Forums
May 05, 2024, 10:44 AM

Author Topic: WN suggestion  (Read 1081 times)

WN suggestion
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Hey,
I have been on the T17 forum lately (thanks for crazy spam in the shoutbox) :D.
And I saw someone saying this:
However, the way you've made your point helps my point about old-time/competitive/hardcore players in comparison to new players.

I already knew about all those leagues/clans/tourneys. But I didn't find them just by booting up the game and entering Anything Goes, which is the method by which most new players will first experience WA online.

Since tus 2.0 will be release pretty soon wouldn't it be possible to have some improvement from WN to advertise league games ?
Maybe a new channel #league where you will need some code or use hosting buddy when you host a game (example: [LeagueName][Picker][Scheme]) and it will automatically send the replay to the website and you will only have to confirm it when you go to the website... or a more complex API to interact with wn for MI and other league admin or a new patch with more elaborated stuff (in wow you can just say I want an arena game and it seeks for you an opponant of your level if possible)...

One change at a time but since things are changing maybe it's nice to start to think of the next steps :)

Offline Ray

Re: WN suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:14 PM »
I am not sure if that really is a good idea, in terms of community segregation - as mentioned in that very same topic we have been reading on the Team17 forums. :)

That would most likely lead to newcomers being even more confused of the whole idea of competitions rather than getting closer to it and more familiar with it.

Besides, WormNET is completely different from TUS, that would have to be developed by the ones developing the frontend of WormNET, which will be coded with 4.0 patch and won't be touched sooner, unless some agreement is settled between MonkeyIsland and CyberShadow, which I highly doubt, but who knows.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25 PM »
I am not sure if that really is a good idea, in terms of community segregation - as mentioned in that very same topic we have been reading on the Team17 forums. :)

That would most likely lead to newcomers being even more confused of the whole idea of competitions rather than getting closer to it and more familiar with it.

Besides, WormNET is completely different from TUS, that would have to be developed by the ones developing the frontend of WormNET, which will be coded with 4.0 patch and won't be touched sooner, unless some agreement is settled between MonkeyIsland and CyberShadow, which I highly doubt, but who knows.
Yes that is true. And what about doing that on snooper ? Not that hard for single or clanner to code and it could be sync with a page on tus "who is looking for league game at the moment".

Edit: I think it would be a better way to find a league game rather than spamming in ag :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:27 PM by zippeurfou »

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Well, this topic has come up a lot of times in the past, due to people being pissed off by avoiders and other reasons as well, that's just the one I remember from the top of my head.

I cannot find these topics, but there have been plenty of pros and cons and either TUS decided not to implement such feature(s) or the discussion wore out, I don't remember honestly.

Offline avirex

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 05:06 AM »
its a good idea...                     

anyone can see that.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I gave lots of thought to the idea of league automation with the current WNet over the last couple of years. What you're saying Fada requires the help of CS/DC and the consent of Team17.

It could be done without the consent of Team17 and I have that already worked out in my head (it requires a TUS snooper client to handle secure logins*, a TUS hostingbuddy and most importantly, a replay parser. With all this, you can just open the official TUS snooper, and from it, find a game and play it (all from the client). Once the game is finished, it gets auto reported to the TUS website.

Yes, it can be done right now but it's a lot of work for what it really achieves. Think about it, if all this was done, what would be the actual benefit? Not having to come to the website to report a game? Sure it's a quality of life improvement, but MI will see it as less traffic and it's not really that big of a hassle the 30 seconds it takes to report a game as things stand right now, is it?

*you can handle secure logins just with the bot but it's a hassle from the user's point of view, since they would have to PM their passwords every time they left the channel to join a game and came back whilst the "snooper" stays logged even after you play

MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I gave lots of thought to the idea of league automation with the current WNet over the last couple of years. What you're saying Fada requires the help of CS/DC and the consent of Team17.

It could be done without the consent of Team17 and I have that already worked out in my head (it requires a TUS snooper client to handle secure logins*, a TUS hostingbuddy and most importantly, a replay parser. With all this, you can just open the official TUS snooper, and from it, find a game and play it (all from the client). Once the game is finished, it gets auto reported to the TUS website.

Yes, it can be done right now but it's a lot of work for what it really achieves. Think about it, if all this was done, what would be the actual benefit? Not having to come to the website to report a game? Sure it's a quality of life improvement, but MI will see it as less traffic and it's not really that big of a hassle the 30 seconds it takes to report a game as things stand right now, is it?

*you can handle secure logins just with the bot but it's a hassle from the user's point of view, since they would have to PM their passwords every time they left the channel to join a game and came back whilst the "snooper" stays logged even after you play

Yes, I agree with you. At the end it is not a nice gift for tus.
What about a snooper where you must log in with your tus log in (as you can do with wheat snooper but this time mandatory). And where you have some tickle that say "I am looking for a classic league game", "I am looking for a trl game", "I am looking for a clanner game" (who could also be put in the tus 2.0 website for sync). It will then do random matching if there is more than one person looking for a type of league game. If one of the player refuse to play (which mean avoid), there will be an autowin for the opponant.
For the last part that's an idea (like in wow arena) but it could be something else, it could be after 3 avoid you get suspended from league till the end of the season.. or we could get some sportship point (somehow like karma) and everyone can see who is avoider (and shh shaame on himm :D), or finally everything I said combined:
If you avoid: free win for the opponant, if you avoid 3 time: suspended from the season, and a global sportship point...

No auto report (except for the avoiding games), so it doesn't kill tus traffic.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:09 AM by zippeurfou »

Offline darKz

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:06 AM »
ropa, this idea seems familiar. Can't say why. :D
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Just for an update...
Here is what I think when I see the menu on the left:
Hey, zippeurfou!
Moderate => Never used it
Profile => could be put when I click on zippeurfou
My Messages => could be mixed when I click on zippeurfou and get the number near me.
Members => Never used it.
Forums and Posts => A bit useless for the post and add confusion imo. I bet almost nobody read all unread post
Groups => Same menu as the upper one, different usage. Good way to get lost :x. Could be added to moderate.
Leagues=> Same thing.
Cups=> Same
Tournaments=>Same.
Pending games => I got no pending game I find it useless here
Challenges => never used it
Maps=> never used  it
Schemes=> never used it
Files=> never used it
Logout=> usefull

It is my user experience but I think it is most of your case also. Correct me if i am wrong.
Here is a suggestion who would fit better imo:

All thing with a star means I am not sure they should be here because we almost never use it.

hey, zippeurfou[unreadPM][Pendinggames]  ------- Read my messages*
                                                                                Edit your profile
                                                                                Look and layout*
                                                                                Account Settings*

Colors of unreadPM and pending games should be different. When you have 0 you can pick to show it (and then the "read my messages" menu is useless) or hide it. I'd rather show it. When you click on "zippeurfou" you go to my profile.

Moderate*--------- Group you moderate

You have this menu only if you are a moderator of something.

Toolbox*-----------   Start a New Tournament
                              Start a New Cup
                              Upload a file
                              Upload a scheme

You won't do it often, that's why I am not sure it is usefull.

Look for a game ---- [ x ]Clanner
                                [ x ]Single Tus Classic
                                [ x ]Single Tus Free*
                                [ x ]Single Trl*

This are tickbox where you can tick or untick what you are looking for. I am not sure the global activity would need to have all the single league seperated. I'd rather see Clanner or Single.

People searching for a game [clannerNumber][SingleTUSclassicNumber][SingleTusFreeNumber]*[SingleTRLNumber]*

Same as above, I'd rather see [ClannerNumber][SingleNumber]. Once Again different colors. When you click on one of these it show you the people/clan and by clicking on it the people/clan get a sort of IM saying XXX challenge you (you could even add special note when you challenge, ex: "default clanner only" or "TRL or Free only") and you can tick yes  or no. You got a timear with automatically no after X second to avoid no answer. If it is a yes, both people are not anymore in the list. You can see, the number of no/yes/afk of each person in stat so it shows if they avoid..../

Report a game

Analyzer

Logout

To sum up here is the menu how I see:

hey, zippeurfou[unreadPM][Pendinggames]  ------- Read my messages*
                                                                                Edit your profile
                                                                                Look and layout*
                                                                                Account Settings*

Toolbox*-----------   Start a New Tournament
                              Start a New Cup
                              Upload a file
                              Upload a scheme

[ x ]Single Tus Classic
                                [ x ]Single Tus Free*
                                [ x ]Single Trl*

People searching for a game [clannerNumber][SingleTUSclassicNumber][SingleTusFreeNumber]*[SingleTRLNumber]*
Report a game
Analyzer
Logout

If you remove the stars here is how I like it :). Minimalist but good imo :p.

hey, zippeurfou[unreadPM][Pendinggames]  ------- Edit your profile
                                [ x ]Single

People searching for a game [clannerNumber][SingleNumber]
Report a game
Analyzer
Logout

This is my input. Feel free to say it's bullshit :D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:53 AM by zippeurfou »