Forums
April 29, 2024, 08:58 AM

Author Topic: Why does the system still calculate new points with the old score...  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Face

Re: Why does the system still calculate new points with the old score...
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 11:06 AM »
System is pretty unfair indeed. There could be players who would lose on purpose one season just to get more points in the next season and make their way to playoffs easier. I noticed that, because first season I almost didnt play any games, and now Im getting tons of points whenever I win. That should be changed IMO.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 04:37 PM »
The system changed today.

Now players/clans/country ranks are reset after each season too. But still you can view their rank by all the games they have done, by setting time machine to "Show all together".  It means that the info is not lost. System just reset them for each season while keeping the stat for every season and game.

It was part of v1.6 but I see lot of people lost their patience. so it came sooner.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 04:42 PM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Dario

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 05:02 PM »
The problems:
-People don't want their points to get reset every season. With the current points system resetting the points also means noobashers can keep on bashing the same noobs the bashed in the previous season.

-Ranks (elite, average, newbie, etc) seem not to work well enough, because a new player in the league get's too much advantage from that. I think it is good enough and only needs time, but obviously the rest of the players don't think the same and don't want to wait until this synergistic system starts working smoothly.

-If you don't reset the points, then after some months those who have played many games will have such an amount of points that it will be impossible for a new player, no matter how good he could be, to reach them.

-----------------------

Alternative solution:

-Forget about ranks when calculating points (elite, average, newbie, etc.).
The points obtained and lost should no longer depend on that.

-Never reset the points
If in one season you had 5000 points, in the next season you won't necessarily go back to 1000.

-The points a player gets as base points for the next season could be proportional to the points he had at the end of the previous season (obviously less) so that a top-top-top player would still be inside the reach of new league players.

-All the scores get adjusted in the exact same way
Obviously you can't divide by 100 the points of the top player while you are dividing by 5 the points of other players.

-A new player should get an average amount of starting points
Someone who is new to the league shouldn't start with too many points compared to the other players because you could be turning a total newbp into a juicy target for noobashers who would pop each other eyes out fighting to be the first in sucking up the newb juice.
Also someone who is new to the league shouldn't start with too few points, otherwise if he turns out to be a good player he will have a really hard time at finding other good players to play with because they'd all be scared of losing too many points.
----------------------

Expected effects of this:

-If you had a good performance during the previous season you will have a small (depending on the adjustment used the advantage could be smaller or bigger) advantage during the next season. If you proved to be really good and active during one season you can relax, just a bit, the next one.

-At the beginning of a new season, newbs that played in previous seasons won't have too many points compared that good wormers that played in previous seasons. Therefore good wormers won't get much from noobbashing, because newbs will be just too low for them to get any significant profit.

-A new player, should be able to reach and even outrank top players of previous seasons if he is good enough. Because top players, even if they start with a certain advantage in points, won't have too many.

------------

Things to consider:
Finding out the best points adjustment from one season to the next one won't be an easy nor fast task, it will take some seasons to know which adjustment generates scores low enough so that new players can reach them and high enough to prevent a noob-bashing outbreak.
The first thing that comes to my mind is dividing by something the points of the top player so that the score gets reduced to a defined number (could be 1000?, 1500?, no idea.) and divide all the other scores by the exact same something .
Momentarily not playing TUS league games.

Offline f4st

• Spain Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 08:47 AM »
Nah Dario stop dreaming, Monkey did what 63.24% of ppl wanted, new season new rank, if u r a no0basher u will be no0basher always (i dont mean u, in general), isnt a problem of the system. Now i can play with all ppl in TuS and dont need to care bout his ranks, that 6 first days with old ranks i lost at least 200 points against Shaggy and Face cause they didnt play in 1st season. Now its fair and still funny.
Ty Monkey ;*
STAxDoubletime> My english is better than youre's

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53 AM »
The most problem I see, is people can't wait. They can't wait to give TUS some time to adjust itself as Dario mentioned too.
Another problem is our community being small, not so many players around.

Personally I don't think reseting both stats and points is a long time solution.
There ARE solutions with the "good players that are newbie in TUS" and I guess we can prevent noob bashing more.

-A new player should get an average amount of starting points
Someone who is new to the league shouldn't start with too many points compared to the other players because you could be turning a total newbp into a juicy target for noobashers who would pop each other eyes out fighting to be the first in sucking up the newb juice.
Also someone who is new to the league shouldn't start with too few points, otherwise if he turns out to be a good player he will have a really hard time at finding other good players to play with because they'd all be scared of losing too many points.

First of all, Thanks a lot for this post, not so many people go to this much trouble thinking for making it better. I'm grateful for that :)

I think if we give the new player an average amount of points, the bad thing about it is, It may make some people to register again with new account to have such advantage.

How you think about this:
like the forum that group people by their post, we have such groups for the games people play in TUS in total, not seasons.

How many games in an specific scheme you think someone must play in TUS, that we find out his true rank?
Lets say it is 40 games you need in every scheme to have your true rank.

So for example :
1 - 10  games -> Newbie
11 - 20 games -> Jr. Member
21 - 30 games -> Full Member
31 - 40 games -> Sr. Member
over 40 games -> Hero Member

atm, if a low ranked player beat the high ranked player, system gives him "their rank difference multiply 5"

Now this time system check their level in playing games. it finds out their level difference first. then consider that in the calculation points.

For example :
Player A has played 60 games in RR. (a hero member : level 5)
Player B just came to the league. (a league newbie : level 1)

Now Player B beats player A in RR, So He gain  :

"Their points level difference" Multiply "5 - Their difference in playing TUS"

If they are elite and absolute beginner, then it will be :

40 +      (20 - 1) * (5 - 4) = 59 points  <-- Instead of gaining 135 points.

Hope it is clear enough.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:59 AM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.