Forums
May 02, 2024, 04:35 PM

Author Topic: Worms Scheme Contest 2014  (Read 1827 times)

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Worms Scheme Contest 2014
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44 PM »
Alright, sorry, I came across as too argumentative/confrontational in my previous posts, which made people get defensive and this conversation is falling apart now. I'm just gonna try to explain my position a little better and then I'll STFU after this post  ;)

I hope that Balee will consider allowing PX schemes, because I feel there is a lot more untapped potential there. PX isn't necessarily a "different game", it just simply opens up new possibilities. You don't have to put the new weapons, multiple crate spawns, etc, into your scheme. PX can have as big or as little an impact on the game as you want. For example it could be used to add a single new or modified weapon, slightly tweak a single piece of game logic, etc.

I too have seen "off-putting" elements of PX. Cheap-looking sprites, weird physics on things like the bowling ball and trampoline, error messages when you try to kamikaze, etc. The "portal gun" video seemed just a bit too radical at first, but when it's not being shown off like that (in rapid-fire) it's a really useful and cool utility. And there were big (crippling) performance issues on my old Pentium 4 computer.

At first these elements gave me the impression that PX as a whole was a kludgy and unprofessional hack-job. But now, having come to know PX, I realize it is actually very polished and user-friendly, in its main schemes at least. And the possibilities allow for some great new schemes with novel strategic gameplay to be developed. For a scheme to win this contest, it would have to be polished and user-friendly.

I would tentatively say that the most creative bunch of people active in the W:A community are those who are involved in creating stuff for PX. These people and their work could use some exposure and recognition... if not just to boost the player count of PX games a bit.

The fact that there might be difficulty comparing PX schemes with non-PX schemes is just an "apples and oranges" problem for the judges, which makes no difference to the player. But the result will be more competition and better, more varied schemes overall. Which is the whole point, right?

Anyway I'll stop talking now. If this post also came across as argumentative and confrontational, it wasn't meant that way. This is how they teach you to write stuff in High School and I never learned anything different :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:48 PM by j0e »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I have a PX Elite scheme, if you allow that, I'll sumbit that. Unless more work is required.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Balee

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 11:47 AM »
The reason I don't plan to allow PX submissions is that it interferes with the game way too much for my taste.

I also never managed to set it up and it made me go sour about it. I'm an angry bastard like that. :P

Offline Balee

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Okay, after a long hiatus mainly due to work and exams, I have finally set up an email address, since the last one wasn't working for some reason. Here you go.

wormsschemecontest@gmail.com

Again, the deadline is the first day of Worm Olympics, so make sure to check that site out too from time to time. :)