Forums
May 02, 2024, 01:55 PM

Author Topic: Rating again...  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Groovy

Rating again...
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:02 PM »
HEllo !
WEll because stupids getting points on noobs , i wonder if there is anyy possibility how to change it... and there is

What i suppose that the amount of points u get should be relative with rating (points) of player you beat. What does it mean?

If you have 0 points and you beat someone with 0 points... you get classic amount of points.
But if you have 0 ponits and play with someone who has 100 points, you get more !

You just get part of his rate...  I hope you guys know what i mean...

Cause like this... If some clans play against "FUB" (or whatever noobs they are) to get cheap points, then i think there should be difference between playing someone in TOP and some noobs with no points

----------------
Now playing: JungleFever - Simply relax
via FoxyTunes

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Rating again...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Have you already read THIS?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Monkey, only problem is that Groovy is seemingly right. There is only a little difference in beating someone from the bottom and from the top.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:21 PM »
That's because it is our first season. and people haven't reach their true rank yet.

However if people want the points to change more, They can drop off a few posts ;)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Rok

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:40 AM »
I will do that soon, MI. :)
The way things are atm, it's too much like "2 points for win, -1 for lose" system.

Greetz
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Rok there's a very thin line here. Gaining points for the high-skilled player must worth to play for SO that it gives the low-skilled a chance to win more points than usual.

If we give the high-skilled player a  few points, Yes that would make him stop noob bashing. But it will take away the "noob"'s chance to win a lot of points.

Our points system is like this at the very max situation:

Elite player beats absolute beginner player --> Elite player gain 20 points. (Half of standard)
Absolute beginner will lose 1 point --> the mininum amount he can lose.

Absolut beginner beats an Elite player --> Absolute beginner gains 140 points.
Elite player loses 81 points. 

Offline Rok

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Rok there's a very thin line here. Gaining points for the high-skilled player must worth to play for SO that it gives the low-skilled a chance to win more points than usual.

If we give the high-skilled player a  few points, Yes that would make him stop noob bashing. But it will take away the "noob"'s chance to win a lot of points.

With a ranking system based on ELO, u'd have basically the SAME effect. The difference is, that the amount of points gained/lost changes faster. Dario, for example has got like 30-0 score in intermediate and still gets 30 points for winning against absolute begginer compared to 40 when he started from scratch. That doesn't really discourage noob-bashing (i know, Dario would win vs anyone, but i just used an extreme example :)).

That's because it is our first season. and people haven't reach their true rank yet.

pr is leading the table with 110 games played and 75 % wins (gj pr  ;)) and he's still on 2nd rank! If u ask me, he should be already close to "elite" rank or at least somewhere in the middle of ranking ladder. Instead, he still needs like 1000+ games to be played to reach top ranking. That's too extreme imo (damn, will w:a even survive that long :o)

Btw, if u don't know what ELO is, read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELO_rating

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Why do you think people must be able to go to "Elite" rank in one season?

In each season stats will be reset, But when poeple report their games, system will count their total rank without any time limit.

For example in Season #2 Dario stats will be reset to 1000. But when Dario reports a game, system will count him as an Elite Intermediate player.

One way is to increase the points/losts, hmm another way is to decrease rate system. Like each 50 points one level in rates. So that elite will be over 2000 points.

Offline Dario

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 01:24 PM »
For example in Season #2 Dario stats will be reset to 1000. But when Dario reports a game, system will count him as an Elite Intermediate player.
That is a smart way of almost solving the capital sin of applying a rating system designed for a permanent ladder that never gets reseted (you kind of keep track of what happened in the previous seasons here with this adjectives ranking).

-Nothing personal there, I am just as evil when reviewing my own work-

But!, it has a sad consequence:
Someone who has earned his elite rank at something, in a new season he will win points slower than someone who has just started playing in the league. Imagine that Mablak played here and got his elite rank at RR. A few seasons later Ryan comes and he will be getting more points for beating the same guys Mablak beats, until Ryan gets his Elite rank too. Then between two players the one who joined the league later gets a nice advantage, and the time this advantage lasts will be longer as climbing ranks is slower (if it took 3 seasons for Ryan to reach the elite rank, then the advantage Ryan has would last 3 seasons).
Momentarily not playing TUS league games.

Offline Rok

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Someone who has earned his elite rank at something, in a new season he will win points slower than someone who has just started playing in the league. Imagine that Mablak played here and got his elite rank at RR. A few seasons later Ryan comes and he will be getting more points for beating the same guys Mablak beats, until Ryan gets his Elite rank too. Then between two players the one who joined the league later gets a nice advantage, and the time this advantage lasts will be longer as climbing ranks is slower (if it took 3 seasons for Ryan to reach the elite rank, then the advantage Ryan has would last 3 seasons).

There are ways to compensate that. But as long points calculating stays as it is, we'll have to live with that.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Any idea about making the points system better is appreciated ;)