Forums
May 08, 2024, 05:48 AM

Author Topic: W.A on Linux with the new patch!  (Read 1937 times)

Offline mirux

W.A on Linux with the new patch!
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Anyone is running W.A under Linux with the new patch? Any performance improvements?

Offline nino

Re: W.A on Linux with the new patch!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:09 PM »
iam going to try it soon mir, on ubuntu, but once i heard theres a kernel that works better that other, but i dunno which one.
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline mirux

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Oh, okay nino. Let me know. I installed ubuntu on my girlfriend's laptop the other day, and it is so sweet It made me want to install it on my laptop. ;p

Although, the only but is W.A.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22 PM »
my god.. we're speaking about linux not ubuntu.. erk.

Offline nino

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:07 AM »
iam saying ill try to use it on ubuntu man, if u want use it  on fedora, or w/e doesnot matter, i was just saying id try on ubuntu, ok? lol

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:29 AM »
I need WA on fedora, so I can play at work  :P

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 06:57 AM »
well basically it's the same. You use wine/cedega/crossover but dudes do not use ubuntu it's the worst linux distrib :X

Offline nino

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55 PM »
ubuntu for me looks like the vista of linux xD,  it is just made for peoples who has fear of linux and then give a try using ubuntu and dont feel so weird cos of the graphic, but well i dunno why it is shit tho, it seems nice for me like others dist.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42 PM »
let me tell you quickly:
1)ubuntu has toon of toon of toon of prog that you do not use => some people complaint that it's slower than XP !
2) Official update can f@#! up your OS (I did f@#! up two coomputer using stable update !!).
3)sudo=bad ! Moreover, sometime whith some cash memory you don't even have to write the pw !

Depending on what usage you want you have different distribution but ubuntu is just shit ...

Offline nino

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31 PM »
ye, this thing of toon and toon of toon of programs you dont use, i realised that, thats why i said it seems to be vista hehe.

and about the sudo hmm ye i dunno why ubuntu has this shit, others dist uses just su, porra it!

Offline chakkman

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:36 PM »
let me tell you quickly:
1)ubuntu has toon of toon of toon of prog that you do not use => some people complaint that it's slower than XP !
2) Official update can f@#! up your OS (I did f@#! up two coomputer using stable update !!).
3)sudo=bad ! Moreover, sometime whith some cash memory you don't even have to write the pw !

Depending on what usage you want you have different distribution but ubuntu is just shit ...
Hm, to point 1 i just can say that Win XP is from 2001 and if you're using the latest Ubuntu it's from 2010. So no wonder that it is a bit slower in performance than an almost 10 year old OS. ;) Still owns Vista and 7 hands on in performance though. Point 2 never happened to me, updating is rock solid imo. Point 3 i can't confirm also, never had a problem with it, not sure what you mean though.^^ Actually imo Ubuntu is one of the best linux distros, i tried OpenSuse and Mandriva too but both sucked big time compared, especially the package system of OpenSuse was a total pain in the ass...

Anyway, i will buy w:a original from ebay soon to try out how it's working on Linux. I read about many problems, last timne i tried it i had some weird bug where i wasn't able to shoot 100% power zook, it always stopped at about 30% although i pressed space long. There is some workaround for that though as i read, has something to do with w:a running in windowed mode. Just wonder if i should run it with wine or if i should use lookias play worms on w:a wrapper...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:39 PM by chakkman »

Offline nino

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 05:50 PM »
do u guys think this might work fine on slackware?

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 06:32 PM »
let me tell you quickly:

Hm, to point 1 i just can say that Win XP is from 2001 and if you're using the latest Ubuntu it's from 2010. So no wonder that it is a bit slower in performance than an almost 10 year old OS. ;) Still owns Vista and 7 hands on in performance though. Point 2 never happened to me, updating is rock solid imo. Point 3 i can't confirm also, never had a problem with it, not sure what you mean though.^^ Actually imo Ubuntu is one of the best linux distros, i tried OpenSuse and Mandriva too but both sucked big time compared, especially the package system of OpenSuse was a total pain in the ass...
Well, I disagree with you chakk on this :P.
You're on linux not windows things are totally different :P.
About point 1. This is just going against my view of linux. You do not get a distrib with ton of things that you do not use. You install what you need :p. Start from scratch and get a clean distrib :).
Try debian, if you're a beginner you mostly won't see any change with ubuntu exept there is not 1000 premade software and this distrib is really fast ! OpenSuse is just like ubuntu with 1 trillion of useless software. Moreover, since it's all open you won't have the driver for your gfx and if you get the official one and not the open one (which is mostly for all gfx exept yours xD) you just betray opensuse belief :p.
There's ton of good very light distrib. Lastly I'm using ArchLinux.. I love pacman ! Always the lastest software, clean installation but this distrib is not so easy to use for beginner.
About point two, well it happen because ubuntu give you impair kernel which are the non stable one in the official update. Two of my friend had the same problem :X.
About point three. I remember sometimes when I was using sudo and close the prompt command and then just reopen it and do a sudo action it wasn't asking for my password. This mean, if I'm on my laptop do some installation using sudo and then go get a cafe someone can come on my computer and erase everything for example ! :o.
I've never used slackware but if wine works there's no reason WA would not work. I was playing on linux like one year ago and I had no problem at all. Exept some vv small rope lagg but it never really was a bothering in proper or rr.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 07:05 PM »

About point three. I remember sometimes when I was using sudo and close the prompt command and then just reopen it and do a sudo action it wasn't asking for my password. This mean, if I'm on my laptop do some installation using sudo and then go get a cafe someone can come on my computer and erase everything for example ! :o.
That's actually a feature, not a bug. I think you can even set this up somewhere, activate or de-activate it or set the time how long it should "remember" your logged in as super user. By default it is gone after like a couple of minutes.
To the kernel thing i can only say that i never ever had a problem with kernels/updates and i'm using Ubuntu since version 7.04. Maybe you and your friends just had bad luck or tried something which you shouldn't do? Oh and Ubuntu doesn't install unstable kernel versions... that's simply wrong. Read something about kernel versions and subversions on the internet, the version numbers tell you if it is a stable or unstable kernel version.

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Ubuntu does not have tonns of programs and features, it offers you tonns of programs and features for free.

I don't even have a separate partition for Ubuntu, I run it on NTFS and in performance it beats Windows 7 64bit. Although it's true that sometimes updates tend to break it for some people, happened with my schoolmate.

Ubuntu is great, 10.10 at least. It's just great.