Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:39 PM

Author Topic: Steam - Offline mode(WNET works)  (Read 807 times)

Offline TheKaren

Steam - Offline mode(WNET works)
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:08 AM »
So, I thought it was pretty cool how WA works when using Steam in offline mode, just that you can connect to WNET while being in offline mode.

Anyone know any other Steam games that work this way, or is WA an exception because of the connection method?

Offline KinslayeR

Re: Steam - Offline mode(WNET works)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Multiplayer games need to connect to steam,  or they will automaticly disconect you in like 5-10 minutes.  I think only WA and few more games are exceptions for it, most games need this shit to be online, for example You cant play pubg being offline on steam, you can always set ur status as "not visible"  if that's what you want.   Anyway, in solo games like Resident Evil or the witcher, after  launch the game, You can close the steam and still You can continue playing, it will not count ur hours tho and other things, but in online games it is not possible, I dont know why WA works this way, maybe some kind of magic
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:43 PM by KinslayeR »

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Steam is only a service platform that help bring matchmaking, lobby, achievements, user settings stored in the cloud etc more easily. The game itself has to provide networking capabilities alone. A good game implementation will have the option to use any service like Steam, Epic Store by pointing to specific software libraries externally.

I think W:A was put on Steam with minimal support and isn't integrated that well with their services, it was just wrapped around Steam so people could buy it and have it on their library for easy access. :D

Btw, Epic has announced that they will bring such services for free to developers. I call this bogus because I think you'd still have to pay if you have large userbase, but sounds compelling.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I dont know why WA works this way, maybe some kind of magic

I only found it by accident as I wanted to play offline with Monster Hunter World, and forgot to go back online with Steam when I had WA launched so remembered I was offline immediately after connecting to Wnet, was a happy accident :)

Btw, Epic has announced that they will bring such services for free to developers. I call this bogus because I think you'd still have to pay if you have large userbase, but sounds compelling.

Yeah, I will avoid anything to do with Epic, I hate Epic with a passion, a big reason is for Fortnite which is tied to the main reason the way they steal/copy ideas and cash in on them.

I can understand why developers would be interested in this, but imo it's like trading your soul with the devil.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:56 PM »
what about patching WA from Steam to non-steam version?

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:16 PM »

How do you think WA existed before Steam was even invented?

Or are you suggesting taking a Steam version, and patching it so you can play without Steam?

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Yeah, I will avoid anything to do with Epic, I hate Epic with a passion, a big reason is for Fortnite which is tied to the main reason the way they steal/copy ideas and cash in on them.

I can understand why developers would be interested in this, but imo it's like trading your soul with the devil.

I'm also kinda a bit intimidated with it because such companies may become monopolistic in the field which is not good. They could force and lock certain features that one may become dependent on.

How do you think WA existed before Steam was even invented?

Or are you suggesting taking a Steam version, and patching it so you can play without Steam?

I don't see the point honestly, what Steam version offers, apart from incompatibility with wormkit modules?   :-[