Forums
May 14, 2024, 09:05 AM

Author Topic: Would/Should TUS support Worms WMD?  (Read 1179 times)

Online TheWalrus

Would/Should TUS support Worms WMD?
« on: December 17, 2015, 02:10 PM »
I guess I never considered it, and since there is a lack of interest, but if team17 could hypothetically release a worthy game, would TUS host a league for it? 

I never understood if TUS was created specifically for WA, or if MI is even willing to put in the effort to adapt the league for a new game format. 

I assume that any responses to this will be that the new game will suck, which I agree with, it will suck; but the question remains, should TUS diversify if the opportunity presents itself?  Or would it just dilute the community we have here already?

It would be nice to attract people to WA that wouldn't otherwise play it, that seems to be the only way to draw people at this point, organically playing a 17 year old game at this point seems few and far between in terms of people picking it out of the blue. 

Offline Anubis

Re: Would/Should TUS support Worms WMD?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 02:19 PM »
The league should definitely spread out to other worms games. I know it's unlikely but if TUS spearheads into WMD from day 1 people that otherwise would not check out W:A might get interested. Even a big promotion for WMD could be done. Scrap the W:A money rewards and put it into WMD 1st season to get guaranteed spotlight.

The only problem though, is to figure out which schemes actually work in WMD lol. We would need a day 1 test it all team and see what is possible with WMD and then quickly start the promotion of TUS on Steam.

Since I plan to get WMD anyway I will check out the roping and if it can be adapted into RR and Roper.
I suppose default schemes such as elite are a given since even in worst case scenario (bad scheme/map editors) it is gonna have a scheme that is close enough.
BnG is probably also gonna work with basic scheme editor options.

Online TheWalrus

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Scrap the W:A money rewards and put it into WMD 1st season to get guaranteed spotlight.
I think this is the most important part, it may upset those top WA players that are trying to get their 100$ or whatever, but I really doubt that cash is driving WA league activity now. 

However, the notion of prizes may appeal to those picking up a new game where they feel the have a shot at getting cash or whatever.  Bottom line, it creates viability to this hypothetical league.  I'd like to hear where monkeyisland comes down on all of this.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Doesn't seem lots of people are interested in spreading TUS to more Worms games. xD

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Does WMD support replays? I don't know how such league could work otherwise.

Current TUS must be updated anyway. (with or without new game) It's an old software and needs a good boost.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:56 PM »
Does WMD support replays? I don't know how such league could work otherwise.

Current TUS must be updated anyway. (with or without new game) It's an old software and needs a good boost.

Leagues used to work without replays before, but it required more work. :P

Offline skunk3

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Replay files are not going to be a feature of WMD (for now), which is a shame.

I, for one, would love to see TUS branch out and be inclusive of Worms in general, rather than being specifically focused on W:A. It would bring in new people (and possibly donations), and perhaps even convince some stubborn older players to try some of the newer games. It wouldn't be hard to advertise for either, as the only real outlets for those games are:

1. The Steam forums
2. The Worms Guild Facebook group
3. Small Worms communities on PSN and perhaps XBox1 (I don't know if XB1 has "communities" as PS4 does...)

I have a feeling that WMD is going to be a very active game since it will be the first Worms game ever to (eventually) be cross-play compatible with basically every platform from XBox to Linux/Mac.

It would be more of a pain to run leagues without the replay files, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:29 AM »
How is a replay file going to work on ps4 or xbox1 though?

Offline skunk3

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 03:42 AM »

That kinda illustrates some of my fears regarding WMD. I imagine that Team17 are going to make all versions identical, which means that the PC version is probably going to be nerfed in the sense that it won't include content that it SHOULD.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:47 AM »

That kinda illustrates some of my fears regarding WMD. I imagine that Team17 are going to make all versions identical, which means that the PC version is probably going to be nerfed in the sense that it won't include content that it SHOULD.
Yeah that is exactly what I'm worried about.

Offline Triad

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 11:08 AM »
I would love to see wmd here supported so we can gather more players but I don't think WMD will be good enough to be implementable, both replays and game physics.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 01:17 PM »
Maybe we just all go on WMD and spam how good w.a is and try to get everyone over here  ;D

Offline Kradie

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Maybe we just all go on WMD and spam how good w.a is and try to get everyone over here  ;D

I don't think they would care, maybe the minority..

Worms WMD looks real good since WWP.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB