Forums
May 10, 2024, 12:26 AM

Author Topic: Groups stage in cups  (Read 739 times)

Offline HHC

Groups stage in cups
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:33 AM »
It would be nice to have more options regarding the groups stage in Cups.

Particularly the 3-player groups bug me. They aren't so fun in groups stage and you'll end up with a massive knockout phase (with quite a big chance of facing an elite player in the very first round).

I know that if you remove the 3-player option it'll be hard to get the right number of players in (no more 6,12,24,48 as correct numbers to start a cup with). That's why I'm hoping to see either 6-player groups as alternative (it covers exactly those numbers) or make the group-count completely up to a mod's choice (groups of anywhere between 3 and (i dunno) 16? players). Same with the # of players to advance to k/o stage.

That way you can even make 24-player tourneys with 4 people in each group (1 and 2 advance + the best 4 players in 3rd spot). As odd as that may sound, it was the system used in the WC Football until a few years ago.

It would give MOD's a lot more options; decrease waiting-times (for the right number of sign-ups) and allow people more creativity in hosting their cup. For example, clans would be able to make a cup with 1 group of 12 players (all clan members) and at the end of the month advance the first 4 into k/o. That way they have their own little inner-clan league on TUS.
I think it would make a lot of people happy.

And maybe a final suggestion: allow people to sign up for a cup after it has already started, as to create a reserve list of players incase one drops out or fails to meet a deadline.

Offline Phanton

Re: Groups stage in cups
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:52 AM »
And if he chose to enter the key or weaker?
Miss, old's players..... Miss, old's times :)

Offline Hussar

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Nice idea HHC, am agree with u.

Offline HHC

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:09 AM »
And if he chose to enter the key or weaker?

?

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Host in a cup have the option to replace players. So if someone wants to join after, the host can easily replace him.
I'll consider the rest to see how it should be managed.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Host in a cup have the option to replace players. So if someone wants to join after, the host can easily replace him.

True, but players have to ask for it now and post in the thread. I figured an 'official' reserve list might be more useful (and more frequently used). But yeah, it's not the most important thing.