Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:30 PM

Author Topic: Crate Before Attack - New Shopper Game  (Read 6040 times)

Offline koalefant

Re: Crate Before Attack - New Shopper Game
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32 PM »
A little sneap-peak of what is coming next :)
Working on a Shopper-inspired game about frogs: https://CrateBeforeAttack.com

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2020, 07:59 AM »
I've seen this before... Sarah Connor would disapprove...  :D

Looks good!

Offline koalefant

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 01:54 AM »
Hi, another update is up:
  • PNG maps: dramatically reduced memory usage, 8-bit images are not expanded to full color anymore, upscaling is done in the shader. E.g. Pizza map went down from 1.9GB to 140MB in memory;
  • Added zoom, helps to navigate large racing maps;
  • Enabled AI in racing mode (only local games at the moment);
  • Fixed mines not being affected by explosions;
  • Fixed jumps mid-air;
  • Fixed incorrect orientation of dynamite pack;
  • Fixed turn/arrow indicator appearing when no input is taken;

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 11:21 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:43 AM by Rudolf289 »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Race mode is amazing. The AI is already godly at roping.. you'll probably want to add a dumber one for noobs. AFAIK there has NEVER been an AI that can rope before - very impressive. The game handled my .png map flawlessly, and the start/end position and turntime counting features are wonderful. Love the ghost and zoom features. Still getting used to the physics but they are pretty intuitive - glad you reversed the upside-down extend direction.

For long races, I recommend adding the ability to create checkpoints

You could add a "practice" mode/checkbox where if the frog drowns during a race, he gets teleported back to the last checkpoint. (Similar to WA's "antisink")

After a race ends where the player successfully reaches the finish line, it might be good to ask "do you want to share this map and your ghost online for others? I certify that I own the required copyrights etc".  Then we could race against other people's ghosts, have things like a leaderboard, daily featured map challenge, etc, even if nobody else is online. Asking after the game would help ensure map quality, correct start/end/checkpoint placements, and overall playable/bug-free.

It's really incredible what you've accomplished in such a seemingly short time..  keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:19 PM by j0e »

Offline koalefant

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2020, 10:54 PM »
I just feel intoxicated by the update being received so well! ::)

Thank you for your feedback! :D

Why did you call it "Broken AI" though?
I feel like it is still hectic and motion is far from being smooth. I want it to be more elegant and relaxed...  8)

The current race mode has unlimited turn timer which is nice and should definitely remain for smaller maps, but for large maps there needs to be a turn based mode (30 or 40 seconds long perhaps?).
That is an elegant solution to long waiting time in a Race, noted!  :)

I've actually gotten used to the controls now and have no complaints aside from, like Anubis said, shadows are "reversed".
I don't understand it exactly what is the difference yet, but I will investigate this...

Anyway, here's a couple map generator programs you may be interested in (from a programming standpoint):
Thank you for the links, these are awesome tools, I will look into this topic. :)

The AI is already godly at roping.. you'll probably want to add a dumber one for noobs.
Good idea, I will finish Shopper-support, do some polish and then look into adding difficulty settings.

For long races, I recommend adding the ability to create checkpoints
That would be a nice addition. I bet it will soothe the pain of losing your worm in the middle of a long run!  :'(

After a race ends where the player successfully reaches the finish line, it might be good to ask "do you want to share this map and your ghost online for others? I certify that I own the required copyrights etc".
I had an automated leaderboard in mind, but this would be even better, would ensure consistency as people could contend a race just by clicking on a previous result. I love it!  ;D

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 12:16 AM »
Incredible progress, t17 never figured out how to make worms AI rope even, lol

Offline Senator

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 07:43 AM »
I still don't like how the frog jumps after releasing the tongue if you are holding down/up arrow key. Is it just me?

also, you can't do power spikes! To me it feels like the roping/tonguing is more limited compared to WA.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:56 AM by Senator »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2020, 05:51 PM »
I still don't like how the frog jumps after releasing the tongue if you are holding down/up arrow key. Is it just me?

also, you can't do power spikes! To me it feels like the roping/tonguing is more limited compared to WA.
Can't really say that I like it, but can probably get used to it. It's the thing that makes this Frogs, not Worms. Wouldn't mind an option to turn it off though. Overall the roping is really good.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Lol, Team17 should hire this guy.  :-*

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2020, 10:08 PM »
I like how you can tongue while sliding, i always thought worms should be like that to open up more possibilities

Offline koalefant

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2020, 08:59 AM »
In this game you get a weird kick in the direction you are extending when you release the rope. This is apparent when you try to do a shadow.

Can't really say that I like it, but can probably get used to it. It's the thing that makes this Frogs, not Worms. Wouldn't mind an option to turn it off though.

I believed I made progress on this, thanks to help from Syc.

Now when you release the tongue the velocity is projected on the tangent of rotation once again.

This change is in the live build, if you would like to try.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 09:03 AM by koalefant »

Offline koalefant

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 11:37 PM »
I added first level art to the game - Space map:

Offline Lex

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 10:30 AM »
This is insanely cool.  Nice.  I've subscribed to your YouTube channel and I'm looking forward to updates.

Offline Senator

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 02:39 PM »
In this game you get a weird kick in the direction you are extending when you release the rope. This is apparent when you try to do a shadow.

Can't really say that I like it, but can probably get used to it. It's the thing that makes this Frogs, not Worms. Wouldn't mind an option to turn it off though.

I believed I made progress on this, thanks to help from Syc.

Now when you release the tongue the velocity is projected on the tangent of rotation once again.

This change is in the live build, if you would like to try.

Yeah, it feels more familiar now (and better to me). Now you need to find ways to make the game different. :D I wouldn't mind if you could jump while in the air by pressing enter, for example. 'Tonguing' doesn't have to be different, though. It can be something else.