Forums
May 04, 2024, 02:19 AM

Author Topic: Group standings  (Read 938 times)

Offline MrTPenguin

Group standings
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:31 AM »
What's the exact formula for ranking the players in a group? Points come first, obviously, but in the event of two or more players being tied on points, there are numerous factors to consider, i.e. rounds won, rounds lost, round ratio, head-to-head result, matches played (unless technical wins are granted when games aren't played), player problems (e.g. disappeared and uncontactable), and relative position in overall ranking.

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: Group standings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:17 AM »
In leagues, there's ELO system to calculate points but Cups system is so simple. 5 points for each win and you get extra points for winning medals.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Wins are most important in groups, obviously. We don't have official rules for the rest for the simple reason that sometimes, you want the active cup player to proceed, for example, when there's a group where the group winner has played all games and won them all. Number 2 is between 2 people with 1 win, but 1 player played all his games, while the other only played 2.
If the group has 5 players, that could mean one player just could't be arsed to find the rest of his group.
I' rather not have that player in the KO, because he/she will most likely not bother to play the game.
Sometimes, a group in its entirety is inactive like that. I want cup mods to keep the option of not proceeding them.

Offline MrTPenguin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 02:39 PM »
It's a good idea to give the mods control, but what's the built-in rule for the "default" ranking? In a world where not all games are played, rewarding activity is definitely sensible. My concern however is that if you assess activity in terms of rounds rather than matches, then winning 2-1 becomes preferable to winning 2-0, because in the former case, you've played more rounds and hence have been more active.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46 AM »
I think generally, you are ranked by wins and then amount of games played. I don't think any other tiebreaker is used, but if you don't surpass someone, but reach the same score, you don't switch places.