Forums
May 07, 2024, 12:12 AM

Author Topic: Fall Damage  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Dub-c

Fall Damage
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:44 AM »
Do you think having a slightly higher fall damage for ropers would make ropers more skillfull or less skillfull?
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Fall Damage
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:48 AM »
I think if you accidentally fell, for example, on top, with easy FD from top to bottom off the sides, you gonna get owned lol.

I don't think it would affect the "skill level" but it would be interesting to watch those games where every crate is collected and both players manage to hit, with a possiblity of fall damage now and again.

Offline avirex

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39 AM »
of course it would make it more skillfull

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I wouldn't say more skillful, it still requires the same limit of skill with a rope to win and we all know how to make good FD so you aren't exactly inventing anything new it just means any FD you do is amplified and if you fall you take more damage, so we'll just have to be more careful not to fall, and I don't see how trying harder not to fall because of the risk would be raising the skill as i'm sure we all try 100% not to fall anyway lol so I don't see how you can improve the skill level just by raising the FD, I do think it's a good idea though and i'd love to try it out :)

Please don't start arguing with me avi, I think I raised a good point here, I am not trying to start an arguement and I think this is obvious, this is just what I honestly think, if you disagree i'd like to hear it put in a good way please.

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:37 PM »
less skillful!

The tiny bits of fd you get when you strategically make a worm bounce against a wall are negligent. The only FDs that really matter are the ones you get when you fall on top of the map. If you multiply the FD such a fall would be fatal (it already takes a huge chunk of your energy), whereas falling three or four times on the bottom of the map wouldn't have any real consequences. It would be a matter of being lucky not to fall in the wrong places.

If you never fall and keep on hitting, there's no reason to worry about losing a game as it is right now IMO.

edit: as Komo says, it's only interesting when both players hit 100% of the time, which is like never, certainly not on a mablak.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:38 PM »
Well said HHC, i'm in total agreement :)

Offline avirex

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51 AM »
ahhh, a modified all that cuss words, and shit talk to komo.... so this is just a plank post.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Eh? lol

Offline TitiO

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:32 PM »
we have to see the both sides

skillfull - the players will play without errors, will train more for that.

less skillfull - the players will play with more fear to fall. playing more slowly.

but the best player will remain. if u are good, and play without errors, train everyday, u will dont have fear to fall =P

---- btw.. idc.. lol ---- juz my opnion :P

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 06:23 PM »
less skillful!

The tiny bits of fd you get when you strategically make a worm bounce against a wall are negligent. The only FDs that really matter are the ones you get when you fall on top of the map. If you multiply the FD such a fall would be fatal (it already takes a huge chunk of your energy), whereas falling three or four times on the bottom of the map wouldn't have any real consequences. It would be a matter of being lucky not to fall in the wrong places.

If you never fall and keep on hitting, there's no reason to worry about losing a game as it is right now IMO.

edit: as Komo says, it's only interesting when both players hit 100% of the time, which is like never, certainly not on a mablak.

Its not about falling and doing damage to yourself but having the skill to attack the other worm and get fall damage. If fall damage was slightly higher and if in 8 turns you get 6 fall damage every turn, you can make up a full attack and do 47 extra damage. So you can  make up for an  attack you missed or take the lead by an attack.

I don't know how you can argue that more fd wouldn't add more skill.

Offline Devilage

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Nah I'm ok with 72fd top adding more damage to fd's would make the game shorter I don't like that.

Smoking proud.

Offline Dub-c

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Why do I even bother

Offline HHC

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Its not about falling and doing damage to yourself but having the skill to attack the other worm and get fall damage. If fall damage was slightly higher and if in 8 turns you get 6 fall damage every turn, you can make up a full attack and do 47 extra damage. So you can  make up for an  attack you missed or take the lead by an attack.

I don't know how you can argue that more fd wouldn't add more skill.

That's the other side of the medal. Giving FD does take skill, and multiplying the damage does increase the importance of '51'-drops, but on the other side, it's also a game decider that will ruin any chance of getting back in the game when you fall on the middle or the top of map.
I think that disadvantage greatly overrules the advantage. Whether you do 3 or 6 fall damage per turn extra, in either case it's enough to take an advantage over your opponent. Yet, when things go wrong and one of the players takes an ugly fall... "consequences will never be the same"  ;)

For me this is like putting 5 power clusters in mole shopper. Compared to the other weapons the cluster is equal to a banana, but instead of 1, you get 3. 3 clusters can take out 75% of the team in one shot, that makes them way overpowered and shakes the balance of the game.
Likewise in Roper, double FD-damage might give up to 150-200 damage in one single turn. And that doesn't sound like a balanced scheme to me.