Forums
May 02, 2024, 10:47 PM

Author Topic: Worms Scheme Contest 2014  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Balee

Worms Scheme Contest 2014
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:49 AM »
It's this time of the... decade, again. That is, time for Worms Scheme Contest!

In 2010, I thought about a system. It worked out fine, but it wasn't good enough. So this year, things are about to change. We're placing the scheme ratings into the hands of you - the player. You can vote on schemes, you can write about them, criticizing every detail if you so desire, so that ultimately, the community will choose its victor.

If you're new to WSC, you may wonder: "What is this? Why is this? How is this?" Or something like that.
As for the "what" part, it's a contest in which players can make and submit new schemes, and aim for the top. There will be winners, and not-so-winners.
"Why?" Because why not. The WA community is clearly the most creative AND active Worms community, and that results in great maps, schemes, and other things. So why not add a little competitive touch to this creativity, and see what people can come up with if they are trying to impress the playerbase.
And "how"? Well, let me explain the rules then.

For the most part we're using the rules we did in 2010, with a few changes that ended up necessary.

Entry Conditions
- The deadline for sending in your entries is whenever Worm Olympics 2014 starts.
- Maximum two entry per person. Pairs or groups can enter as well, maximum two entry per group. And yes, you can submit a scheme individually, and another in a group, but you can still only submit two.
- The entry can not be modified, once submitted.
- You need to write your application, description, etc. in English.
- The scheme has to be either entirely new, or a new variant of an already existing scheme. In the latter case, the criteria determining the originality of the variant will be stricter than in the case of a newly invented scheme.
- The scheme has to have a name, or in case of a variant, a name that obviously differentiates it from the original, while still showing its connection. (See WFW ยป FFW.)
- The scheme can utilise RubberWorm, but at this point, it can NOT utilise Project X and other, game-modifying, external "applications".

What to Enclose
- Send detailed description of the gameplay, set of rules and corresponding penalties, optimal player/worm numbers (a scheme with several possibilities regarding player count and team games is preferred but not required). A nice setting story can add to the originality factor, but is also not required.
- Give a general map description (ie. random cavern maps, open island maps, Shopper maps), and in case of custom maps being required, enclose at least 1 example map that you believe plays well (doesn't have to be pretty, only functional).
- Enclose at least 1 example replay. The more, the better.

Additional rules may be added as the competition progresses, and while these are probably going to be retroactively applied to already submitted entries, we're going to do everything we can in order to be fair. So no "hey, you submitted this 2 months ago, but now we must tell you that it breaks a newly added rule".

What will happen after you've submitted your entry? Well, until I set the forum up, nothing. I plan to do it before April, as my time permits. But *after* I have it set up, players will be able to register there, and I will add entries as they are submitted. Voting will be disabled until the end of the submission period, but after that, everyone will be able to vote for schemes based on a few factors. These factors aren't decided yet, but here's the list of them from 2010. If anything, these are good indicators of what to expect.
- Scheme file: Everything that has to do with the scheme file itself.
- Game and weapon settings: Balanced armoury, ideal turn and round times, and so on.
- Originality: Well... it's kinda self-explanatory, isn't it?
- Over-all gameplay: Strategic possibilities, rules and punishments, and the like.
- Casual fun: Indicator of how the scheme would work out in non-competitive games.
- Competitive fun: Indicator of how the scheme would work out in competitive games.
This is obviously subject to change.
There will be rules to filter out most fake votes and trolls, but nothing too complicated for you guys. It's mostly gonna be complicated on my end, but hey. :P

So yeah, this is pretty much it for now. Go start writing down concepts and ideas. Don't be shy: even if you think your scheme isn't good, others may - and probably will - think different. ;)

I will post the forum's link as soon as I set it up, as well as the email address to which you can send your submissions.

Until next time, then! :)

Offline philie

Re: Worms Scheme Contest 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:03 AM »
yea! good to hear wsc is coming back!
i'm looking forward to all the new exciting, good, strange and also the crappy schemes.  :D

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Just great. :) I'm curious what the community will come up with this time around.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Nice, but what was wrong with jury the last time? Other than not picking my scheme as the bestest of course...
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Yeah, Balee, what's wrong with the previous jury? ;D

Offline Balee

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I don't know, some guy named DorkOne was being silly about things if I remember correctly.

:P

Seriously, though, it was hard to organise jury games. I don't want to do that anymore.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Why no PX? It's the most untapped source of possibilities by far.

I got a rough idea for a PX scheme: Fastswim obstacle race.

Your worm uses fastswim to launch up and over obstacles. Certain obstacles require low grav, hang glider, parachute, or other creativity. If a user tries to swim past an obstacle, or his worm drowns, or turntime ends, his worm is tele'd back to the last checkpoint and the turn ends.

Played on a long horizontal map.

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08 PM »
PX is pretty old, kludgy and buggy, and completely changes the game? That's what would come to my mind right now as suppositions, anyway.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 10:48 PM »
PX isn't kludgy if your computer can handle it.

The only bug I ever encounter is the weird visual glitch "borders" around certain sprites.

And occasionally the weapon "stealing" will stop working correctly in Highlander.

It's actually pretty mature now with all the stuff that has been developed for it. The Pros far outweigh the Cons IMO. I just wish it had more exposure and players, so this would be a good way to raise some awareness for it!

The contest would also be a good atmosphere for testing the scheme on many different platforms, before the scheme is finalized, to iron any out any unforeseen PX quirks.

I doubt whether any new scheme made for standard W:A will be that groundbreaking.. surely most of the good ideas have been thought of by now? Prove me wrong I guess..

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Nobody is stopping you from doing stuff to promote the possibilities of PX. There's a couple of things you could do - cups and tourneys for example.

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Well, PX inevitably can get to interfere with non-PX gameplay, even if it's "turned off": the bug is detailed on WKB's PX article, I think. Therefore I meant "kludgy" as in it's a real kludge to remove it every time you're going to play non-PX games and then add it again for PX games, because of that.

And that's without mentioning that PX is so gameplay-changing that it sounds like it can't compete with non-PX schemes, imho. Edit: However, what DarkOne said.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:33 PM »
First of all, if you're reinstalling PX and then removing it every time you use it, you're doing it wrong. Simply install 2 copies of W:A -- one with PX and one without.

Secondly, I am too lazy/busy to promote PX myself, aside from random forum posts.

Thirdly:
Quote from: LeTotalKiller
PX is so gameplay-changing that it sounds like it can't compete with non-PX schemes, imho.
it sounds like"??  have you even tried PX? (i think we've played PX together before, so this statement confuses me). how gameplay-changing or not-gameplay-changing PX is depends on the settings used! PX could be enabled just for a single feature, such as fastswim. there is a learning curve associated with the new weapons for sure. IMHO if you'd tried Highlander you'd be at least open to the idea that PX can open W:A up in a very good way to new strategic gametypes.

Fourthly: PX can indeed interfere with non-PX games. I think the bug has to do with the longbow. Easy solution: don't use your PX copy of W:A for non-PX games. the host can easily verify people's versions before the game starts.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:36 PM by j0e »

Offline StepS

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 01:07 AM »
Fourthly: PX can indeed interfere with non-PX games. I think the bug has to do with the longbow. Easy solution: don't use your PX copy of W:A for non-PX games. the host can easily verify people's versions before the game starts.
not only longbows, but also moles digging external girders. It's due to the land mask that remains unchanged for the rest of the gameplay. More details.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09 AM »
Secondly, I am too lazy/busy to promote PX myself, aside from random forum posts.

Then I propose we get back to the actual topic of WSC so we don't unnecessarily take you away from your precious time  :P

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Thirdly:
Quote from: LeTotalKiller
PX is so gameplay-changing that it sounds like it can't compete with non-PX schemes, imho.
it sounds like"??  have you even tried PX? (i think we've played PX together before, so this statement confuses me). how gameplay-changing or not-gameplay-changing PX is depends on the settings used! PX could be enabled just for a single feature, such as fastswim. there is a learning curve associated with the new weapons for sure. IMHO if you'd tried Highlander you'd be at least open to the idea that PX can open W:A up in a very good way to new strategic gametypes.

You didn't get me. <_< I just meant that it's sounds like you're trying to make 2 different games compete on the same playground. And sorry if I happened to be put off by brief PX experiences, I was pretty sure freedom of opinion existed.

But yeah, anyway, looking forward to WSC '14. ;) I really hope I can come up with imaginative ideas, for once.