Forums
April 26, 2024, 06:47 AM

Author Topic: [Idea] Including IRC/Twitch Chat ingame  (Read 931 times)

Offline Urben

[Idea] Including IRC/Twitch Chat ingame
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:27 AM »
Heya people,

I am a bit unsure where to post this, I registered on TUS for this topic and guess this is a good place for it. Feel free to move it elsewhere, mods!  ::)
(where can new users introduce themselves?)

To the topic, I play Worms since WWP came out and since then have my phases to play WA from time to time. I think about playing it on Twitch with other people I know from there and a community of another game.

I got the idea that it would be quite nice to have access to the Twitch chat ingame. I never used WormKits, but I guess it is what I would need for it.

This is the idea:

The Twitch channel chat can be seen as an IRC. The Twitch channel hoster (aka the guy who streams) has a script running which checks for new messages. A message includes the Nickname of the person who writes the message, and the message text itself.
This string then is pasted ingame as /anon User: Hello!
An additional feature should be that chat messages which are recieved while the hoster is in the lobby are saved and pasted once the game has started.
If a player writes a message ingame, it should be pasted in the IRC/Twitch chat by the host (or better a chatbot) without starting an endless loop.

With this thing other players can see the Twitch chat and communicate with the people there.
Would you like that?
Can you tell me if this is possible to script?
Even if it is a singleplayer game?
Where can I find some references to WormKit because it would be my first (useful) programming project.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:31 AM by Urben »

Offline h3oCharles

Re: [Idea] Including IRC/Twitch Chat ingame
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Isn't just having a 2nd monitor pulled up to the twitch chat the easier solution? And what about replay files? I get that you're referencing Minecraft's onboard streaming capabilities here, but what about switching between writing on your Twitch chat and writing to the game chat?

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:02 PM »
considering that the stream is typically far behind the actual game, it'd suck to chat with these delays

Where can I find some references to WormKit because it would be my first (useful) programming project.
https://worms2d.info/WormKit
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline Urben

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Isn't just having a 2nd monitor pulled up to the twitch chat the easier solution?
Easier than what? Programming that? For sure. But I guess once it's made it is easier to communicate with the external chat for all other players who have that chat not open seperatley. Using the ingame chat wouldn't be a dividing thing too then. I am not sure what problem there would be with replay files, aren't the messages saved there too?

I get that you're referencing Minecraft's onboard streaming capabilities here, but what about switching between writing on your Twitch chat and writing to the game chat?
I dont know the Minecraft chat tbh. If I decide to write in the Twitch chat, the script recognizes it as a regular message and still posts it into the ingame chat. If I post ingame instead, it does the same with forwarding it into the Twitch chat. The script only recognizes it's own messages and ignores them so it is not starting to loop. That is the plan.

considering that the stream is typically far behind the actual game, it'd suck to chat with these delays
Yeah but (sadly) that is what Twitch users are used to anyway. If I use a second monitor and chat there instead it still is the same problem. The good thing is that if Twitch is enhancing the latency some day, my idea should be instantly faster then, too.

https://worms2d.info/WormKit

Ive found that one, I hoped to find something better. :D Guess I will download some source codes then and try to get an insight on how that works.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:01 PM by Urben »

Offline StepS

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 07:08 PM »
I had this exact same idea a while ago. I'm only not sure if I can spend any time on this in the near future.
It shouldn't be very difficult to make a WormKit module with a miniaturized IRC client that integrates with the in-game chat. Like you said, Twitch uses IRC, so not only would you be able to interact with the chat on the website, you could also connect to a third-party IRC such as WormNET or GameSurge, and transmit messages directly from/to the in-game chat.
I currently have quite a bunch of things queued so I'm not sure when I can start, but consider that I've reviewed your request.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Urben

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:07 AM »
Thats good to hear, thanks! I currently try to learn what it takes to make that project, but the learning curve is quite high. If you happen to work on it yourself, I would be glad! :D