Forums
March 29, 2024, 07:25 AM

Poll

What Operating System are you using as your main OS?

Windows 10
13 (48.1%)
Windows 8
0 (0%)
Windows 7
8 (29.6%)
Windows XP
1 (3.7%)
A Linux Distro
4 (14.8%)
Mac OS
1 (3.7%)
Other (Please specify in thread)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Operating System?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Kradie

Operating System?
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Windows 7 Extended support has ended today January 14th. It got me thinking, what OS are you using? Are you still running Windows 7 or older? If so then why?

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7-is-no-longer-supported-beginning-today
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Korydex

Re: Operating System?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Will use 7 until its totally impo to use it. Then might switch to some linux. Cos 7 is the last 'usable' one imo. Btw my favorite would be 2000, it's like XP, which already had everything you needed, without the gimmicks. And 98 for old games.

Offline Bloopy

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 01:21 AM »
Win7 on my desktop is my main one. I apply the policy that if something's not broken, it doesn't need fixing. Even if the next 'good' Windows doesn't use a lot more resources, it'd still be noticeable. My PC might last me a very long time given I don't really play new games though.

I have Win10 on my laptop and haven't died. I use it for work and reading Facebook or posting/editing photos when I'm away, and it's been fine.
x_+

Offline skunk3

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51 AM »
I use Windows 10 and it works fine. It definitely does hog more resources than older versions but I have a slightly more capable PC these days. Personally I think that Windows XP was the greatest.

Offline AduN

• Chile Chile
  • hai2u!!1!:)
    • View Profile
    • my page
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:55 AM »
the almighty linux+wine is my favorite choise.

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 06:27 AM »
Will use 7 until its totally impo to use it. Then might switch to some linux. Cos 7 is the last 'usable' one imo. Btw my favorite would be 2000, it's like XP, which already had everything you needed, without the gimmicks. And 98 for old games.
7 for sure, f@#! new windows.  I’m a hipster, was using windows 7 before it was cool. 

Offline cgar

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Technically there is extended extended win 7 support if you're willing to pay and jump through hoops. That or aquire the updates via.... other means ;-D.

But it really looks like the way forward is just to switch to Linux. It's about the last place you can actually have agency over your machine. And with wine, mono and proton, etc there is hardly any drawbacks at all when it comes to gaming now.

Plus the oh so many sweet perks. =D
Bash is love, bash is life xD

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:28 AM »
I use the ESU updates for Win7, just gotta use a 3rd party installer and no issues so far.

I am gonna upgrade my PC this year though with new hardware and will switch to Win10 then.