Forums
April 27, 2024, 01:58 PM

Author Topic: Leagues Updated to v1.9  (Read 4813 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

Leagues Updated to v1.9
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:51 AM »
10th season started with new generation of leagues on TUS. This is all the ideas I catched for v1.9 except NAiL's 'Tus Game Awards', which was a bit late, but I guess I'll include it soon.

However many things needs to be tested on this, till the next 24 hours, I'll try to fix all the bugs you may encounter.

This is the list of changes:

• System extracts chats from the games and view it in the game page. (Under the game map)
  • Games search connected to chats. So that you can search anything in TUS games database. Search guide will be updated with new details tomorrow.
  • Searching games got improved. Now it looks for all the words you typed and won't drop one by one.  (AND instead of OR)
  • Games search connected to cup games. Now it is possible to search entire game database, no matter if it is in cups or leagues.
  • Players and clans recieved variation of medals and trophies in seasons and schemes. (Both overall and specific season)
  • Now you can view all the activity of a player in all the seasons he has played in his profile.
  • Players above 1000 pts won't be able to reset their stats.
  • Winning Streaks
  • Graph of the player rating and its code to have on other sites.
  • You can compare 3 players graphs at the same time.
  • If the game is 1vs1, System shows the players country flag in recent game page.
  • Squad and country games got removed. Clanner games added to TNL.
  • Seasons info estimate the number of games till the end of the season.

This may be buggy since my connection has problem and do not let me run certain scripts. As I said I'll try to fix all the bugs in the next 24 hours.

Let the 10th season begin :)
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline beer

Re: Leagues Updated to v1.9
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:19 AM »
eya some bugs, but nice new tools (: vnj

drama queen iz back

Offline Atr0x

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:42 AM »
congratulation.  ;D

very nice work especially for this update:

#System extracts chats from the games and view it in the game page. (Under the game map),
will be possible at a later the weapons statistic in game for each players ? es: how many time a player use weapons and which damage.
# Graph of the player rating and its code to have on other sites.
# You can compare 3 players graphs at the same time.

bye  ;D

Offline Random00

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:32 PM »
First of all:
You're doing a really good job here, MonkeyIsland!
To be honest, last year (or was it even in 2008?!) after season 1 and 2 I thought that TUS would die soon, cause the rating system sucked (imo ;) ), site layout wasnt too good and some minor other things. But with your many updates and changes due to the demand of the community this site really improved a lot.

Then I have 1 question:
Is there any site where I can see all updates of the TUS league with their versions?
I remembered that there is some site like this around, but I couldnt find it...

• Players and clans recieved variation of medals and trophies in seasons and schemes. (Both overall and specific season)
I like this idea a lot, but I have some ideas to improve this feature. I'd like to have a personal settings panel where you can decide which trophies you wanna show on your page, because its a bit confusing for me if I see a profile with 15+ awards and I cant find out which of them are the important ones (like winning a season or being in top3 overall ranks). Therefore it could be also useful to just have the number of trophies written down e.g. next to the headline (like this: "Won Medals and Trophies (14)" with the images following below.).

• Winning Streaks
Thats a really cool feature imo. But it shouldnt show the last streak you had during a season imo. Its a lot more interesting to see the best and worst streaks in each season and also in the current one. For example if you did 40 games in season#6 and you won the first 39 games and then lost the last one it will show a -1 Streak for season#6, allthough you won 39 games in a row.

• Graph of the player rating and its code to have on other sites.
  • You can compare 3 players graphs at the same time.
By far the best new feature :)
I just have some minor suggestions to improve this: there should be some labels on the x-axis with the number of games on it. This should be generated dynamically due to the number of games you're showing (if you just watch at 5 games you can have a mark on the x-Axis for every game, but if you watch at 50 games its enough to have a mark every tenth game).
If possible I'd love to be able to also set the graph for overall games in a specific season.

• If the game is 1vs1, System shows the players country flag in recent game page.
I'd prefer having the Clan flag next to ones name and the country flag if you're clanless. But I dont have any information how other players think about that, so thats just my personla point of view.

To all the other changes: Good job, I like it ;)

and one last general point at the end: there is a lot of information on this site now, cause there is a very detailed database for nearly everything. now its important that everything is clearly arranged so you dont lose track.
..and sorry for this long post ;x

Regards Random00

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43 PM »
To be honest, last year (or was it even in 2008?!) after season 1 and 2 I thought that TUS would die soon, cause the rating system sucked (imo Wink ), site layout wasnt too good and some minor other things. But with your many updates and changes due to the demand of the community this site really improved a lot.

That's true what you said. In my point of view, 'TUS base' was great at the very beginning, but many players didn't give TUS a single chance.

Is there any site where I can see all updates of the TUS league with their versions?
I remembered that there is some site like this around, but I couldnt find it...

This page got lost in some changes I had made to the site, I just retrieved it back:
https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/#47

Before I reply to your suggestion,
This update were the most annoying update I did on the leagues. Basically because our leagues is so huge and I had to write installation scripts to browse all the league and set the settings. By browsing all the leagues, I mean browsing like 15,000 games. Still this update needs work and there are a lot of elements needs to be adjusted. So don't think 1.9 is done. I've just set it up. From now on we gotta tune it.

I'd like to have a personal settings panel where you can decide which trophies you wanna show on your page, because its a bit confusing for me if I see a profile with 15+ awards and I cant find out which of them are the important ones (like winning a season or being in top3 overall ranks). Therefore it could be also useful to just have the number of trophies written down e.g. next to the headline (like this: "Won Medals and Trophies (14)" with the images following below.).

You are right, for some players, medals are just a LOT! But I think if we come up to a good sorting method, they can all stay.
There are even more, that I'm not showing yet. For PO winner and runner up leagues will show a big trophy for them and in standings page, we'll show the next trophy that can be won.

for sorting, maybe we gotta sort them by: 'Schemes medals', 'leagues medals', 'Season Winner Trophy'?

if you did 40 games in season#6 and you won the first 39 games and then lost the last one it will show a -1 Streak for season#6, allthough you won 39 games in a row.

How should I show 39? and don't people wanna know what is your current streak? I mean +39 will encourage other people to take the player down but people want to see once he is down.
Or you mean adding another column which announces highest and lowest streaks?

but if you watch at 50 games its enough to have a mark every tenth game).
If possible I'd love to be able to also set the graph for overall games in a specific season.

Don't know if you have noticed or not. Next to your graph there are some options to change it the way you want. You can set in what season you want that graph. by default the 'max' is checked, it means it will show you the max games possible of that tiem period you have specified. If you uncheck the max, 2 fields gets activated. You can see for example 'first 50 games' or 'last 20 games' of a person.

The end of the X-bar will tell you how many games it is calculating for you. There is however a hidden option that I never displayed it. It is the dot element on each game. For example, This URL is comparing you and benz last 20 games of season 9:

https://www.tus-wa.com/leagues/graphs/members/Random00-classic-9-l20/?slot1=benz&dot=10

dot=10 means you want checkpoint on each game by circles with width 10.

I'd prefer having the Clan flag next to ones name and the country flag if you're clanless. But I dont have any information how other players think about that, so thats just my personla point of view.
Not all clans have flags. For example TaG and cFc never assigned a flag. Showing country flags was just to improve the visual look of recent games. But we are limited to that cell space. (How many flags can fit there)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:46 PM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Random00

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:29 PM »
First of all: IM SO DUMB!
I wrote a whole post, previewed it and somehow I managed to close the tab and the whole post was gone... so I hope that I write everything I wrote before now...

[...] This update were the most annoying update I did on the leagues. [...]
If I just look at the enormous amount of information that a user can see I can imagine how much data, files and code you have to fight with. So its important to have a good overview at all sites on tus and even on the code ;)

I'll just refer to the other topics by their names ^^

1. Flags
Ok, I see your point, so I guess its just better to let this like you implemented it :)

2. Trophies
Its a good idea to sort them according to their importance. But I have a general problem with the user's league profiles, especially when Im on a 10" screen netbook. Its just a huge amount of information there. So some jumping links on the top of this page would be very nice, so I can e.g. directly jump to the "Recent Games" part of each player by simply clicking on this link. This can also make browsing through "Recent Games" easier.

3. Graphs
This dot feature ios kinda nice and it replaces the missing labels on the x-axis.
And I also recognized the options next to the graph where I can set the options for the graph.
But I had another additional idea for graphs, It would be nice to have an additional option where you can choose between "Seasonal Rating" and "Overall Rating", so you can for example also view your changes in the Overall Rating in Season 9. I mean the graph doesnt look totally different, but you have just other lables on the y-axis, cause your overall rating isnt the same as your seasonal rating in general. I hope you get what I mean ;x

4. Streaks
I just made some images here for some better explanation:

The "All Seasons" summary like it is now.

My idea is to remove the "Last Streak" that is viewed there every season and replace it by "Best Winning Streak" and "Worst Winning Streak" every season.

The "All Schemes" summary like it is now.

My idea is to keep this "Current Streak" there and additionally add the "Best" and "Worst Winning Streak".

There is also the "Current Winning Streak" displayed at the standings page. I think thats just fine there to keep it and there's no need to add any more streaks there.

I hope I didnt forget anything to mention ;x

Offline GodiTo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Hey MonkeyIsland, you just made a very nice update for TUS :) Keep up the good working, and guys : keep up the good ideas :P

(EDIT : MonkeyIsland : Nice idea about TUS Wormnet) :P

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21 PM »
@Random00,

I tuned leagues more. I added index for the players page. So that you can 'jump' to various parts of the page.
I also added Max streaks as you described.

Enjoy :)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:51 PM »
MI

ur a star. This update to the league is awesome. Its exactly what will hopefully motivate players to be more active and care about winning playoffs and earning trophies.

However i agree with random00, there is abit of a trophey overload...

The most important trophies should be the season winner and the runner up. Also finishing #1 in standings for that season is good too..

For the scheme related trophies i suggest that they are only avaible for first place in seasonal scheme rating and overall. Not 2nd and 3rd. This would clear alot of trophies off some profiles and make them a little bit more important?
Prehaps a graphic similar to the WO olympic medals could be used? With a worm with a related weapon for that scheme. This would cut out some of the less important medals and give more value to the others.

The overall 1st scheme ratings would be quiet an achievement then and could have a different image to the seasonal scheme rating trophies. But only having them for 1st place is my main suggestion.

Then tweaking the graphics for the three types of season champions, seasonal scheme #1, and overall scheme #1 so they are easier to distinguist.

(many spelling mistakes in this post :p)

Offline Ray

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I agree with Tom here, golden trophy for PO winner, silver trophy for PO second, bronze for season's first.
Medals for: seasonal scheme first, overall scheme first. Some distinction for overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

And I think the different datas in the profile should be kept on different tabs, like the league's standing tables, where singles and clanners are on different tabs, just like that. One reason: you don't have to browse through pages long, second reason is however more important in my point of view, we can tune every single statistic separately.

Offline Random00

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:05 PM »
@Random00,

I tuned leagues more. I added index for the players page. So that you can 'jump' to various parts of the page.
I also added Max streaks as you described.

Enjoy :)

weeee, nice stuff :)
But I think there's still some little mistake in the calculation of the current streaks, cause for example guaton has a "0" streak, which shouldnt be possible.

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10 PM »
I forgot to add, this Streak idea was mine originally if I am not mistaken. Well I did not imagine to show a number in the standing table, but rather some image related to it.

For example:

Won 6 matches in a row: you are "warm"
Won 12 matches in a row: you are "very warm"

Lost 6 matches in a row: you are "cold"
Lost 12 matches in a row: you are "very cold"

Then in the Profiles, you could see the actual number of the Current Streak. Also, when you put your mouse over the image related to these, you could see the actual number.
Best Winning Streak and worst Losing Streak for both seasons and overall.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:12 PM by Ray »

Offline Random00

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:12 PM »
I personally would prefer a number, but there's not too much difference between these ideas ^^

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 03:20 AM »
The number would be shown in your profile, there are too many numbers in the standings table. :P

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 06:13 AM »
I need to create different medal (With scheme image on them). If someone can make medals for each scheme it'll be great. Otherwise I make them myself. It's also possible to make different trophy for each season and of course we'll show the current season trophy in some pages. (like the winner gets this)

@Random00,
System logs players streaks before a new game is reported in case of game deletion so that they need to go back to the streak they were. guaton had a game deletion before the new settings, and the system hadn't logged what his max streaks were. So it put it 0 there.
In 2-3 days all will be fixed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:38 AM by MonkeyIsland »