Forums
May 02, 2024, 03:30 PM

Author Topic: We need TUS rewards.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Anubis

We need TUS rewards.
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Hey, while chatting with HHC about the activity decrease across singles/clans I proposed some ideas to make people play more again.

I believe that TUS is not making enough effort to fully reward people that actually help make this league survive, when you win the PO, win the league, are #1 in scheme x etc. you are not rewarded enough. So instead of a boring medal that is not special at all and are not integrated in the day to day chatter on TUS. When someone wins the PO you must make sure everyone here on TUS sees it, in the forums, in the chat, in the standings, everywhere, shove it up their ass that there is one player/clan to rule them all. Make real progression in TUS possible. Here are some very simple ideas on how to make progression work:

Remove donations make you all shiny, donations shouldn't be rewarded in any way imo, they should come from your heart and not be "paid" extra functions.

Idea #1:

Colors of success.

Step1. When a player/clan wins PO the player/clan gets the ability to choose his/her/their color on TUS for 1 season.
Step 2. When a player/clan wins PO 3 times in a row the player/clan gets the ability to choose his/her/their color on TUS for 1 year.
Step 3. When a player/clan wins PO 6 times in a row (basically 1 year dominance) the player/clan gets to choose his/her/their color on TUS forever!

People love goals, I would try with dt to make that dominance happen for 1 year because I love to pick my color. :D And people will want to stop that player/clan that is almost there.

Idea #2:

Complaint Moderators in Scheme xy:

Be the best in scheme xy for 1 season and be granted moderator status to handle complaints for games that involve the scheme you were #1 in. Duration: 1 season, option: Infinitely.

This is a win-win for TUS staff and players alike. These people that dominate 1 scheme know their scheme inside out, they know the flaws, the exploits and more importantly the RULES of the scheme. This will allow people that would like to show they are worthy moderators to prove themselves to the public. Abusive behavior (bias) can easily be seen when decisions are made where clear rules guide the case. Of course handling complaints is voluntary, so you are not forced to handle complaints if you don't like that. But still you get some extra fluff that everyone will be able to see, and the knowledge of POWER. ;)

What are your thoughts? Staff/Players, let's come together to make some progression in TUS possible, we don't have $ or headphones to giveaway for the pro players, but we can still create real achievements to hunt.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:14 PM by Anubis »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
Re: We need TUS rewards.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:14 PM »
achivementsssssss
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Achievements that actually unlock something that only privileged people can obtain by playing the game and winning the league.
Also ropa, don't forget, many people do stupid achievements for extra fluff like in WoW the mounts that you can unlock. It has mass appeal depending on what you can unlock. :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:18 PM by Anubis »

Offline rU`

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:20 PM »
The first idea is very good for encouraging people to fight for the titles. We had this in LW, league winners earned their name in green forever and this is something everyone always respected. Having something like this on TUS would definitely be win.

I don't agree with the 2nd one though. There are more things involved to be a good moderator. I dare to say the best moderators in worm leagues history have never been top notch players.
LaW`T0WER , LoR`T0WER at wwp 2004-2007

TdC`Leroy , cFc`Leroy at w:a 2005-2008

Played leagues: CBC/CBS, FB, XTC, LW, TUS.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Achievements that actually unlock something that only privileged people can obtain by playing the game and winning the league.
Also ropa, don't forget, many people do stupid achievements for extra fluff like in WoW the mounts that you can unlock. It has mass appeal depending on what you can unlock. :P

i have tried to convince leagues to implement this coupled with a replay parser (for game stats based achivements like acurracy and other crazy shit) since we tried to make fos and failed. career achievements, season achievements, forum achievements, in-game achievements...... achievements that change the color of your username, achievements that give you a custom title..................

would be cool if some sort of amazing guy would pop up and take the work load it would take to make something like this coupled with achivements profiles and full implementation with the website (banners announcing latest achievement broken, ranking of users based off achievement points) etccccc

because only so many people actually are league contenders, this offers a market of goals for those who don't stand a realistic chance: the vast majority of the userbase.

i think i got into detail with MI long ago about it and I had a .doc explaining the basics with examples and all... but I think that's lost forever
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:28 PM by Aerox »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Sounds all good adolfo, what was the conclusion of actually happening by MI?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Sounds all good adolfo, what was the conclusion of actually happening by MI?

it needs a person with very good programming skills coupled with a lot of dedication and time

there's plenty of programmers, however, time is harder to come by

not to mention the parser never actually saw light, there was an early version able of reading much of what was going on in the game, but we need to read that from the site, and understand it so it can add up stats where it's due... it's quite a task since it all works automatically from just reporting a game and doing magic with the replay file
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:32 PM by Aerox »
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:32 PM »
I see, well there we go, let's donate for a feature like that. SPW, got more money to pay a programmer? :D

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Regarding idea one,
It can be done and actually it is already possible in a bit better way. Since TUS2, it is possible to style each nickname. like you can give shadows, different color for each character, different size and ultimately it is possible to use an image instead of your nickname text.
This feature (which nobody has used so far) was initially for people who donated more than 100$ (like HHC), but they never used it.

Regarding the scheme, I know there are many good players that could be a good moderator, but overall it is not something to rely on. Specially if a "bad mod" earns his rights and then we stop him from what we promised earlier.

@ropa,
You proposed the idea to me and I told you I'm totally OK with it but then you went away. If we have an executable of this program (because last time you told me, it wasn't ready yet), I certainly would give it a go.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:56 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline SPW

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I see, well there we go, let's donate for a feature like that. SPW, got more money to pay a programmer? :D

If I can choose. Lets say..woman, good programming skills, perfect age, can also wash, clean and cook. Maybe.  ;D

And I like the first part of your idea. But just for the record. I never did my donations cause of the coloured name. It came from heart otherwise I woudldnt do anything. Same goes to sponsoring tel, eac.

Offline Rok

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:35 PM »
i have tried to convince leagues to implement this coupled with a replay parser (for game stats based achivements like acurracy and other crazy shit) since we tried to make fos and failed. career achievements, season achievements, forum achievements, in-game achievements...... achievements that change the color of your username, achievements that give you a custom title..................

This is interesting and I'd be willing to help with it if it kicks off. How well is the file format of replays known, btw?
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline barman

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:09 PM »
How well is the file format of replays known, btw?
WKB describes the replay format very well: http://worms2d.info/Replay_file

Aside from that, you can just extract easily readable log files from replays via windows shell command. This alone makes it possible to get just about any useful information about the game progress you would want to get your hands on without having to resort to read binary data directly from the WAgame file.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

Offline Rok

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Parsing log files is sort of wasteful, isn't it?
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51 AM »
what about an optional field when you report rr to give the winning time so  we can have like an incentive to win a specific time in rr ?
It would also give more statistics about rr maps.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31 AM »
what about an optional field when you report rr to give the winning time so  we can have like an incentive to win a specific time in rr ?
It would also give more statistics about rr maps.
Simple yet elegant.  This is easy to implement, and allows for more data and statistical collection, which is always good.