Forums
May 05, 2024, 03:34 PM

Author Topic: TUS Parallel Leagues  (Read 2638 times)

Offline MonkeyIsland

TUS Parallel Leagues
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Hello,

As you saw in the home page, there's a new concept introduced along with TUS2.

For starters, just to give you a hint, this is the main concept:
A parallel league is an indirect league which you can't report directly but it works just as any other league.

The idea started when I wanted to test TUS league for classes introduced by some of our oldschoolers. The idea was that instead of having 8 schemes with classic league, we have 5 scheme classes as follows:

• BnG/Hysteria
  • Intermediate/Elite
  • Team17/Shopper
  • WxW/Roper
  • RR

As you can see, each 2 scheme are combined together and act as one class. In order to test this way without ruining TUS Classic league I created a first 'test league' which later evolved into a parallel league. For testing this league which is called Allround league, people doesn't  have to to anything! They continue playing classic league, but this time when they report a WxW game, system also auto-reports WxW/Roper class in allround league. This was basically my way to test the credibility of this new untested league.

So then it hit me, this test league actually have a lot of advantages:

• Great way of gathering statistics and test unstable leagues.
  • It doesn't affect main leagues' activity. If anything, it will increase their activity.
  • Parallel league has its own selection of schemes or combination of schemes. It doesn't need to alter schemes sets. For example, the Allround league borrows Intermediate from Free league without touching classic league.
  • Parallel league has its own seasons and timeline. Classic league could end, but allround would still continue to end of its season.

Are you following? Let me help you. With this system I can create SPW's 'TUS Default League' and create this league with all default schemes, maybe throw in forts there to spice it up without having to touch TUS main leagues. We can create 'TUS Racing League' and add TTRR, bungee race and parachute rate together. All parallel leagues without having to worry about the activity on main leagues.

So someone can ask for its own league in AG, for example 'TUS Default n1' or 'TUS Racing n1' and pick schemes from these leagues schemes sets. In order to avoid confusion around too many leagues, the report page is modified and league select box is removed. Instead you will something like this:

Parallel leagues have their own playoffs, medals and trophies. To avoid having too many playoffs, each parallel league has its own seasons. for example if classic league ends today, the allround parallel league could end a month later. All these info are viewable in seasons info page or in player's profile.

Back to our controversial classes, I'd added another parallel league called Allround2. This is the alternative classes suggested by some other members at the time of hair pulling and eye gouging :

• BnG/Hysteria
  • Intermediate/Elite
  • Team17
  • Shopper/WxW
  • Roper/RR

Both these 2 leagues first seasons are set to 3 months. After that, based on their results, one of them will get deleted entirely and the other one will remain as TUS Allround league.

There is also extra point system defined for having balance between your played schemes which will be covered in their own respective thread.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline HHC

Re: TUS Parallel Leagues
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15 AM »
Back to our controversial classes, I'd added another parallel league called Allround2. This is the alternative classes suggested by some other members at the time of hair pulling and eye gouging :

It's quite confusing (even without those two nearly identical class-leagues)  :o
btw, I think Allround1 will make it, it has all the schemes Allround2 has + RR.. sooo if anyone plays a regular RR game (lol), allround1 will be more active right?  :-X

Looks very promising indeed MI, lots of things you can do with it  :)

But yeah, I wished you had opted for just 1 of the class systems and make a different 2nd league already. It's kinda the same, but we'll see.
Btw, are there medals for seperate schemes as well?
Suppose I only wanna play Team17? If I win that, will I get a medal for winning T17 scheme ánd for winning overall2 Class-Team17 ?

edit: with so many leagues, cups, tourneys and challenges.. have you thought about adding that feature I proposed in the PDF a long while ago? The world ranking thingy? As to incorporate all the sub-leagues into a single overall score?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:21 AM by HHC »

Offline Devilage

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:54 AM »
can they pick inter? in classic league?

Smoking proud.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:04 AM »
No. But they can play Allround league and pick from that scheme set which includes Intermediate.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:17 PM »
I miss one option, if we have a league in which we participate against our will - this is basically it - can you throw in a select box here so I can individually set that in which playoffs I'd like to participate?

I would like to be part of the Classic League, but not the other ones.

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:19 PM »
I miss one option, if we have a league in which we participate against our will - this is basically it - can you throw in a select box here so I can individually set that in which playoffs I'd like to participate?

I would like to be part of the Classic League, but not the other ones.

+1

But I think Ray we can take it one step further.  Ppl could have boxes about whether they want to participate in ANY league PO if they make it there. This way, ppl who just wanna play 400 games per season but not play the PO could just be automatically not counted in the "PO position #__".

The fact that your points in schemes show in the Allround leagues  Ray I dont think should be a worry since you dont care,  as long as you choose the option  "not interested in PO."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:24 PM by Desetroyah »

Offline darKz

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17 PM »
But I think Ray we can take it one step further.  Ppl could have boxes about whether they want to participate in ANY league PO if they make it there. This way, ppl who just wanna play 400 games per season but not play the PO could just be automatically not counted in the "PO position #__".

The fact that your points in schemes show in the Allround leagues  Ray I dont think should be a worry since you dont care,  as long as you choose the option  "not interested in PO."

I'm 95% sure such a checkbox already exists in every user's profile or settings page. Can't be bothered looking for it now though. :D

Knew it, it's in the League Settings part of your profile. It says "Playoffs participation".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:11 AM by darKz »
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline van

• van-the-dral

• Poland Poland
  • RoH RoH clan

• Death to the randomness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28 AM »
Obviously he knows that, he meant a separate checkbox for each league.

Offline Desetroyah

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51 AM »

:-*

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 03:13 AM »
if we have a league in which we participate against our will

That's true but it's not right to say it like that. Classic league consists of 8 schemes whether you like it or not. That is against your will too. Any structure of a system will limit you to its own way.

On the side, why would be a bad thing you get to qualify for a different PO? Isn't it another chance to win a title?

Offline Devilage

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:11 AM »
I stick to classic league, trl, and tel if u bring it back, but as ray, i dont think ill be part of those others, so would be nice to be able to not participate at all.

Smoking proud.

Offline Doubletime

• Sweden Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 11:30 AM »
This sounds like an excellent idea actually...Maybe you could ressurect tel as well for 1 season too see how it plays out :D ?

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Very curious to see the difference between allaround1 and allaround2 at the end of the season
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I thought noone understood me. :-*

if we have a league in which we participate against our will

That's true but it's not right to say it like that. Classic league consists of 8 schemes whether you like it or not. That is against your will too. Any structure of a system will limit you to its own way.

On the side, why would be a bad thing you get to qualify for a different PO? Isn't it another chance to win a title?
If I refuse to play the Classic League, I can do that. I want to play the Classic League and that automatically makes me participate in the other leagues as well, so yes, I do participate in those leagues against my will. What does having 8 schemes have to do with this? I don't get it.

Anyway, I don't say it's a bad thing, I'm just absolutely not interested in it, that's all. So if I could have the option - which I should have - to manually select which playoffs I would like to participate in and which not, I'd be glad. Otherwise, it will be just a confusion and warning and bans and whatnot for not playing my playoffs games, but in fact, I never even see that I'm in the playoffs, because I'm not following them. Heck, I won't even know about my warning as I don't follow that league's playoffs thread!