Forums
May 05, 2024, 01:29 AM

Author Topic: Wheat Snooper supports WormNat2 Hosting now  (Read 6168 times)

Offline chakkman

Re: Wheat Snooper supports WormNat2 Hosting now
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I'm not a professional but how could that be possible unless Cybershadow didn't make either Worms or Wormkit not safe towards hacks like that?  :o Not calling you a liar but that sounds pretty weird.

I've posted about this here on the Team17 forums, but I feel I should clarify this.

1. There is little to prevent me or Deadcode from adding a virus which destroys your computer* in W:A Beta updates. (Team17 do a cursory check before publishing them online.)
2. These is nothing to prevent me from adding a virus in the WormKit EXE/DLLs which destroys your computer.
3. There is nothing to prevent Pisto from adding a virus which destroys your computer in RubberWorm.
4. There is nothing to prevent Lookias from adding a virus which destroys your computer in the Wheat Snooper EXE.
5. There is nothing to prevent Kawoosh from adding a virus which destroys your computer in his RubberWorm/KawooshKick/etc. modules.
6. There is nothing to prevent StepS from adding a virus which destroys your computer in his RubberWorm installer.
7. Ultimately, there is nothing to prevent ANYONE from adding a virus which destroys your computer into any software that they wrote and you downloaded. On-line or downloadable virus checkers do not guarantee that any file is "safe".

If you download someone's code from the Internet, you pretty much entrust all the files from your computer to them.  That it can modify any aspect of W:A's programming goes without saying. If you're playing this game, you probably trust me and Deadcode not to do something like that, but I can't speak for anyone else. If you don't trust someone, don't run their software.

* Figuratively, of course, but you get the point. Even without admin privileges, a trojan can still steal all your personal files and passwords, and make the computer unusable without technical intervention.

Not sure what any of those points would have to do with StepS modifying Wormkit to affect another player's gaming experience though. And furthermore, in my naive understanding, i always thought program code is somehow encrypted to prevent people being able to modify it easily. And if that is not possible and you get to hear about people modifying it to abuse it (like happened here) you should have a serious word with the respective person...

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Not sure what any of those points would have to do with StepS modifying Wormkit to affect another player's gaming experience though. And furthermore, in my naive understanding, i always thought program code is somehow encrypted to prevent people being able to modify it easily. And if that is not possible and you get to hear about people modifying it to abuse it (like happened here) you should have a serious word with the respective person...
The ultimate rule is that if a program runs on your computer, you can modify it. We could have invested time and/or money to make W:A hard to mod with DRM-like software, but that would also prevent people from creating WormKit modules and mods such as RubberWorm, ProjectX, etc. Both beneficial and malicious mods work in the same way.

Offline chakkman

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I see. Well, just can hope then that it won't be abused much i guess. :)

Offline Ramone

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I see. Well, just can hope then that it won't be abused much i guess. :)

Or we can at least warn other players (especially newbies) that "not everything that shines is gold"...

U get a thing wrapped in a shiny paper and served on a silver plate, sure that 80% of ppl will bite for it, not everyone knows much things about codes/hacks/computers/etc.. So U get 80% of players which is indirectly controlled by few guys who have imposed that shiny thing.. There's no warranty whatsoever..

So, next to admiring and glorifying it, at least a warning is a thing that anyone can do (as CS did here) - this things can harm your computer..
Sometimes this warnings should be written with red bold text. Sometimes U need to yell if U want anyone to hear U..