Forums
May 20, 2024, 02:55 PM

Author Topic: EAC 2014 - Smalltalk  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Ray

Re: EAC 2014 - Smalltalk
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Yea Almog, I also do this, just this way. Easier for me. I also take notes, like with Girders for example, I just draw a line every time it's used, then when my opponent is out of Girders, I black out the Girder on the picture of the inventory with the sharpy. This way, when I look down, I instantly see my opponent's inventory, except from the super weapon of course.

Offline Almog

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Heh ok, it's fun to know how others people do their games :]

Offline Joschi

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2014, 07:25 AM »
This would distract me a lot more then help me ;-)

When I played Intermediate on a decent level, I made notes, too. But I think at elite this isn't as necessary as as it is in Intermediate, for the simple fact that the set up is more simple.

But I like the idea behind this: play the game in a more and more professional way. Because of this, I am very mad about the fact that I have to play EAC on my netbook with a tiny resolution and a tiny keyboard. That doesn't allow big moves.

Offline Almog

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I also play on a notebook, for about 4-5 years. That never really disturbed me.
How big is your screen?

Offline Joschi

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I play on a mini notebook 10,2" :-) But only during the summer months, in september I will go back home where I have my normal computer.

Offline Almog

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2014, 08:59 AM »
yeah that is tiny. I got 15"

Offline Casso

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I have always played on a notebook too, but my screen is 15,6' and my resolution 1366x768.

I play better when I'm at university because I'm alone and connession isn't so bad. When I'm at home everyone call/distract me and it's hard to focus on game. It's no coincidence that I lost my last 3 matches in a row at home :(

Offline Crazy

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2014, 02:35 PM »
yeah that is tiny. I got 15"

15 is not huge either Almog, but whatever makes your gf satisfied I guess

Offline Crazy

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41 PM »
I play better when I'm at university because I'm alone and connession isn't so bad. When I'm at home everyone call/distract me and it's hard to focus on game. It's no coincidence that I lost my last 3 matches in a row at home :(

Interesting to read how you explain your recent drop in form Casso. During my studies in Sports Management I had some basic psychology focusing on athletes, and attribution theory was one of a few things I found interesting... Some of what defines a top-athlete is how they attribute their success and defeat. You attribute your bad results to external factors (that are out of your control), such as slow connection, telephone ringing, parents disturbing you and so on. I'm not buying it, it's too easy way out to explain your bad results. How does a bad connection have anything to do with how you perform in a turn-based game? It's not like it's making you screen-lag or anything. Are you receiving more calls from friends when you are at home vs at university? In that case, you could always turn off your phone for those 1-2 hours of playing.

The self-serving bias is the tendency to attribute successes to internal factors and failures to external/situational factors. This bias tends to increase as time passes after an event. Therefore, the further in the past an event is, the more likely people are to congratulate themselves for successes (internal) and to blame the situation (external) for failures.

You told me yourself that you always predict loss for yourself in EAC in the prediction game. Except in the games vs Joschi, myself and Ray. I assume this is because these were games you felt confident you were gonna win(no offence taken ;P). The games vs Ray and me were the ones where you did the most amount of mistakes so far in EAC. Coincidence? I doubt it.. If you'd try to attribute your poor results to internal factors, you might come to a different conclusion that could improve your performance later on in the championship: Did I underestimated my opponent? Did I lack focus and did I not concentrate 100%? Things like that, so that you don't make the same mistakes again (which you did vs me one week after the games vs Ray). Now you also lost your third game in a row to Almog at home, but chances are equally big in my opinion, that you'd lose to him in University as well. You're a great player Casso, you've had some really convincing wins in this championship, but if you want to be in the top with Random, Almog and so on, you have to be more critical to your own performance, IMO!

Offline SPW

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Some good psycho words, Crazy.  ;D But you are right and no offense to Casso. But you gave him the super trooper hint for the future. If he got it, he will win EAC 2015, even with Random00, Mablak and all the top players involved.

EAC is way different to play compare to normal tournaments. In a championship you have to play your best once a week, for several month. Only the very best will win it. There is no luck / bad luck over all the matchdays. You're rank never lies!

Casso and also Csongi are players with a very big potential to rule everything. But mental far away from Random00, Mablak, Almog. Also Ray and some others cant control their emotions. The winner is always the cooler. Like germany at wc. Skill and Control = Win!  :)

No offense to all of you. You know I love every ea member  ;D

Offline Casso

« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 03:37 PM »
I really appreciated these tips and I will try to put them into practice. However, I believe to be light years away from players like Random, Mablak and others top players. I would need many more years of practice to reach certain levels. Maybe in EAC 2020 :D

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:45 PM by Casso »

Offline Almog

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I wish to thank Crazy and SPW for their kind words.  :-[  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ray

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2014, 05:20 PM »
SPW, I would like to respectfully disagree with your statement. I think my playing and my recent results speak for themselves and I don't think at all that the lack of controlling my "emotions" are working against me, or not even sure what that means even.

Nice analysis there Crazy! I can something similar on myself too, although that's more related to extra pressure not because of confidence but rather recent results and personal wishes. I really wanted to beat Joschi because that would have put me to a place in the standings that I would have been satisfied with. Hence, I lost.

Offline Joschi

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2014, 06:43 AM »
You speak a lot of psychologics :) Just gimme a better hardware and I am already higher ranked :)

I dream of molotov throwings like Random, Ray or Casso are able to do. Random saied, for him it's only math. But on a 10' monitor you can't applicate Randoms concept. Recently somebody asked me if I am drunk, because I horrible failed the supersheep. But I have a far smaller image section then most of my opponents.

Offline Ray

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Yea Joschi, I told you the same thing, those notches are just mathematics, really, and on full HD it's very easy to do. More so, full power bazookas are also easy to calculate with the wind, usually one wind means roughly around 1.1 difference to the aiming, but that varies highly.