Forums
May 04, 2024, 10:01 PM

Author Topic: Online game disconnects  (Read 1260 times)

Offline DeimosVdPlas

• Chile Chile
  • Wasa wasa!
    • View Profile
Online game disconnects
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:30 AM »
Hello, I have a problem when i play with my brother or friends, during a online match sometimes the game just freezes (like waiting for the other player) and then suddenly the other player surrenders and disconnects from the game, this doesn't allow us to finish a single match and is really annoying.

I host the servers sometimes using WormNAT2, but with it occurs with other methods like with hamachi or direct IP play. What can be the problem?

Offline Deadcode

Re: Online game disconnects
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04 AM »
It sounds like you are experiencing desynchronizations. This is almost certainly due to one or two settings being different on your end and your friend's end: Rope Knocking and/or Blood Amount.

When joining a game via WormNET it is not possible for these settings to be out of sync, because they are associated with what channel you enter (#AnythingGoes, #PartyTime, etc.) but with Direct IP, sync of these two settings is not directly enforced. We've taken some steps to make W:A less likely to let these settings go out of sync, but apparently it hasn't been enough because people have still been experiencing these types of desynchronizations.

Here's how to avoid it: When playing Direct IP games, always have the host host W:A either on WormNET or by using a "wa:host" URL ("wa:host?Scheme=Pf" for Rope Knocking=100%, "wa:host?Scheme=Be" for Blood Amount=100%, "wa:host?Scheme=Pf,Be" for both) and then have the host type the "/url" command to put a URL for clients to join in their clipboard, which they can then paste to each player they invite to join their game as a client. This method gives the game a Game ID which W:A checks to make sure all sides used the correct URL.

The host should not host the game by clicking "Direct IP" with no IP address entered in, or by launching W:A with a "wa://" URL. This method results in a blank Game ID which allows Rope Knocking and Blood Amount to be out of sync. (And clients should not be able to join the game by entering the host's IP address next to the "Direct IP" button and clicking "Direct IP".) A WA URL can be launched simply by "running" it using Start -> Run.

I intend to fix this issue in the next W:A Update, but in the meantime, hopefully the above solution is one you and your friends can use.

BTW, I don't know anything about Hamachi. Does it integrate with W:A in any way?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:08 AM by Deadcode »

Offline DeimosVdPlas

• Chile Chile
  • Wasa wasa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:39 PM »
First of all thanks for your answer.
So, tell me if I'm wrong, to avoid the eventual disconnect from the other players or mine I need to host a game with Direct IP and not via WormNet? I usually use WormNet to host the games ( I have WormNAT2 too btw) so is strange that this can occur according to what you said.

I think it will be a bit tedious how to avoid with your solution, or, at least I can't understand too well that method  :P

Hamachi... well, I can't tell much about it, a friend of mine recommend it so we used it a couple of times but the game "crashed" or disconnected like usual. Hamachi gives your an IP, with a channel, other poeple join your channel and IP so we only copy the IP that Hamachi gives and pasted on the Direct IP section in the online mode of WA, but, as I said, they, at some random point of the game surrender and disconnects from the game.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Hamachi is basically a VPN:
Hamachi is intended as a zero-configuration virtual private network (VPN) application that is capable of establishing direct links between computers that are behind NAT firewalls without requiring reconfiguration

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 06:32 PM »
First of all thanks for your answer.
So, tell me if I'm wrong, to avoid the eventual disconnect from the other players or mine I need to host a game with Direct IP and not via WormNet? I usually use WormNet to host the games ( I have WormNAT2 too btw) so is strange that this can occur according to what you said.

Okay maybe I assumed too much. If you're hosting via WormNET and other players are also joining via WormNET (or joining via your /url), there should be no problem at all. So maybe I need more information.

Could you please send me your .WAgame replay file of one of these games that ended prematurely, and if possible, the replay file(s) of the other player(s) in that same game round?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:39 PM by Deadcode »

Offline DeimosVdPlas

• Chile Chile
  • Wasa wasa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Sure I will! i'll send you the one from my view (Ledill) and from my brother(Hanzo)

Offline Deadcode

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Thanks, got them. And it turns out I was completely wrong about it being a desynchronization problem. It appears to be a network-related problem.

The replay files don't give me enough information to figure out what happened in a case like this. Could you please record a game session using Wireshark and send that to me? http://worms2d.info/Recording_a_packet_log — if you can get your friend to do this at the same time, it'd be even better.

Offline DeimosVdPlas

• Chile Chile
  • Wasa wasa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 05:10 PM »
I've been trying to record while a online disconnect, but we have been playing and it haven't disconnect or anything, just with my friends btw, so my theory is that there is a problem when I play with my brother in a server (he is in the same house of mine, connects via wi-fi on the router), but I will try to play with my friends again and see if it disconnects again.