/ was full of shit, installed new Win7 on D. Can I erase C?  (Read 877 times)

Offline Free

So like title says bought new Asus and it was full of pre-installed crap and I couldnt do a fresh install from some reason so I installed it on my D drive and worked.

Can I format my C: drive and have no problems?

Just making sure before making any stupid moves.

Offline MonkeyIsland

You can. Every crucial thing must have been recreated on D next to your windows folder. Check if you have "program files (86)", "program files", "document and settings" on D.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline StepS

and ШINDOШS folder, of course
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

And 100 hidden files :D on Win7 the system disk is marked with Windows Logo, you won't be able to format it I guess.

P.S. Just to be sure, press Win+R, type msconfig. In 2nd tab you should see "D:\Windows". (currens OS, by default, etc.).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:40 AM by Statik »

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline MonkeyIsland

Yea don't format C. Instead manually delete the folders you don't want. There may be system files there.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Riviva

• Poland Poland
    • View Profile
NO! even as you have windows on D, you can't format the C!!!! Because on C (implicitly) is System memory. You need to first change it to D:

1- Computer right button mouse
2- Advanced system settings
3- With "performance" click settings
4- tuck Advanced
5- at the bottom "change"
6- click on D disc and click "controlled by the size of the system" and after "insert" down
7- Click on c disc and "no paging file"
8- save all (click ok)

Restart the computer and check again if the file is on D if it does not repeat it again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:19 AM by Riviva »

Offline Riviva

• Poland Poland
    • View Profile
btw: previously copied the controllers? Sometimes they can be the disc (as in my case) how to remove it you have suck :D

Offline Free

Oh shit.......

I thought I could format C and I did it...

Haven't restarted my PC yet..

Help? :S

Edit: even though I already formatted C:, I could still restore to previous restore point? :S
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:44 AM by Free »

format C is okay, you can format as well D, and than install windows on C

Offline Riviva

• Poland Poland
    • View Profile
Oh shit.......

I thought I could format C and I did it...

Haven't restarted my PC yet..

Help? :S

Edit: even though I already formatted C:, I could still restore to previous restore point? :S

Disc C Is the default disc for some system programs! If you want chance default drive to D, you need to install System from BIOS After you can do with disc C whatever you want :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:52 PM by Riviva »

Offline Free

Yeah I tried installing it via usb driver and start went OK but then it started complaining about about not finding some driver (prolly the usb one).

Dunno wtf went wrong, I installed Win7 on my old laptop with np as fresh install, and I don't think there's anything wrong with my USB stick either.

But for now, I'm affraid to restart so I don't come up with any troubles.

FFS, should've been more patient. :(

Offline Riviva

• Poland Poland
    • View Profile
explain:

1- Restart the computer during startup PC (at the beginning of) Run BIOS defauld press and hold F2 or F1, F10 or ins.
2- Tuck BIOS / Boot device Priority,  Enter there
3- First set to "CDROM"
4- Press F10 and save and restart
5- insert the DVD with System
6- when the message "Click any key to boot from CD" or someting, Just press anykey :)
7- Standard System Installation (in your case, the "D" Disc)

After the installation is complete, do not forget to change in BIOS To "HARDDISC" Launch System.

Offline Riviva

• Poland Poland
    • View Profile
Yeah I tried installing it via usb driver and start went OK but then it started complaining about about not finding some driver (prolly the usb one).

Dunno wtf went wrong, I installed Win7 on my old laptop with np as fresh install, and I don't think there's anything wrong with my USB stick either.

But for now, I'm affraid to restart so I don't come up with any troubles.

FFS, should've been more patient. :(

Right key mouse on "Computer" >>> "properties" >>>  device Manager  >>>  Right key mouse anywhere >>> "Scan for hardware changes"

hehe Don't forget to connect the internet :D

Either manually look for the manufacturer's website OR serach on google a program to search and install drivers.
I use: DriveEasy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:19 PM by MonkeyIsland »

Offline Free

f@#! it, I'll just restart, see what happens, if not, I'll try to fresh install with some other OS.

Offline Free

Seems to be working just fine. Phew!