Forums
May 14, 2024, 08:55 AM

Author Topic: Why is losing punished with points?  (Read 4016 times)

Offline TheKomodo

Re: Why is losing punished with points?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Well the way I figured it'd work would be each player has an individual rating for each scheme, when you pair someone with say 1000 and someone with 1200 together it's like 1100.

Offline avirex

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 03:12 PM »
see statik, that bring up another point....

it brings up a problem to catch the best clan team, but then also an incentive.

as it is now, (im not saying all clans) most clans avoid the hell out of Mablak, if they see mab in AG... they dont wanna clanner dt... and i dont blame them... why the hell do they wanna ttrr clanner vs mab and statik, when they can just wait for mablak to leave and ttrr vs avirex and statik for the same amount of points??

and statik, your clans overall is whatever it adds up to....

what changes??? except that your going to earn less points with a win with mablak on your team, then you will with nino on your team....

and if it me and nino ttrr'ing then we are not going to lose all of yours and mablaks earned points...    overall is not going to be affected

Offline Peja

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 03:31 PM »
and how you want to do this? i mean how you want to catch the skill of an individual player? by the points he earned in current season? let me give you an funny example:

ttrr aef:

1st: kyho +148
2nd barman +47
3rd Peja +40

do you really think this is in any way a more accurate method? if you go for overall points in clanners it doesnt make it better. imagine i would go back to tdc when i became uber pro and still all my previous loses would affect overall points.sounds like a huge mess. another way would be using results from singles but that would be just stupid.

i guess you guys are trying to solve the problem from the wrong end. what about a system like beeing used in onl? if you lose a bng to barman there while he is low ranked your points will be adjusted during the season in relation to his performance in the league.
VoK: i have now beer so my rope will be perfect.
 VoK: will do ttrr every map under 30s

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 03:36 PM »
That isn't how it would work Peja.

It would recognise overall individual players games, not how many points they won for the clan during a season, if a player changes/swaps clans, they keep their rating.

Unrelated -  Also remember kyho has been in AeF for longer than barman, in 1 month this would be different I assume.

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 03:38 PM »
You don't even play singles/clanners

That has absolutely no bearing on understanding league ratings and all that. I also play chess, so that should make me an expert on rating systems if I follow your reasoning.

All your judgment implies that players/clans have a wide choice of opponents and play many games with each other. But the reality is different. Some clans and players don't even meet each other during a season. I don't remember if dt played vs BFW the previous season, so our first meet was in POs lol...

The example I mentioned works if you have 500.000 possible opponents and if you have 2 possible opponents. They are statistics. Their accuracy improves the more games are played, regardless of whom you play against.

At any rate, for playoffs, qualification depends on your seasonal rating, not your overall rating. The only effect not having your top players in the clan is that your seasonal rating will reach its plateau sooner. The overall rating has only one purpose: to display your actual strength. The rest is just your pride, but league mechanics shouldn't care one bit about pride.

Offline Peja

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 03:43 PM »

It would recognise overall individual players games, not how many points they won for the clan during a season, if a player changes/swaps clans, they keep their rating.

Unrelated -  Also remember kyho has been in AeF for longer than barman, in 1 month this would be different I assume.

if its that way lets change it today, guess im the player with the most lost points in clanners in the history of tus. but i already see statik or avirex opening another cry topic if they lose a elite vs aef ;D
so once again how you want to do it?

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Lol Peja, I didn't open this topic, I would never open it cuz I don't pay much attention to points. But since it's already open, I feel like adding 2 cents here... I use my own example and dt example simply because it's easier. It would be strange if I would  talk about other clan. But I already made some examples about other players.

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Yeah but you do make a good point statik, it's exactly how I felt when I was in cFc, moaning about the BnG points, we all know how that went down :D

Offline avirex

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 04:05 PM »

if its that way lets change it today, guess im the player with the most lost points in clanners in the history of tus. but i already see statik or avirex opening another cry topic if they lose a elite vs aef ;D
so once again how you want to do it?

are you an idiot peja???? wtf is your little example about showing kyho has more points then barman, who has been in the clan less then a week... pretty stupid..

and me and statik are not crying... we are just raising points that should be discussed (we are both talking about 2 different things fyi)

i guess statik felt the same way i did, and thought it would be best to use his personal traits, and clan as an example... it would be rude to say things like...

"peja sucks, and now barman and komo are in the clan playing great bng games... it would not be fair to sweep in and own the newb peja and earn the same amount of points as it would to beat komo and barman"

can you understand that statement better peja?

Offline Peja

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27 PM »
its a risk well taken by recruitment. im just trying to show that your idea basicly sounds nice but theres no way to transfer it working into reality. or did i miss any point concept you have already given which isnt flawed by the past of the players? besides the logical fact it would just make stats for a team complete absurd if you consider every single player different. maybe this is the main reason why it is common to do it that way.

Offline avirex

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 04:44 PM »
the stats for the clan is going to be the same...

but each individual pair is going to be different....  komo said it best, if (i will use my clan as example, not to cry, but to be fair not to put other people skill level down) if my skill is say 1000, and mablaks is 2000, when we play as a team our skill will be 1500... it makes sense in every possible way.....   

i dont see how u fail to see this...

yeah, your at risk for recruiting good players as the league stands... does that make sense???

let me give one more example of how this system is flawed... CF has very high overall ratings, im not taking any thing from anyone in the clan, they are all great.. but at their peak of clanner activity, random00 was the most active in the clan...by far... so, it was pretty easy for them to gain, and keep points...

dt is nowhere in the comparison for overall skill level because our best members are not as active... should we be punished?? if mablak comes online and wins 5 games for us, should we be punish all those points just in one loss as soon as he leaves?? i dont think so.... i guess you do?? wheres your logic my friend?

Offline Peja

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 04:55 PM »
we talk about overall points right? so you suggest each player gets an overall rating based in on all games he has played so far on tus in clanners for each scheme? or how the f@#! do you come to your numbers lol.

Offline avirex

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 05:04 PM »
yes, each player gets a rating based on his TUS clan league performers, that was a very good assumption peja... gj

Offline Peja

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 06:15 PM »
kk get it. Clan Overall Rating should be based on individual player stats instead of stats of the clan.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Yeah Peja, the clans overall rating will be the average of the individual players ratings. Seems fair to me :)