Forums
May 07, 2024, 07:38 AM

Author Topic: criticism of worms olympics  (Read 3618 times)

Re: criticism of worms olympics
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 04:07 PM »
That explains some of your posts, Komo ;D

Your main criticism appears to be on the way the final standings are calculated then, melbo. That's a fair point to criticise. Problem is - how would you solve it?
One idea would be to let the person with the best average result win. Then skill would be rewarded, as you put it. But what if I join a CDRW tourney (because let's face it, with my current skill level, that's probably the only tourney I could win now other than maybe bungee if I warmed up) and win that tourney and then not play another tournament.
Now, my average result is winning a tournament, which is better than anyone else, because everybody also played other tournaments. Doesn't seem like this would solve the problem and I can see the complaints coming already from people who play a lot, win a lot, but can't beat that one guy who only won one tourney and played only one.
Another suggestion would be to only count medals towards the score. I can tell you that medals already determine most of the score people currently have, so you'll have the same problem as with the current system.

Another possibility would be to just play the tournaments you like and not even look at the score. That's what most people do anyway. WO was never meant to be a hardcore league (in fact, back when FFie and I were still involved we always did our best to annoy people who tried anything to get more points, like aliasing, fixing pairings and such by giving them penalties at the end), but if people care about getting most points (with fair play), why deny them that?