Forums
May 22, 2024, 01:09 AM

Author Topic: W.A on Linux with the new patch!  (Read 1958 times)

Re: W.A on Linux with the new patch!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I've been using ubuntu from edgy to karmic.
I was so sure to have a kernel 2.x.y with x impair but that's not true. My bad sorry :p.
I know what you mean about this feature but what I mean is the problem is that by default you have it.
My problem appear on both computer when I installed a new kernel (well just did a basic apt-get upgrade).
It killed my DKMS tree and to restore it. It's just pain in the ass so I gave up with ubuntu.
I used to like ubuntu a lot. But during the time I was using it I saw more and more software coming from the basic installation and more and more time to start my lovely linux :(.
That's why I changed and now I can't come back :p.
EDIT@Ray: Well it's just my point of view and it's nice to argue about it :). I think that it's better to install software rather than uninstall. Feels like mor clean :).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:30 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline nino

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Ray u running ubuntu in a ntfs partition?  :o
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Well Fada, Ubuntu is the access into the linux world for many people and so of course they put quite an amount of software into the basic installation so that ppl get to know what is available and stuff like that. I have to agree though that the progs that come with it are not really good often and there are much better alternatives... shouldn't affect the startup time though as there are only very basic processes started on system startup. But of course with Debian you have total control of what is installed on your comp, which processes are running and stuff like that. :) Would be too much work though for me, i'm more of a "install and run the OS" type. :)

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Yep I agree with you. Ubuntu was really great to understand linux. I am really happy there's such a distribution. On my installation ubuntu was starting lot of useless deamon but maybe it was my first installation that was too full.
Anyways are you Gnome or KDE ?
I'm gnome since the beginning ! :p
Though I'm always like if there's something that does the same and use less ressources it's better :p. That's why I really like fluxbox as windows management.
Does anyone ever tryied DSL (damn small linux) ? I really love it ! So so fast and use so so little ressource :)

Offline mirux

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I am about to install Worms Armageddon on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 x64.

Offline mirux

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 12:41 AM »
Well,

Worms runs good, almost as smooth as in windows when you disable compiz, but.. sound gotta run under ALSA Emulation, and that sucks because, even though it still sounds okay, it's not perfect.

If you are willing to sacrifice details on your WA performance to use Linux, then go ahead.

There are workarounds to disable compiz before start WA, and then when you close WA, re-enable compiz.