Forums
May 05, 2024, 04:23 AM

Author Topic: Old keyboards  (Read 751 times)

Offline Rabbzz

Old keyboards
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:10 AM »
I have an old keyboard and I'm planning to buy a Mac which will only take a USB keyboard. Do any of those adapters work or even exist?

It's a IBM Rapid access 2 if that helps?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:45 AM by Rabbit »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
Re: Old keyboards
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Google would have answered you a million times faster.

Yes, ps/2 to usb adapters exist and are easy to find.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:45 PM »
I use a macbook pro for worms, my ps/2 adapter did not work for my old compaq kb but I bought a razer tarantula so no problem there
worm and learn

Offline cOke

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Ps/2 adapters don't always work - you have to have an active keyboard or active adapter else it won't work, something like that.

Here's something I found on google, something to consider you may need a "converter" not "adapter" depending on the kb:
Answer: The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires. Simple ps/2 to USB adapters do not use specific software drivers.

In general, most users having trouble connecting their keyboard to newer computers are looking for a ps/2 to USB signal CONVERTER. These devices use an integrated circuit (pre-programmed chip) to actively translate the ps/2 keyboard signal and convert it into a USB keyboard signal.

This allows the vintage ps/2 keyboard to be automatically recognized by the operating system as if it were a standard, modern USB keyboard. A well-designed active ps/2 to USB converter will use the built-in operating system drivers for a USB keyboard (for example in Microsoft Windows XP, kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys).
HNN4EVA