Forums
May 05, 2024, 02:23 AM

Author Topic: Post your tourney enhancement requests here  (Read 2205 times)

Offline chakkman

Post your tourney enhancement requests here
« on: March 29, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Just thought i'll do a topic where you can post things you'd like to be added to the tourney stuff, of course it should be things that are possible to do so i start off with some really simple stuff:

This is the way tourneys get displayed on this site when you click on current tourneys link:

In my opinion the "created" column should be replaced by the date and time the tourney starts so you can see easily when the tourneys get played when you browse the tourney page. Not really of much interest when the tourney was added for the players.

Edit: One thing i'd also like to see is less tourneys, more players. Maybe some remember the FTM tourney stuff which became quite soul less (also due to the automated shit) because there were like 5 tourneys every day. Also a rule to announce tourneys one week before they start would be nice but i think that's already in the making.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:36 PM by chakkman »

Re: Post your tourney enhancement requests here
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:54 PM »
glad you made this thread chakk, ill be posting soon. Remember the rr tourn, 5 minutes!
worm and learn

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:23 PM »

Results can become somewhat unclear like here :)

Offline chakkman

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Yep, also noticed that a couple of times...

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05 AM »
Chakk I remember the FTM Tournaments too lol, and you are right, used to be up to 5 a day, literally at least 30-40 Tournaments everyweek, until everyone got so fed up with Tournaments their numbers dropped or something.

But on the other hand, they did do a good job :)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:21 AM »
Firstly, the tournament Mod needs to have greater control of the tournament. Today I made a mistake and put the wrong person through by accident. Luckily MI was online and he was able to correct the problem. If he hadnt been online however, it would have been very annoying.

Mods need to be able to cancel decisions incase they make mistakes. They also need to have full control of the board. Today zippo left right at the end of the tournament and so I played the final instead of him (although I think it will be ok if he plays the final tomorrow). My point is Mods need to be able replace players with other players if they leave. Full control.

Another feature I think would be useful is an "auto lock feature". This feature would allow the Mod to have the tournament automatically lock when a certain number of players have joined. For example if I tick the box "Lock at 16 players", then the tournament will not allow any more players to join the tournament.

Why? This stops the mod from having to check every 5 minutes how many players have joined, and if you are aiming for 16 players and 17 join, you dont want to have to waste time waiting for other players to join, or be forced to remove somebody from the tournament.

If a tournament is created with a signup time say two hours before or after another tournament, there should be a warning message letting the person no. The last tourney I hosted started an hour after an elite tounrey which was annoying. I know that I should have checked, but I didnt check properly and people will still make mistakes even after checking. A simple warning message like "Warning! The signup time of your tournament is close to that of another tournament. Perhaps you should select a different time", that pops up when you create the tourney would be good.

At the moment tournament signups can only happen on the hour. It would be nice if it went in increments of 15 minutes. This way I could host a tournament for example at 19:30, or 20:45.

Finally, advertising. This could also apply for cups. Sometimes people miss cups and tournaments that they would have liked to play in simply because they dont know about them, or forgot to check the recent cups/tournaments page. It would be cool if players could access a page where they can tick check boxes with all of the schemes on them. If for example I tick the boxes "Shopper", "TTRR" and "Elite", then TUS will send me a private message as soon as that cup or tourney has been created. So if for example an Elite cup is created, TUS will automatically send me a PM saying "Dimitiry has created an Elite cup: insert link here".

Thats all I can think of for now! Most important is definitely the tournament Mods control, so please address that first!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:23 AM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Finally, advertising. This could also apply for cups.

Well, I decided not to advertise the latest cup I started and I was staggered to find out almost all games were played in the group and I hardly had to do anything with it so far. If people need advertisements to know about a cup's existence, chances are they're not too interested in finishing their games.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40 AM »
Well, I decided not to advertise the latest cup I started and I was staggered to find out almost all games were played in the group and I hardly had to do anything with it so far. If people need advertisements to know about a cup's existence, chances are they're not too interested in finishing their games.

Not true.

I want to get games done although Ive missed out on cups because I havent known about them. Ive forgotton to check the current cups page, it happens.

If I had however received a PM informing me that a cup in one of my desired schemes had been created, I would have definitely joined.

I dont see how or why you would argue against a feature that would improve the accessibility of cups and tournaments and make TUS better all round.
worm and learn

Offline Husk

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:25 AM »
how hard is it to miss the latest cups? click me

I do agree with the "lock at 16 players" however, good idea (=
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:32 AM by Husk »

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Lmao, well pointed +1 Husk :)

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:06 AM »
how hard is it to miss the latest cups? click me

People miss them, a significant number. I dont look at all the stuff on the homepage, I come straight to the forums or league standings/recent games, as do many others.

and now im looking, my homepage doesnt have latest cups on it.

Regardless, a PM system would be great, also an option to send an email. Many people dont check tus regularly but would still like to participate in a cup or tournament of one of their preferred schemes.

edit: just customised my home page, but still, many wont!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:50 AM by NAiL »
worm and learn

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:15 AM »
nail if you have 17 you still have the possibility to remove the last one who joined.
And it's my fault, I should've checked your ttrr tourney and elite. I'm the one who approves so blame me for this :p
And 1-2 tourneys maximum a day so people don't get bored of it, FTM was 5-6 a day.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Yes but its not very nice for mod to have to remove that player. If it locks automatically it works on a first come first serve basis, which is good. This feature doesnt have to be implemented, its only a suggestion.

I dont agree with limiting tournaments to 1-2 a day. As long as people are willing to play I see no problem with people being able to host as many as they like as long as they are different schemes dont coincide with the time of another tournament (within 1.5 hours before and after the signup date). If people get bored then they wont join and tourney numbers will naturally decrease.

I also dont see why a tournament needs to be approved, what if a mod isnt available on that day or doesnt see it in time? Unlike a cup tournaments only take place in one session, it doesnt need much forward planning or external moderation (other than that of the tournament mod).

By far the most important of my suggestions is full control of the board by the moderator, this should be a priority!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:13 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05 PM »
I am guessing they must be approved so you don't end up with clashing Tournaments and 10 a day etc?

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Well, a couple of examples of rejected cups come to mind, like these.

Not true.

I want to get games done although Ive missed out on cups because I havent known about them. Ive forgotton to check the current cups page, it happens.

If I had however received a PM informing me that a cup in one of my desired schemes had been created, I would have definitely joined.

I dont see how or why you would argue against a feature that would improve the accessibility of cups and tournaments and make TUS better all round.

You seem to have misunderstood what I said. My point was that people who regularly check the cups page without needing commercials are more likely to be active in their cup play.
You're saying that's not true, because some active cup players miss cups that they like the scheme of, but even though that's true, it's irrelevant to the point I was making.