Forums
May 04, 2024, 10:38 PM

Author Topic: I have a multi-monitor setup now, can no longer play W:A  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Kubu-Tsukareta

I have a multi-monitor setup now, can no longer play W:A
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Whenever I boot up Worms, my primary screen does not show the game's main menu. Instead, it will flicker on an off for about two or three minutes. Does anyone know how to get it working right?
Curiously, I can open replay files without any issues.

Offline LeTotalKiller

Re: I have a multi-monitor setup now, can no longer play W:A
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:03 PM »
There is a known issue along those lines for Windows 7 computers with multiple monitors and a Direct3D(9-only?)-based renderer. It can be worked around through by a DirectDraw-based renderer (at the cost of losing the Steam overlay if launching the game through Steam; use either Renderer_DirectDraw_8bit.reg or Renderer_DirectDraw_32bit.reg from the \Tweaks\ directory if you opt for that solution), or by using the D3DWnd WormKit module.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:09 PM by LeTotalKiller »

Offline StepS

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31 PM »
This problem only affects Windows 7, it doesn't happen on Vista and 8. You may enable "Disable desktop composition" in the compatibility settings of WA.exe, OR install my D3D9Wnd, which will not only solve your problem, but also allow you to run the game in windowed mode and spanned across your multiple monitors, so your game area is expanded to two monitors! Like this.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:36 PM »
what a bad luck..

Offline Kubu-Tsukareta

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Never mind; turns out it was a problem with steam. Worms works just fine now.
The fact that the menu is sitting in the corner is rather irksome for me. Is there an option I can enable to put it in a window I can move around?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:11 PM by Kubu-Tsukareta »

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:56 PM »
In a corner, really? Normally you should be able to tell your graphics card (or monitor) what to do with fullscreen applications that run at resolutions lower than your screen's native one, as the WA frontend does. Most manufacturers give you the option to either not scale the picture at all and have it centred in the middle, scale it up so it touches one of the borders of your screen, or stretch it so it covers the entire screen. You should probably look into that, it'll be in the scaling settings of your graphics driver.

Windowed mode isn't doable without the D3DWnd module StepS mentioned up there. You can find it in the list here:

http://worms2d.info/WormKit

Offline Kubu-Tsukareta

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:28 AM »
In a corner, really? Normally you should be able to tell your graphics card (or monitor) what to do with fullscreen applications that run at resolutions lower than your screen's native one, as the WA frontend does. Most manufacturers give you the option to either not scale the picture at all and have it centred in the middle, scale it up so it touches one of the borders of your screen, or stretch it so it covers the entire screen. You should probably look into that, it'll be in the scaling settings of your graphics driver.

Windowed mode isn't doable without the D3DWnd module StepS mentioned up there. You can find it in the list here:

http://worms2d.info/WormKit

Yes, I have that. That's the reason the frontend is in a corner. I don't know what settings to enable to get a windowed frontend.

Offline StepS

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Yes, I have that. That's the reason the frontend is in a corner. I don't know what settings to enable to get a windowed frontend.
it is already windowed: it's just borderless. Unfortunately we have to thank Team17 for making a very awkward frontend, in short words, it is impossible to move the frontend's window around because Team17 made it in such an universally stupid way that sticks it to the top left corner. The frontend's window consists of two, or in some extreme cases, even three windows, one of which is a very huge-ass crutch that causes all of these problems. Moving either of these windows will make epicest glitches to both mouse movement and the interface rendering which are not solvable even by the two programmers constantly updating the game for more than a decade with source code access, and we aren't even speaking of enlarging the frontend's bounds. Have you thought why we are still in a 640x480 frontend environment, after all these years?
However you can stretch it graphically by enabling "Stretch" in the ini file (section "Frontend"), or set a custom size, but both of these will eat your mouse inside a window: this is intentional to prevent you from seeing how badly the frontend is made (I have explained something else here). Until frontend is fixed by the game's maintainers (that will happen once an official windowed mode is added) or gets rid of its awkward DXMFC system, moving the frontend window will very likely remain in your dreams.

The most likely reason for a bad frontend implementation is because Worms Armageddon was released for a lot of gaming consoles (nintendo etc), and so Team17 "optimized" it for the console. Worms 2, otherwise, is not console-oriented, and therefore has a nice windowed frontend which still works flawlessly without any glitches even on the newest systems, same for the in-game.

However, everything is perfect when playing a match: the in-game window can have a border without problems and can be moved around, you can do various things there, including multi-monitor play (set "InGame" to 1 and set the number of "Monitors" to use to enable multi-monitor gameplay)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:19 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]