Forums
April 28, 2024, 08:00 AM

Poll

Do Technology Distract You?

Yes, VERY much.
A lot
Sometime
A little

Author Topic: Technology  (Read 996 times)

Offline Kradie

Technology
« on: December 04, 2020, 07:52 PM »
Technology.... Do you feel it distract you from human interaction? E.g: During conversation in real life with another human, do you find yourself often picking up your phone to check and reply to whatever it was that pinged you? Do you often look at phone during movie?

I ask this because of this commercial

While it is charming, it does look depressing.

Thoughts?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline doc

Re: Technology
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 09:59 PM »
depressing indeed

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Hm, to be fairly honest, I have yet to live the "whole family disconnected" cliché. It's not just this ad, but I keep being bombarded with this "everyone stuck in phone during lunch" scene, which simply doesn't seem to happen IRL...? Or maybe my family is different.

The tech and graphic design and everything combined indeed may work like a drug, and indeed I've sacrified a large part of my time in a PC, but by 2020 I simply not feel that same hype anymore. For me now it's yet another source of inspiration and tool for artistical purposes. And while I might ocassionally have no option but to hurry some work for a given deadline, I wonder why would anyone give up playing with their dog when they're not tired.

Dependency to technology isn't the same as dependency to drugs or alcohol, I got grounded without PC for long times during teenhood, and I don't remember any weird abstinence symphtoms lol. I got my first phone very late in life too. I've grown with a PC next to me, and I can tell it done less damage to me than my dad did.

If this much technology didn't exist today, I'd spend my time on mechanical machines, drawing paintings, or fill an entire library with alchemy books to study/practice.
With the current technology, I can put better imagination and achieve fast results with written mechanisms, make a whole animation let alone tell a story through it, and any information has never been so easy to access (granted you know how to find it)...

That said, I don't think anyone intends to be egotistical with their pets nor leave them behind on purpose; but it would be so freaking cool if they understood our technology... anyone can dream lol

EDIT: Things as they are, the technology has worse quality and goals than years ago. Nowadays it's little to no "real" charm behind manipulative design too. I'm quite retro indeed, I don't own "modern" gaming consoles, but man, the only time I tried some FIFA or PES game in a PS3 (not sure which), there's so many menus, so much text, so LONG so MANY loading times, holy shit. Perhaps the game's base was being tested in a different console and it happens to be a pseudo-port or something like that. But who would complain these days when it's YOUR fault when an unnecessarily heavy PC game needs a stupidly powerful system to run, all so games can still be made under shitty conditions and shitty code. I wonder just how much horsepower gets thrown to the trash can these days. This is, of course, not a critism to interpreted programming languages (or any in general, even plain C adds a bit of overhead compared to plain Assembly), but Yandere Simulator is far from being the only offender here. Disney Universe played like shit in my sister's old PC... but the Wii version worked just fine in Dolphin, same PC.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:27 PM by lolicon-guy »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 01:08 PM »
I've grown with a PC next to me, and I can tell it done less damage to me than my dad did.