Forums
May 11, 2024, 10:31 PM

Author Topic: Playoff Regulations  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Ray

Re: Playoff Regulations
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Random would be delighted by that. :)

Chicken, that would not complicate the website at all.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Ray, not just Random, but all the other highly skilled players who lose out because they have a few bad games, or veteran wormers who are really good allround who are trying to catch up, even for the average player I think my system would help everyone.

Like for example, If a noob plays a noob, they won't get alot of points, if an average player beats an average player, they will get a decent amount of points, if a highly skilled player beats another highly skilled player, who is say, 50th in the league, they would still get a decent amount of points, but if they lost, they wouldn't lose a ridiculous amount of points.

But I don't even know if a system like this is possible, I am no programmer lol

Offline Rok

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 02:22 PM »

Ray, not just Random, but all the other highly skilled players who lose out because they have a few bad games, or veteran wormers who are really good allround who are trying to catch up, even for the average player I think my system would help everyone.

Like for example, If a noob plays a noob, they won't get alot of points, if an average player beats an average player, they will get a decent amount of points, if a highly skilled player beats another highly skilled player, who is say, 50th in the league, they would still get a decent amount of points, but if they lost, they wouldn't lose a ridiculous amount of points.

But I don't even know if a system like this is possible, I am no programmer lol

It's easy to programm a system like that. Things is, it already works like this. You've surely noticed that you're getting less and less points for winning bngs since your rating increases (and represents your skill at the same time). You'll get good points for beating Chicken23 (3rd best bng rating) but only few points for beating someone with 5-30 record.
I think many players still don't realize that rating REPRESENTS YOUR SKILL compared to other players. Someone's rating may not reflect certain skill precisely, that's because we don't have a league in which everybody plays same amount of games against similary skilled (or say similarly rated) players.

Imagine this: komo wins 5 games vs chicken23 and gets 40 points for each win which equals 200 points. His rating is now 1200, fine. Now I play 15 games vs players who can't bng, gain 15 points for each and my rating is 1225. Ratings are telling us I'm better bnger, but we all how true that is :) You see how the amount of games affects the ratings. How can we counterfeit this? We can limit the amount of games each player can play in a season, but that's bad for the league, IMHO. We'll have to live with it.

I like the idea of 16 playoffs spots.

How about making a point system that takes into account someone's win percentage and/or their win percentage against higher ranked players which would be different than someone who had a high win % against lower ranked players.

If this is even possible?

Possible, of course, lol. I don't know, I haven't thinked much about this. One more thing popped in my mind just now: since players play different amount of games, we can compare average points per game. (that's would propably be useful only for seasonal standings). That's just an idea, however.

One thing should be changed, IMO. With current 70 games minimun for playoffs, there need to be a lower limit of games with same player per season. Currently the limit is 15, that means someone can qualify for playoffs by playing with only 5 different players. Doesn't make much sense, IMO.
chakkman> if rok was a girl i d marry the bitch lolz

Offline darKz

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Was this thread good for anything?
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Sure, we'll alter PO for the next season :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Could you please summarize what the changes will be then?

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Yea, there was sevral suggestions!
16 places? Or still 8 and six overall and two seaosnal?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 05:43 PM »
16 places.

However still not sure about 10/6 or 12/4.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 05:54 PM »
And how about the winning percentage for each scheme? Reason is, this league is supposed to be all-round, right? So I think those performances are eligible for a PO that include a minimum knowledge of each scheme, like 50%, or maybe more? 55-60% for each scheme and 70% in overall?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 06:35 PM »
50% discussion is good. I've seen it works fine. Because some people simply avoid good players and have a 80% winning percentage while some others play everyone and have lower.

If someone is NOT all rounder, they gain less and less points in a particular scheme and it makes it harder to go up in the standings so that has a same effect.

Offline Ray

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Actually, no, because that would make it impossible for freshly registered but good players in one scheme to go to the PO. Make a poll about that, please, I believe it would be great to implement.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Agreed. I could potentially have higher than 50% winning ratio in every scheme expect ttrr and wxw. Just because i lack speed in my roping doesnt mean im not a good enough allrounder to make playoffs when im able to be a contender in defaults, bng, hysteria and league style roper + shopper.

The point system works well for the schemes you play. Also MI is correct about 50%. Some players play more games against highly skilled players.

What is the case for clan league playoffs?? I don't think you need to increase the number of places. Still keep it at 2/2? or 3/1? I don't think there is as much of a problem in the clan league as singles because fewer clans playing.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Actually, no, because that would make it impossible for freshly registered but good players in one scheme to go to the PO. Make a poll about that, please, I believe it would be great to implement.

I don't think thats the case anyway Ray. With the point system if you take a player which is highly good in one scheme but not as good in the majority of schemes then they will be getting 1-1 in almost all their tus games. They'll soon stop getting many points at all as their rating improves for that good scheme of theirs. They will need to have 2-0's to gain enough seasonal points in the first place to make playoffs.

Take komodo for example, his bng rating is awesome for his first season but you'll see from his stats hes prefectly capible of winning ropers, rrs, elites. He hasn't gone with 1-1's all season to get a playoff spot.

Offline Ray

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Well, yes, I think you guys are right. :)