Forums
April 30, 2024, 06:51 AM

Author Topic: New plan for leagues  (Read 14641 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

New plan for leagues
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Every now and then people seem to get bored of the current league system and that's why I'm here for!

We've been experiencing 4-5 separate leagues in the past 3.5 years. This plan have worked good and have showed results. Wasn't perfect, but imo it worked. Many of you have been with this plan for long enough, so it is a good time to gather your ideas for tweaks or new plans for the leagues. (or even not touching it at all!)

Summery of current plan:

4 active leagues and 1 inactive, with completely separate ratings:
Classic League: (containing 8 schemes, the most popular ones)

• BnG
  • Roper
  • TTRR
  • Shopper
  • Team17
  • Elite
  • WxW
  • Hysteria

Free League: (containing 19 schemes, less popular schemes)

• Battle Race
  • Big RR/Tower
  • Boom Race
  • Bungee Race
  • Capture The Flag
  • Elemental
  • Forts
  • Golf
  • Holy War
  • Intermediate
  • Jetpack Race
  • Kaos
  • Mine madness/BnA
  • Mole Shopper
  • Parachute Race
  • Plop War
  • Pro
  • Super Sheep Race
  • Walk For Weapons

TEL, TUS Elite League, Only focusing on Elite scheme

TRL, TUS Rotated League, Focusing on one specified scheme each season voted by members.

TNL, TUS Normal League, Only focusing on Intermediate scheme, which is currently disabled due to inactivity.

Current new flawed/incomplete plan:

All leagues will be merged into one. There will be no Classic, TEL or anything. Instead, all schemes will have the opportunity to have playoffs if they get qualified by enough activity.
Each scheme receives its own season length. For example, 2 months for Elite, 3 months for Intermediate and after that system checks for the possibility of their playoffs. It is kinda like each scheme has its own league.

Since our community needs to know the best all rounders defined by certain schemes, system will pick the best 4, 8, 16 players of last seasons of all specified schemes (leagues), and set a playoffs combining of those schemes.

Pros: (will get updated more)
  • Since each scheme have the opportunity to have its own season and playoffs, certain scheme fans can focus on their own scheme and enjoy having playoffs for their own scheme. (Even for new schemes like Aerial)
Cons: (will get updated more)
  • It seems that after first seasons, people lose the motivation. When there comes a new scheme for TRL, it acts like an announcement: "New scheme!! Go go go!!" and that creates activity. With all schemes being there waiting for their PO, I guess system has the potential to get bored after few seasons.
  • A system like TRL, makes semi-fans of a scheme to participate (because there's no other scheme), this adds up to TRL activity to have possible playoffs (or does it?), with all the schemes being there, no scheme will have enough activity to have its playoffs. In other words, the activity required to have playoffs in certain scheme, will now split into small bits for each scheme and none will have the opportunity for playoffs.

Other ideas are welcome. Please think it through first and give us enough details.
I find division plans cool and interesting, but I don't support them because at this time, I think our community doesn't have enough activity to handle division plans.
There are 12 days left to new classic league. Depending how much this discussion goes, I don't think it would be possible to implement the new plan in 12 days. So a fair date would be at the end of the next classic league, probably along with the release of TUS2.

*If you like the new system, please post so that we can keep track.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:49 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Dub-c

Re: New plan for leagues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:02 AM »
My sugestion is not so much for the league, but the site.

I think the site in general is awesome, however, In my opinion, the sites home page could be improved. I think the focus point of the home page, and the site in general, should be the league itself. W2's league site had the top 20 right centered on the page. It was motivation and you wanted your name there. Everyone could see who is first and it made you want to be first. The home page here has a small block of past winners. The classic winners name from the last season should be huge on the home page aswell as the top 10 as the focus point.

I think if winning and being in the top 10 of the current season was more prestigious, it would actually increase activity.

I feel the focal point of tus is the site, when it should be the league itself. I hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I apologize, I think I misinterpreted what this thread was about. I thought it was for suggestions but its about the league system. I'm sorry, please remove my post.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:17 AM by Dub-c »
Your favorite ropers favorite roper

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08 AM »
system will pick the best 4, 8, 16 players of last seasons of all specified schemes

Can you specify how this is going to work?
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Throsti

• I am just Throsti

• Poland Poland
  • Pn Pn clan

• Paweł Abramowicz.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Interresing

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47 AM »
It is sort of the same system but turned into scheme-wise rather league-wise. Based on activity, system generates PO for 4, 8 or 16 players. For the most important playoffs (ex Classic league), system considers someone's performance in BnG, TTRR, Elite ... between some defined time.

I don't know how "picks" go. That must be discussed. For example, how people will find games in this system? For example someone only likes Elite. So is it OK to only search for TUS Elite games? The pick concept gets so weak in this case.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Hussar

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Maybe removing "2 picks system" will fix it............

we could ask for example on AG , "Tus roper any1?", "tus ttrr any1?" "tus t17 any1"  etc........

it will fix also "free wins"

ofc if players want play more games to other shemes its no problem, as they want but concept is in "1 sheme pick"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:54 AM by Berria »

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58 AM »
It is sort of the same system but turned into scheme-wise rather league-wise. Based on activity, system generates PO for 4, 8 or 16 players. For the most important playoffs (ex Classic league), system considers someone's performance in BnG, TTRR, Elite ... between some defined time.

I don't know how "picks" go. That must be discussed. For example, how people will find games in this system? For example someone only likes Elite. So is it OK to only search for TUS Elite games? The pick concept gets so weak in this case.

I don't understand.

If I understand correctly, you're still having a regular playoff to elect the best all arounder. What I'm asking is, how can one get into those playoffs? Can he achieve it by playing only one scheme?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:38 PM by ropa »
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Masta

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02 AM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:30 PM by Masta »

Offline avirex

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:16 AM »
i dont feel anything needs to change.... im not fully understanding whats going on here either.... all i do know is...

all this was started by 1 thread about hysteria...... yes, the scheme sucks... but im an oldschooler, so of course ill say that....   and the main voice in that thread (and again, in this short lived thread) is ropa.... who gives a shit about ropa? he dont even play... wtf...

dont change anything :X

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I am not saying this to quote 300, it just happens that these are the perfect words I can think of to describe this:

This is madness...

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:31 AM »
I am not saying this to quote 300, it just happens that these are the perfect words I can think of to describe this:

This is madness...
We rarely agree. Mainly because it is funny to make you mad by not agreeing with you. But I agree with this.

So what, there will not be picks? Not a Classic League for the real players and not a Free for all the lazy newbies who cannot compete seriously? I can pick Elite and my opponent can go "BOWCHUTERACEMADNESSSHOOTINGRANGESCHEME!"? And like Random00 will lose his overall points, which are like part of history?

This is so unclear, so stupid, I... can't even find words, if you go through with this, that will kill you site.

We are separated enough already! 5 years ago if you wanted to play in a league, you had to learn how to play first, now you people just seem to make up leagues, soon there will be Aerial league and this league and that league and cups and whatnot, STOP IT! Like you go to #AnythingGoes and you cannot find a game, although there are 120 people online, but some are asking TRL, TEL, THL, TWHATTHEf@#!NOTL, Free League, or finally you find a Classic but the guy says: oh I only play Hysteria, you cannot pick anything else.

This is totally ruined and you want to step one level further, great.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Ray, we do rarely agree, and I think everyone should pay very VERY close attention to your last 2 paragraphs.

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Ray, we do rarely agree, and I think everyone should pay very VERY close attention to your last 2 paragraphs.

It's funny, I said the same exact thing yesterday. One league, different ratings. Yes, in that same thread you're arguing against me.

This is the problem with trying to listen to the people. People who can't even listen to themselves.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Okay, I just had an idea. Since we know these forum threads always get out of hand - well, I'm not sure, but I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't pay any attention after 8 pages of this back and forth "I'm right." "No, I'm right, you are stupid." "No, you are stupid." thing - so here's what I suggest:

Let's have a meeting on Skype or whatever, something, where we can get together and talk, with our voices and share the ideas, best case scenario would be if some geek could record it and upload it on the site. But if we do this, we do it normally, not Italian-parliament-style, not this back and forth stupidity, normal, grown-up discussion where we share the ideas. We would actually be doing something and in just an hour we could do what this thread would do in months.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56 AM »

It's funny, I said the same exact thing yesterday. One league, different ratings. Yes, in that same thread you're arguing against me.

This is the problem with trying to listen to the people. People who can't even listen to themselves.

Hardly, this is a totally different situation, I say madness, because it's such a drastic change affecting hundreds and hundreds of players and for what, because no more than 10 players, half of which don't even play this game actively or competitively anymore, said "I don't like Hyst, me me me me"...

And Ray, I don't feel that your idea is fair on the other 99%